RIP Red Wings Legend Ted Lindsay

Member 308457

"Terrible" Ted Lindsay passed away yesterday aged 93. Besides being in the HHOF and an 11 time all star, he was captain of the Red Wings from '52-56 and had his number 7 retired in 1991. Another nickname was "Old Scarface" because of the 600 stitches he got, mostly on his face.

They made a fictionalized movie about him called "Net Worth" where he helped start the NHL Players Association.

It starts here in four parts:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
What?? I hadn't heard about this. What a shocker.

I love Terrible (Wonderful) Ted. He was always such a great interviewee and his love for the game came shining through.

He must have been an absolute nightmare to play against, and I mean that as a great compliment.

Eight times a 1st-team All Star at Left Wing... that's insane. 19 points in 11 games in the '55 playoffs.

What I always think about with Ted is his coming out of Renfrew and Kirkland Lake (where my aunt/uncle and cousins live) to move to the big city (Toronto) in his mid/late-teens to play for the St.Michael's Majors, at a Catholic school. He had some good stories about those days.

Ted used to hang out at the gym and such with Yzerman, Fedorov and the late 90s' Wings. He was a great fan of the game.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Farewell Terrible Ted Lindsay. Played much bigger than his stature. Dad Bert played in The NHL also...

51n5V7TSV6L.jpg
230px-Bert_Lindsay_Victoria.png

HawkNut

Jun 12, 2017
R.I.P. to a true legend, a man who they renamed the Pearson in his honor for. The man was the definition of excellence and from what I read, started the tradition of skating the Cup around the ice.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Great and important player. Very interesting character both as a player and a retiree.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
R.I.P. to a true legend, a man who they renamed the Pearson in his honor for. The man was the definition of excellence and from what I read, started the tradition of skating the Cup around the ice.

Fascinating. never knew that

Member 308457

Lindsay is credited in 1950 with beginning the ritual in which the championship team skates around the rink with the Stanley Cup. Lindsay downplayed his role, saying he simply wanted to bring the Cup closer to the fans.

"I saw it sitting there, and I thought, 'I'll just pick it up and I'll take it over.' ... I just moved along the boards. I didn't have it over my head. I had it so they could read it," he said in 2013. "I wasn't starting a tradition, I was just taking care of my fans that paid our salary."

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
RIP Ted. The Production Line reunited on the great rink in the sky.

I believe this leaves Red Kelly and George Armstrong (2 games) as the last living Hall of Famers who played in the 1940s.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
A co-worker of mine once told me that when he met Ted Lindsay about 10 years back or so and called him "Terrible Ted" that Lindsay responded in a mock way of being offended by it. It was sort of a joke, but I think my friend got the idea that Ted didn't like the "Terrible" nickname all that much. Just his viewpoint at least. Come to think of it, even though it was out of respect that is a pretty awful nickname to be attached to your name when you think of it.

Anyway, this guy had guts on and off the ice. Laid the groundwork for the much needed union. Even if it took 10 years after he first tried.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ray ferraro told a story on the radio yesterday about how ted lindsay skipped his own hall of fame induction because it was a men-only event and he said, if my wife can't come then i don't want to be there.

Reactions: Tarantula

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
Whenever one of these fellows passes, the turn-of-the-millennium Legends Of Hockey profiles should be required viewing.

Hell of a quote from Terrible in his 24-minute profile. Main board denizens are fond of saying how much easier the old game looks on video, and how difficult old-school star-caliber players would find today’s game. But players ran a much different gauntlet in those days.

“A lot of the viewers today wouldn’t understand the athletes of our time, in a six-team league. I am speaking of my profession: We, the Detroit Red Wings and I, Ted Lindsay. I hated every guy I played against. And I must say that the opposition - whether it be Toronto, Montreal, New York, Boston, Chicago - they felt the same way. And this was a feeling, it was a feeling of hate. It’s a wonderful way to play hockey. No coach ever has to get you up. When you’re in a competitive body contact sport, there are no friends. And they don’t ask for any more ice than you want to give them, and you don’t get any more ice than they are going to give you.” - Ted Lindsay (Legends of Hockey: A Personal Journey), 2001.

“It’s a wonderful way to play hockey.” Wow! File that one beside Potvin’s line about loving getting hit and playing angry.

I believe you, Ted. RIP.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
When Stan Mikita was a rookie, Lindsay was still playing for the Hawks. Both Mikita and Lindsay were of smaller stature so Stan thought he would ask Ted for some advice on playing in the NHL. Ted's advice was "Hit them first"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad