News Article: RIP Dave Dryden

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I always thought this was a cool photo of the brothers. I’m sure their parents displayed this photo on the family mantle with a lot of pride.
PS - I lifted the photo from TSNs website. Thanks TSN.

1665180915634.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Few of us were talking about this but it deserves its own thread. Rip Dave Dryden. The First Oilers goalie that was here for a longtime. Played 5 full seasons for the Oil and was mostly solid. The Oilers weren't a good team for half his time here. Saw him many times in person at Coliseum. He was a workhorse too. The team played him a lot of games some of the seasons.

Was always odd to be a fan of the Habs and the Oilers and Ken Dryden was my hero at the time so having older brother Dave here was nice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If Dave Dryden was 81 then I must be getting old. He was one of the first Oilers goalies I can remember watching play when I was a kid. RIP
This was my exact thought this am. But then I noticed Dryden was relatively old while playing here and his last season with us he was 39.

Jacques Plante though made it seem like Dryden was young. Everybody around hockey was young compared to Plante.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Few of us were talking about this but it deserves its own thread. Rip Dave Dryden. The First Oilers goalie that was here for a longtime. Played 5 full seasons for the Oil and was mostly solid. The Oilers weren't a good team for half his time here. Saw him many times in person at Coliseum. He was a workhorse too. The team played him a lot of games some of the seasons.

Was always odd to be a fan of the Habs and the Oilers and Ken Dryden was my hero at the time so having older brother Dave here was nice.
I looked at it the same way. Until the Oilers entered the NHL, I was a Habs fan (makes me proud knowing I’ve always hated the Leafs). Ken Dryden was my hero too. I figured his brother must be good too so it was easy to cheer for him, lol. I had forgotten he was still here for the Oilers first NHL season. I thought they had moved on to Eddie Mio and somebody else.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If Dave Dryden was 81 then I must be getting old. He was one of the first Oilers goalies I can remember watching play when I was a kid. RIP
join the club. One of the first players I ever met. Back in the day several of the WHA oilers did rounds in elementary schools to get them more interested in hockey. Going back 40+ years--but as I recall they always pushed a certain local sports dealership telling us they always had the best equipment for all sports

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
join the club. One of the first players I ever met. Back in the day several of the WHA oilers did rounds in elementary schools to get them more interested in hockey. Going back 40+ years--but as I recall they always pushed a certain local sports dealership telling us they always had the best equipment for all sports
I don’t recall ever meeting any Oilers in my elementary schools. Lots of Eskimos though. I even remember having Neil Lumsden as a substitute teacher for a while. Only time I met any of those WHA Oilers was when our class went on a field trip to skate at the old Sportex. A bunch of Oilers were finishing practice and signed some autographs for us. That was so long ago though that the only one I can remember was cowboy Bill Flett.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I looked at it the same way. Until the Oilers entered the NHL, I was a Habs fan (makes me proud knowing I’ve always hated the Leafs). Ken Dryden was my hero too. I figured his brother must be good too so it was easy to cheer for him, lol. I had forgotten he was still here for the Oilers first NHL season. I thought they had moved on to Eddie Mio and somebody else.
Yeah I always disliked the Leafs. We were ahead of our time. Most of the country did and the knob polishing of the Leafs was a thing when only two Channels were on Black and White TV. Seemed like most of the country were behind the Habs. They were the peoples team. The Leafs were always the team the press and media tried to get us to like.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don’t recall ever meeting any Oilers in my elementary schools. Lots of Eskimos though. I even remember having Neil Lumsden as a substitute teacher for a while. Only time I met any of those WHA Oilers was when our class went on a field trip to skate at the old Sportex. A bunch of Oilers were finishing practice and signed some autographs for us. That was so long ago though that the only one I can remember was cowboy Bill Flett.
It was at Inglewood my first year in Edmonton. I think there were just 2 oilers Dryden and someone else that came. The equipment shop they talked about was the one down by 118 Ave and 124th street. They talked more about that then about anything else. Our teacher, Mrs Graham was not impressed.

We never had Eskimos to my school. I kept hearing about it. I know they went to high schools like Shep and JP.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad