RIP Joe Morgan

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
He had a great deal of haters but he was that voice of Sunday night baseball when there were not many options to watch a baseball game in Canada. MLB package and expanded sports offerings would not reach us until the mid to late 90's. RIP Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cold Cat

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The best player on the Big Red Machine. The best 2B in the last 60 years. I have him ranked in this range: Pujols, Morgan, Spahn. A great player.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
As I mentioned in the Eddie Van Halen thread, this is another reality check that leads to a juncture of life to realize that all youth is passing and adulthood is borrowed time. To see a legend such as Joe Morgan hindered through poor health the past few years must have been horrifying for those that knew him. Many recollections since his passing from a variety of sources and not only his abilities on the field but how he had self-discipline, respect and yet charisma on a team known for its personalities.

The Big Red Machine of that era has had various accolades and sobriquets including the best post WW2 team in baseball and the best all-time team in the history of the NL. I generally shun comparing players and teams of various eras but this was such a distinctive collection of talent that was built through the farm system and trades before free agency became a common practice and acceptance.

The ninth inning series-clinching hit in Game 7 of the 1975 World Series was undoubtedly his biggest hit. Morgan had all the tools. Pete Rose mentioned how everyone knew when Morgan would steal a base, the pitcher, the catcher, the opposing manager, etc. and he still couldn't get caught. Another quote from Rose was how Morgan became a superstar on a team made better by him but also how his teammates elevated his game as true teams operate. He also cited Morgan's baseball aptitude and called him a "classy man." Johnny Bench described Morgan as his (Bench's) most skilled teammate.

The intimidation factor was something stellar. A little man with a small glove who could field with the best. And hit like a home run champ! He now joins Sparky Anderson, Pedro Borbon and others among the deceased personnel from that team. Eventually others will succumb to the great equalizer that is age.

All generations have nostalgic memories of their first experiences with sport. But though the memories may languish, they will never be forgotten. Players such as Morgan, teams like the Reds and musicians with skills of Van Halen are applauded for their talents and how they were a part of at least this person's early years. Great moments.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
RIP Joe Morgan. He was one of the main baseball media personalities back when I still played and was hopeful for my baseball future. Part of that just died again yesterday. :(

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
My dad played a couple of years in the Reds system years ago, met Joe once when I was a kid. Genuinely awesome guy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How many baseball legends died this year? Insane. And I don’t think any of them died of COVID.

RIP.

Seaver definitely was from COVID.

Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the others were, too, in addition to pre-existing conditions.

Feels like half the living BHOF has died in the last 6 months.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Because it was exactly 45 years to the day and among the biggest hits in the history of the game being a 9th inning Game 7 winning single, Joe Morgan:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad