Tribute RIP Chris Simon

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I was a young pup but he was one of the guys I knew, and my dad had at least one jersey so I knew he was a big one. I don't have many personal memories of the guy that aren't from EA NHL games but he's got legend clout even in a generation he didn't fully touch, which is something to be said for a guy who isn't hitting a lot of records.

Played in a tough time and was tough among them, sorry to see if it really did contribute but beyond that, thank you.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Simon was that big left wing the team desperately tried to address in the draft and failied seemingly for decades. Corriveau Greenlaw Maltais Halverson - I am sure there were more. He was a bad ass feared fighter that could score but was injury prone. I see news stories going across the headlines saying he was an enforcer a 4th line goon - he was much more a top 6 but did rack up 200 PIMs 2 times long after he left here. I think he was feared so much that he didnt have to fight much. He was more straight up scary - an intimidator or power forward lite. Look at his PIMs - that's not an enforcer in my book. He did get some lengthy suspensions... he was a warrior.
1710933168368.png

While his family is pointing at CTE I think its likely a combination of things (pure speculation) including life struggles or long term damage from alcohol or drugs. RIP to a great capital.

Not many could have Probert cowering...

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
One of the reasons I first became a Caps fan. He stuck around after one of the Caps practices at Piney before my travel team got on the ice and was talking to a bunch of us. We thought he was the coolest dude in the world just taking time to hang for a few minutes with a bunch of 12 year olds. Seemed like a really easy going, down to earth guy who was anything but on the ice. Very sad.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I remember Simon's famous long interview for a Russian newspaper during his Vityaz career when he said that his plan for his post-hockey life is helping Ojibwe children, as addictions and suicide are so prevalent among them.

So sad.

Also, in the same intreview he may be the very first high-profile hockey personality to hype up 'that kid who has talent you can't teach, like Forsberg' aka Panarin.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Damn. Too soon. Shoulder problems towards the tail end of his time here really derailed his game.

Hard to shoot the puck or throw a punch with bum shoulders. Some back then mocked his “butt checks”, since I suppose throwing a shoulder hit caused a bit of pain.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Of course Daniel “carbomb” Carcillo is making this about himself. Dude was a joke compared to Chris Simon.
I have a very strong distaste for Carcillo (and also a funny/sad story for some other time about when my buddy met him while delivering packages) - but unless there's multiple statements out there, I don't see what's so gross about Carcillo's or how he's making it about himself. He said the NHL doesn't care about concussions/CTE in retired players - which is exactly what Chris Simon had said (and sued the NHL over). Beyond that, he said that anyone struggling with mental health after retiring can reach out to him, which is a very positive message overall.

I think Carcillo's statement is fine.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I’m devastated. Just read that it was a suicide.

One of my all time favourite players.

To put that into perspective, not only is his name part of my moniker, but his was my very first jersey. Which as some of you know, is a big deal for me.

Shit. That’s all I can say.

Godspeed Big Man. You were well loved.

Same here bro. Indeed, it's still a shocker to me and he'll always be well loved. When the Caps traded for him, I was super excited to see one of my favorite all time NHLers become a Cap.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Same here bro. Indeed, it's still a shocker to me and he'll always be well loved. When the Caps traded for him, I was super excited to see one of my favorite all time NHLers become a Cap.
I know it can be controversial for some to get current jerseys with classic caps players but not to me so hope to see some Simon jerseys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad