RIP Pat Patterson - 79

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
RIP, a true legend and pillar of the business as it has existed for the past few decades, to which many don't realize the extent.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Definitely one of the most important figures in wrestling over the last 40 years, but he leaves a questionable legacy that’s hard to ignore.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Definitely one of the most important figures in wrestling over the last 40 years, but he leaves a questionable legacy that’s hard to ignore.
If you are referencing the ring boy scandal the guy who accused him turned out to be a smooth talking conman and Patterson was a victim who did nothing wrong.

Reactions: CDJ

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Didn't Roddy Piper give a "read between the lines" type of admission regarding things Patterson did to him?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I remember Patterson coming back to Montreal for one last run in the early 1980's. They did an angle where Jacques Rougeau was severely injured by some of the local heels so Raymond Rougeau brought in a guy he knew he could trust in Patterson. Soon after winning the IC tag team belts Patterson turned on Rougeau and on the next big card they had a singles match where the winner could pick his tag team partner and become the new tag team Champions. Patterson won and picked Pierre " Mad Dog " Lefebvre as his new partner. Over the next few months the Rougeau Brothers ( Jacques had made a miraculous recovery and it was revealed that Patterson himself had set up the attack on Jacques offering a bounty to anyone putting Rougeau on the sidelines ) and Patterson & Lefebvre had a lot of great matches with the tag belts going from one team to the other. My favourite part of the angle was that Patterson was now calling himself " Le Reve du Quebec " which translates to the Quebec Dream and he always liked to point out that he was the dream of every woman in Quebec and the nightmare of every man. ;)

Pat_Patterson_r_ve92aed669-7886-4202-bd2f-c565e33d52f1_ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Didn't Roddy Piper give a "read between the lines" type of admission regarding things Patterson did to him?

He did around the time that they were on Legends House together... I'm not sure if it was credible. Hard to say. Wrestlers often make wild statements and Patterson was a somewhat easy target given his high profile and that he was one of the only openly homosexual people working in a spot like that.

I've seen a few Patterson matches and he was solid for the time. He was definitely a big part of some good WWF years behind the scenes. Most people spoke pretty positively about him.

Reactions: CDJ

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Was he openly homosexual during that stage of his career? - I mean, I think people assumed he was, but he openly came out on Legends Show, no?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
normally I wouldn't like paying respects to a pedofile, but he came up with the Rumble and was the first IC champ, so RIP king.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It was more Lord Alfred Hayes that Piper was referring to in that interview. That was actually really tough to watch.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Was he openly homosexual during that stage of his career? - I mean, I think people assumed he was, but he openly came out on Legends Show, no?
Publicly he came out at legends house. In his personal life, including his career with WWE, he came out long ago. His longtime patterned was as much a part of the work family as was anyone else’s partner or other loved ones.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Publicly he came out at legends house. In his personal life, including his career with WWE, he came out long ago. His longtime patterned was as much a part of the work family as was anyone else’s partner or other loved ones.
Yeah. I knew there was always that speculation but never knew he came out long before.

I remember the shoot interview with Piper. It was pretty uncomfortable - Not because he went into detail, but because he seemed tormented by it.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Interesting guy with a very complicated legacy.

I thank him for booking not only one of my favorite wrestling matches, but probably one of the top five entertainment moments of my childhood in Hogan vs. Warrior at WM VI.

He was a creative force that made wrestling fun in the golden age. And he was funny as one of The Stooges.

The other stuff, I'm not at liberty to make comments on. When wrestlers like Al Perez give vivid details, are they just making it all up? I can't say.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Interesting guy with a very complicated legacy.

I thank him for booking not only one of my favorite wrestling matches, but probably one of the top five entertainment moments of my childhood in Hogan vs. Warrior at WM VI.

He was a creative force that made wrestling fun in the golden age. And he was funny as one of The Stooges.

The other stuff, I'm not at liberty to make comments on. When wrestlers like Al Perez give vivid details, are they just making it all up? I can't say.

Google search only came up with this:

The beginning of the end in the WWF occurred when he had a meeting with Vince McMahon’s top aide, Pat Patterson. Patterson sat on a table that Perez was at and started talking about his potential. According to Perez, Patterson said, “You know what’s good about you Al? You can go either way.” Al, knowing that Patterson was gay and had a reputation of coming on to other talents, took that comment as Patterson coming on to him and kicked the table Patterson was sitting on. Pat insisted that was not what he meant by saying could go either way. He supposedly meant it as being a heel or a babyface.

That sounds like nothing. Or rather makes this Perez guy seem prejudiced.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad