NHL RIP Stan Mikita

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I believe he was the only other Slovak besides Chara to captain an NHL team.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
RIP

He was a helluva player.

Two ironies about Mikita: 1] When he came into the league, he was considered a nasty, even dirty player. He went on to win the Lady Byng trophy twice. 2] Mikita was also one of the first to adopt a helmet. It's sad that he apparently had dementia, and had no memory of his playing days.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
stan_mikita_donuts_nhl.0.jpg

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Hated playing against this dude.

Classy guy, one of hockey's greatest Ambassadors

R.I.P., forever in our hearts

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
My dad was Blackhawks fan back in the day and Mikita was always his fav player. RIP Stan, he was a heck of a player.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
RIP

He was a helluva player.

he sure was, one of my earliest memories in this game was living in TO, Dad took me to a Leafs vs Hawks tilt, I was about 8 or 9 years old and Makita was a year or two away from retiring yet still was a player who my eyes followed often. I had already claimed the B`s as my team but I immediately liked him and loved the Hawks jersey`s so the Hawks became my #2 team, still are to this day if I`m allowed to say that here?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Two ironies about Mikita: 1] When he came into the league, he was considered a nasty, even dirty player. He went on to win the Lady Bing trophy twice. 2] Mikita was also one of the first to adopt a helmet. It's sad that he apparently had dementia, and had no memory of his playing days.
Changed his approach after 4 or 5 years;
Intelligence, though, often bowed to emotion during the first chapter of Mikita’s career, when he made frequent trips to the penalty box. In 1966, his daughter, Meg, pointed this out in what became a crystalizing moment for the young father.
“She said, ‘Daddy, when that guy in the stripes blew the whistle, why did Uncle Bobby [Hull] go sit with his friends and you went all the way across the ice and sat by yourself?” Mikita told Sportsnet’s Dave Zarum in 2012. “And I almost cried, because as a six-year-old, she knew better than I did.”
The numbers would tell you Mikita completely altered his approach after that conversation. He went from posting 146 PIM in 1963–64 and 154 in 1964–65 to 12 in 1966–67 and 14 the year after. The 26 minutes combined he compiled during those latter two campaigns represented a lower total than he posted in all but one of his other 19 seasons.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I'm dating myself but I enjoyed his book "Inside Hockey" which was a classic teaching the fundamentals for youth players...I suddenly have an urge for a Stan Makita Donut!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad