RIP King Kong Bundy - 61

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's hard to believe that he was only 61. He looked a solid 40+ when he was facing Hogan in his 20s. I wasn't a fan, but I did enjoy the five count gimmick.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Enzo the idiot doesn't deserve the attention.

One night in 1985 or so I was flipping thru the AM dial as I was prone to do as a young kid and find a hockey game or baseball game or whatever. I came across a 50,000 watt station in Cincinnati. They were broadcasting a house show from Riverfront Coliseum. This was probably the card. I think Mene Gene was the announcer. I have NEVER heard anything done like this before or since. It was like a random weeknight. Anyway, that was the first time I ever heard of King Kong Bundy. I had never seen him. He was fighting Swede Hanson. And destroying him. Maybe it was a tribute to Mene Gene, and his storytelling, but he made it sound like Swede Hanson was being killed in the ring by a giant frightening man. From that moment on, I was legit frightened of King Kong Bundy. Later that year, he was going after Hogan, who was my idol at the time. It was all to build to Wrestlemania 2, (which I went to see on closed circuit TV at the Providence Civic Center). I remember when on Saturday Night's Main Event, Bundy splashed Hogan a zillion times causing "severe internal injury" according to Gorilla Monsoon. Man, I was sooooo invested in that storyline. I truly didn't know if Hulk Hogan could actually win the steel cage match at Wrestlemania. I didn't know if he could beat this scary man that haunted my nightmares. But somehow, he did. I remember Bobby Heenan claiming Bundy couldn't fit out the door and that's why he lost. Shut up, Bobby.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Bundy's return in the mid 90's was sort of out of nowhere. I was trying to distance myself from wrestling being in college and it not being cool, and then seeing him back was sort of weird and random.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
RIP, KKB.

He was hilarious on Married With Children and as good/imposing as ever in his 90s return. He should have had a bigger push.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Bundy's return in the mid 90's was sort of out of nowhere. I was trying to distance myself from wrestling being in college and it not being cool, and then seeing him back was sort of weird and random.

posted this on another board, but there's a match of him vs Jeff Hardy with Gorilla and Million Dollar Man doing commentary on youtube. I always thought that was a weird overlap of eras.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad