Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Please refrain from any political comments

636601077337687142-george-hw-bush.JPG

Former President George H.W. Bush dead at 94

George H.W. Bush, who in one term as president reasserted the U.S. as the world's lone superpower, rallying an international coalition against Iraq's Saddam Hussein in the first Gulf War and presiding over the fall of the Berlin Wall and subsequent collapse of the Soviet Union, died on Friday. He was 94.

The announcement of his passing was made in a statement by former President George W. Bush.

"Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro and I are saddened to announced that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died," his son President George W. Bush said in a statement released Friday night.

"George H.W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for. The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41's life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens," the statement read.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
It's difficult to be non-political in this post so I'm going to do the best I can here.

I will say that while I am not on... I disagreed with a lot of Bush's ideals. But I never had the sense that he was selfish in his perspective. I think he had Americans as his priority and I'll always respect him for that.

And f***, do I ever miss respectfully disagreeing with the president.

R.I.P. and best wishes to his family during this time.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's difficult to be non-political in this post so I'm going to do the best I can here.

I will say that while I am not on... I disagreed with a lot of Bush's ideals. But I never had the sense that he was selfish in his perspective. I think he had Americans as his priority and I'll always respect him for that.

And ****, do I ever miss respectfully disagreeing with the president.

Politics blurs into history. I didn't agree with him on many issues but he never made my blood boil either.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Rest In Peace Mr. President.

His inauguration was the first one I had ever seen. I remember my class watched it on a giant rolling tv and my teacher taught us about him because he was from Maine.

I was too young to have any opinion but I never heard a bad thing about him from my Uber political family.

He and Barbara are together again.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Until I met my wife I never believed in a broken heart being able to kill you. I know he was in bad health but once he lost the love of his life, he probably was lost. I’m glad he will be able to be by her side again. I thank him for his service to our country both as president and in the armed forces. Rest In Peace sir.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Excellent post. Well said.

He had a long life of service.

R.I.P.

Reactions: rfournier103

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
My uncle’s dad was on the sub that rescued him during the war. For years they had his service revolver & holster on display. They gave it back to him in 2007. It’s now at the Constitution Center:

Brostrom was the sonar man on the USS Finback, which rescued Bush, a Navy pilot, after he was shot down by Japanese anti-aircraft fire on Sept. 2, 1944. Brostrom brought the future president to the infirmary and later shared his bunk with him.
“It was a little grubby in there, but that’s how it was done in those days,” Bush said. He gave Brostrom the revolver in gratitude.
Ron Brostrom, 59, of Chester Springs, Pa., said his father never spoke to his family about the war, except for the kindness and sense of humor of the combat pilot who gave him the revolver.
“We only knew it was a 20-year-old lieutenant,” Ron Brostrom said.
The family did not realize who the pilot was until 1980 when Bush — then a vice-presidential candidate — announced he was looking for crew members from the submarine.
“Dad was kind of like, ’The kid did OK,”’ Brostrom said with a laugh.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
My uncle’s dad was on the sub that rescued him during the war. For years they had his service revolver & holster on display. They gave it back to him in 2007. It’s now at the Constitution Center:

Brostrom was the sonar man on the USS Finback, which rescued Bush, a Navy pilot, after he was shot down by Japanese anti-aircraft fire on Sept. 2, 1944. Brostrom brought the future president to the infirmary and later shared his bunk with him.
“It was a little grubby in there, but that’s how it was done in those days,” Bush said. He gave Brostrom the revolver in gratitude.
Ron Brostrom, 59, of Chester Springs, Pa., said his father never spoke to his family about the war, except for the kindness and sense of humor of the combat pilot who gave him the revolver.
“We only knew it was a 20-year-old lieutenant,” Ron Brostrom said.
The family did not realize who the pilot was until 1980 when Bush — then a vice-presidential candidate — announced he was looking for crew members from the submarine.
Thanks for sharing this. Great story!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Great post

Reactions: rfournier103

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I teach civics and US History.

As a political historian, I agree that it’s difficult to separate the two at times.

Having said that, this letter has always had a special place in my heart as to what America means.

I leave it here without comment (BruinsAura beat me to it)

Dear Bill,
When I walked into this office just now I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that I felt four years ago. I know you will feel that, too.
I wish you great happiness here. I never felt the loneliness some Presidents have described.
There will be very tough times, made even more difficult by criticism you may not think is fair. I'm not a very good one to give advice; but just don't let the critics discourage you or push you off course.
You will be our President when you read this note. I wish you well. I wish your family well.
Your success now is our country's success. I am rooting hard for you.
Good luck—
George

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
A very sad reminder that the greatest generation is leaving us behind more and more everyday. He came from a privileged family, yet put his life on the line in the air; over the ocean; in very real combat against very real enemies. That to me speaks volumes.

It was a very different time, and those were very different men.

May the Lord bless him and keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad