Colby Cave | In Memoriam

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
My heart sank when I turned on the board this AM and saw this thread.

RIP Colby. You were that perfect resilient character that never allowed there to be a no when it comes to pro hockey. Maybe a lot of people told you the dream of NHL was done, but it never was, and you kept coming up for looks because your play was honest, nobody ever questioned your unshakable heart and your try. You were probably a model to everybody you played with on how far your dreams and dedication can take you.

To those that knew you, Its not the right time, because grief will be too strong to hear this, but I'd like to say people that we meet that are like this, they don't die. They remain in our minds, in our hearts and I wish that for all of Colby's friends and family that they have that recognition that he gave it his all here on Earth and its all any of us can, and any of us can ask for.

Colby Cave lived a dream. The one blessing is that he got there. He got to the summit, Played a fair number of games, scored some goals. He arrived farther than probably many thought he could go. He becomes that person that generations talk about in a family. The Uncle, the Brother, the cousin, the Grandfather, that made it to the NHL. Was an NHL player. The thing I wish is that there had been a playoffs this spring, and that you had been inserted into some games, that you had that too. That would have been the top pinnacle that everybody plays for.

When a mountaineer dies, people don't mourn in the same way. They recognize the person scaled peaks, they know the person had those transcendent moments when they conquered fear, doubt, anxiety, the normal things that tie humanity down. Mountaineers soaring to heights are symbolic of human quest. Descriptions of summiting Everest and what it emboldens means nothing to those that don't have the passion. People live and die to scale the peaks and because the reward to them is so great, what it means to them so monumental. Its immortal accomplishment. Colby Cave had an incredible path and life for a player with ordinary skills. That accomplishment lives forever in our memories. If the Oilers win a Stanley Cup, and I expect they could, Colby Cave and what he modeled will be remembered. His name will not die with his team mates. and there probably will be a dedication.

For sure when hockey is back there will be a Colby Cave commemoration. That is certain.

oilers-cave-hockey.jpg

Last edited:

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
2005 was a bad year for me almost died from a massive brain injury and I know how the feeling of helplessness feels like .3 surgeries later and I was one of the lucky ones to be able to walk away .So this really hits home cause this can happen to me if I get hit hard enough . May the Lord take care of you and your family Coby, God bless

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canucks fan in peace.

I wasn't a fan of his or the team he played for but it sucks whenever anybody passes at his age. He was 25, played in the NHL and had his entire life ahead of him. I hope those whose lives he touched can move on with good memories of him and everything he accomplished.

I wish all those in Oil country the best not only in processing this but in dealing with the current Covid-19 situation and the hardships it has caused.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
What a shame, condolences to his family and friends. Seemed like a really good person.

On a positive note I'd like to think he's potting goals by the handful now in the big hockey rink in the sky.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I can’t imagine how his wife and family are doing right now. Praying that God provides comfort during this incredibly difficult time. I’ll always remember his amazing McDavid like goal.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
This was an awful thing to read this morning. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP Cave. When hockey is back, no doubt the Oilers will commemorate his life. It's easy to forget underneath the helmets are real people.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
What a crappy year 2020 is turning out to be. My stomach dropped on seeing the headline this morning. Such a terrible tragedy and a huge blow to his family made worse by this uncertain time. I hope that when hockey does return there will be a tribute of some sort and a patch on the Oilers Jerseys to commemorate a life cut unfairly short. RIP Colby. See you soon at the big rink in the sky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->