RIP Matti Nykänen

Akustiikka

Dec 16, 2018
4 olympic gold medals, 5 world championships, 1 ski flying championship, 19 medals overall. 4 world cup trophies. Arguably the best ski jumper of all time, and the most dominant in his prime. RIP Matti Nykänen, Diego Maradona of ski jumping. :(

Matti Nykänen - Wikipedia

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Greatest Finnish ski jumper ever has gone to heaven and today we knowledge terrible loss.
Thanks for all golden moments and memories what you brought to all ski jump fans around the world.

You will be missed.
RIP Matti Ensio Nykänen.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Always had a troubles life outside the "hill", with alcoholism issues and various medias exploiting him. :(

Apparently he had a restraining order imposed on himself because he beat his wife. Then he was handed a suspended sentence for assaulting his wife again. Then he stabbed someone at a pizzeria. Then he beat his wife again, allegedly injuring her with a knife. Then he was arrested on suspicion of attempted manslaughter of someone else, was found guilty of aggravated assault, and sentenced to 26 months in prison.

The guy was a grown ass man but still had to drink like a dumb teenager even though he knew he couldn't handle it. But, of course, it's always someone else's fault. It's the fault of the media because they "exploit" the guy. Please. :laugh:

I would have some sympathy for Matti if he had an actual intellectual disability and didn't understand the context of what happened around him, or the bigger picture, but from what I understand that wasn't really the case.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Apparently he had a restraining order imposed on himself because he beat his wife. Then he was handed a suspended sentence for assaulting his wife again. Then he stabbed someone at a pizzeria. Then he beat his wife again, allegedly injuring her with a knife. Then he was arrested on suspicion of attempted manslaughter of someone else, was found guilty of aggravated assault, and sentenced to 26 months in prison.

The guy was a grown ass man but still had to drink like a dumb teenager even though he knew he couldn't handle it. But, of course, it's always someone else's fault. It's the fault of the media because they "exploit" the guy. Please. :laugh:

I would have some sympathy for Matti if he had an actual intellectual disability and didn't understand the context of what happened around him, or the bigger picture, but from what I understand that wasn't really the case.

The marriage with Mervi Tapola was all sorts of cluster f***, she didn't seem to avoid alcohol herself much. And if you gave Matti alcohol, he became a different person. (pretty much everyone who either lived, worked, trained or competed with him has said that).

You'de either not Finnish or too younf to remebr the 80's. Media most definitely overcovered everything he did. He learned a little from the past when he signed an exclusive deal with Seiska and his friend Kai Merilä. They made money from stories of him and he was paid for them. His appearances in recent tv shows (the sleepover with Maria Veitola and Superstars show hosted by Teemu Selänne) showed what an effect the media and some so called "friends" have left on him. It took a while and reassurances from the crew in the former before he opened up.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
You'de either not Finnish or too younf to remebr the 80's. Media most definitely overcovered everything he did.

Are you typing this on a phone, Jussi? No, I'm not Finnish and born in the early 80s, but you have a responsibility yourself to not feed the media if you know they just want to sell cheap stories about your crazy life. Unless you actually like that myth about yourself as a loose cannon.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
And, Tapola was his 4th wife. He had three failed marriages before said clusterf***. It's almost like I see a pattern.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Are you typing this on a phone, Jussi? No, I'm not Finnish and born in the early 80s, but you have a responsibility yourself to not feed the media if you know they just want to sell cheap stories about your crazy life. Unless you actually like that myth about yourself as a loose cannon.

They you have no idea how crazy it was with him. Any Finn old enough can confirm that.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki

Are you Pihla Viitala or a fan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad