RIP Nick Bockwinkel

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Crap - another wrestling great has left us. :(

bockwinkel1.png

from wrestlinginc.com:

According to the Cauliflower Alley Club, legendary pro wrestler Nick Bockwinkel has died at the age of 80.

Cauliflower Alley released the following statement:

"It is with a heavy heart the Cauliflower Alley Club announces that The Greatest AWA World Champion of all time and former CAC President Nicholas "Nick" Bockwinkel passed away Saturday night at approx. 8:40 pm due to health issues. We will have more on this later Sunday afternoon. The Cauliflower Alley Club, it's members, and all of Nicks fans & friends send their condolences to Darlene & the Bockwinkel family at this time.

The Bockwinkel family ask for everyone to respect their privacy at this time."

Bockwinkel is a member of the WWE Hall of Fame, as well as a former AWA World Heavyweight Champion. Bockwinkel was also a part of a legendary tag team with Ray Stevens. In 2003, Bockwinkel was also inducted into the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame.

Little is known about the circumstances surrounding the death at this time. Wrestling Inc will keep you updated on any additional information that surfaces. We express our condolences to Nick's family.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Weird. My brother and I were talking about him right around that time last night (came up because the Observer had mentioned he had health issues.

RIP

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
RIP Mr. Bockwinkel.

Never saw him wrestle but knew the name. Not to sound too cold, another legend has left us, but at least this one got to an older age.

I'm guessing we'll see some sort of acknowledgment on RAW, maybe not a ten-bell salute but at least a mention of his passing.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Bockwinkel was a huge name here in Minnesota in the old AWA. Very saddening to see that he's passed.

Condolences to the family and congratulations on a great life, Mr. Bockwinkel.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
This is sad news. When I first started watching wrestling as a kid, it was the AWA with Bockwinkel as their champion. So to me, he was always the definition of a world champion. The way he carried the belt, the way he talked and conducted himself. Everything he said and did seemed important. Only Flair played the heel champion role better.

I honestly think Chris Jericho's heel run from around 2009-2011 had to be inspired by Bockwinkel. The way he dressed and spoke in interviews, as well as his whole demeanor was very similar to Nick's.

The decision to pair Nick with Bobby Heenan was brilliant. Totally different personalities, but they meshed together perfectly. I can't think of a better wrestler/manager combo.

Nick almost certainly would've been considered a possible NWA Champion in the 70s, and would've made a great one, but stayed in the AWA as the lighter travel schedule allowed him to spend more time with his family.

I'm happy he lived a long life. Thanks for the memories.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Growing up in Winnipeg, we were in the AWA territory.

Absolutely loved Nick Bockwinkle.

Anyone who grew up watching AWA Wrestling knows how awesome he was.

RIP Nick.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
On another site I belong to somebody posted some classic Bockwinkel videos - so here you go:

And here's one where he is a contestant on The Hollywood Squares:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I honestly think Chris Jericho's heel run from around 2009-2011 had to be inspired by Bockwinkel. The way he dressed and spoke in interviews, as well as his whole demeanor was very similar to Nick's.

Yup. Jericho mentioned on one of his podcasts how he loved Bockwinkel's used of words and added it to that character.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Two of the best talkers ever go toe to toe. And you'll see where Jericho got "pusillanimous cretins" from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad