Patriots/NFL RIP Gil Santos

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Enjoyed many breakfasts with the man at a diner now called 'The Breakfast Club' in Allston on Western Ave.

His only regret was that he never had the chance to call a Red Sox game as WBZ never had any interest in the Sox.

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Gil Santos, Legendary Voice Of The New England Patriots, Dies At 80

During his career, he missed just one game — a preseason contest against the Jets in 1971, which Santos missed in order to attend the funeral services for his father. In all, he called 745 Patriots games on the radio, including three Super Bowl victories.

Along with Gino Cappelletti, Santos was part of the longest-tenured broadcasting duo in modern NFL history, with the two working in tandem for 28 seasons.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
In the distant days before all this technology we enjoy today, I listened to the Bruins on WBZ - after the games I left the AM radio on 1030 AM for the news, weather, and talk. I remember his voice....Blessings to him.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
It might be the greatest call in the history of Boston sports when the Pats one their first Super Bowl. I listened to it all these years later and still get chills and tear up. But today I tear up because Gil is gone. He is a legend and someone many of these play by play announcers today could learn from. Rest In Peace Gil. And thank you.

PaulaMesser

Apr 18, 2018
R.I.P Golden Pipes...
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/smule.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/imgur.png

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
On Sundays when I was a young teenager, my routine never varied in the fall. Sunday Mass then home to a huge breakfast of pancakes and bacon. I'd sit at the kitchen table and STUDY the Boston Sunday Globe sports section - especially everything written about the upcoming football game that afternoon. After breakfast, I'd trudge upstairs to start my homework. But before I got my books and papers out, I made sure I tuned my radio to any and all Patriots pregame info I could find. The Patriots weren't as good then, so I watched eight games (away) on TV, and listened the eight home games on WBZ called by Gil Santos. Although the glory years were still down the road, he made the Patriots come alive for me, and I NEVER missed a game. Gil Santos was my information pipeline when Foxborough was blacked out.

I can still hear him calling the game as I struggled with my algebra and the smell of mom's pot roast wafted up from the kitchen. His was a friendly voice from the gridiron at a time when Patriots management was incompetent and negligent, and when my brother and I were the only Patriots fans in school.

I am very thankful that Gil got to call the very best games the Patriots ever had. He narrated the moments that will live forever.

Thank you for keeping the fire burning during the lean years, Gil... and thank you for making the glory years sound so amazing. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Year after year, Gil Santos delivered

“I ran into Gil Santos at some event during that season,” Arnold said. “Now you have to understand that I was taking over for two legends — Gil and Curt Gowdy. No pressure there, right? So I’m talking to Gil, and he said something to me that stays with me to this day.”

And Santos said: “Dale, whether the team goes 0-16 or 16-0 they pay you just the same. But whatever happens, you owe the same effort.”

There’s greatness in every syllable of that quote. For one thing, the line about how they pay you the same, 16-0 or 0-16, reveals Santos to be treating Arnold as a peer, an equal, and not some broadcasting novice who for no other reason than because of a change in radio rights fees had taken his job. This is not unlike what you’d expect from a veteran big league slugger standing around at the batting cage, talking with a young up-and-comer. It was classic Santos, sharing with Arnold the realities of the business.
And he was right: A paycheck is a paycheck is a paycheck.
And then there’s the second part of that quote.

You owe the same effort.

Is that Gil Santos or what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad