Our Lady of Fatima Church
160 Concord Rd
Sudbury, MA 01776

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Same here. I was nervous. Took me a long time to come to terms that I had had a heart attack.

In my case an echogram showed that I had a heart attack sometime in the past and never knew it.....they did the advanced test and heart was OK

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2018-2-16_19-31-29.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Steve Conroy writes

Conroy: Steve Harris missed by his family and Boston hockey community

Steve had a great feel for the game. Just last November, when almost everyone – this colleague included – thought the Bruins should turn to backup goalie Anton Khudobin to make a start over the then-struggling Tuukka Rask, Steve wrote it was time for coach Bruce Cassidy to show confidence in Rask. Cassidy gave the nod to Rask, who beat Tampa went on a 19-0-2 run that turned the season around.

Some might beat their chests for being so right, but that wasn’t Steve’s style. And he was respected for it.

“It is hard to imagine the press corps that covers the Bruins without (Harris’) presence,” said Bruins president Cam Neely, whom Harris also covered as a player. “Over the years, the media landscape has gone through many changes, but Steve’s integrity as a journalist was always a constant,” said Bruins president Cam Neely.

Said Bruins general manager Don Sweeney, another executive Harris covered as a player, “He cared more about smaller details that would help shape a bigger picture and tell an accurate story, than just the headline.

“You could have a conversation with Steve about life or the game...both revealing him to be genuine.”

Steve had a passion for the sport and the job, but never made it out to be rocket science. He wasn’t pretentious, coming from a time when you got into sportswriting because it was supposed to be fun. And though he bristled at the tightly-controlled message in today’s sports world, he managed to have his fun both recently and back in the day.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have known Steve for over 40 years going back to the Elliot Lounge.

He put family first and he and his wife decided to buy a home in Sudbury so their 2 sons would have a good education. He had a good salary at the Herald but a mortgage in Sudbury was a big nut.

Most game nights he used the commuter rail and his 'last call' would be the last train to Fitchburg on the commuter rail and maybe time for a quick one at the 99 in West Concord.

He was under some stress as the Herald went bankrupt a couple of months ago and his pension was in limbo. He just wanted to finish this season as the beat was fun again.

A ton of good memories being on the road with him and none better than 6/15/11 when we in the same van that fled to Seattle to party as Vancouver burned down. One lasting memory was taking him to a White Sox game in Chicago and showing him there was a true neighborhood around the White Sox ballpark.

I am heartbroken over this :cry:

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
As part of my daily routine when I check the internet, the Boston Herald's Bruins Beat is one of my must read sites. I enjoyed reading columns by Stephen Harris as he always seemed to have a good perspective on the Bruins which helped temper the ups and downs of being a fan of the team.

Steve Conroy's column today was a wonderful tribute to his departed colleague and friend.

May Stephen Harris Rest in Peace.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

He put family first and he and his wife decided to buy a home in Sudbury so their 2 sons would have a good education. He had a good salary at the Herald but a mortgage in Sudbury was a big nut.

Most game nights he used the commuter rail and his 'last call' would be the last train to Fitchburg on the commuter rail and maybe time for a quick one at the 99 in West Concord.

He was under some stress as the Herald went bankrupt a couple of months ago and his pension was in limbo. He just wanted to finish this season as the beat was fun again.

A ton of good memories being on the road with him and none better than 6/15/11 when we in the same van that fled to Seattle to party as Vancouver burned down. One lasting memory was taking him to a White Sox game in Chicago and showing him there was a true neighborhood around the White Sox ballpark.

Great post @Fenway. Too often we forget that these folks have families and face the same pressures and ups and downs like the rest of us (and likely more since they spend so much time away traveling, meeting deadlines, etc.)

Most of us tend to think that these people are all set, make great money, have the best benefits and don’t have to worry about making ends meet. Your post puts this all in perspective. It sounds like Mr. Harris was under a tremendous amount of stress and worry about making sure his family was taken care of.

I sincerely hope his family find some solace and peace knowing they had someone as great as everyone is saying he was as part of their lives.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Sorry Fenway. :( Hard to lose a friend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad