OT: RIP Bob McGrath

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Sad news yesterday about the passing of Bob McGrath at age 90. The world became a little less of a nice place to live.

An American by birth but he was a good friend to Canada, particularly Saskatchewan. He gave his time each year for 38 years to help out on Saskatchewan's Telemiracle telethon.
At 58 years of age, Street started when I was 4 or 5 and of course being a son of Saskatchewan, “rings those phones” is imprinted on me indelibly. I still watch and support regardless of where I now live. I was saddened when I heard the news of his passing on Sunday night, but I smile because personally, he provided me and so many others with so much great entertainment and for so many years. God speed, Bob. 🥲

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
A big loss for humanity with a kind heart, heaping empathy and indelible teaching ability as a North Star for generations of children through Sesame Street.

Like my fellow Sasky above, Mr. McGrath's annual participation in Saskatchewan's Telemiracle will live forever in my mind for the good he did for our province whether on Sesame Street or compelling donations on-air live in Saskatchewan. "Ring Those Phone!"

Easy to become cynical and jaded in life. Some special people retain their childlike wonder and help the rest of us to see, imagine and aspire to create a better world for all. RIP Bob McGrath.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At 58 years of age, Street started when I was 4 or 5 and of course being a son of Saskatchewan, “rings those phones” is imprinted on me indelibly. I still watch and support regardless of where I now live. I was saddened when I heard the news of his passing on Sunday night, but I smile because personally, he provided me and so many others with so much great entertainment and for so many years. God speed, Bob. 🥲
Its interesting how even so few years in age difference leads to entirely different frames of reference. I was never a preschooler while Sesame Street was on and thus was never in the demographic. I would watch the odd bit but not much. I'm only 3yrs older but stuff like Gilligans Island and discovering the fair sex was the recommended viewing once you were in school. lol.

I honestly didn't know who Bob Magrath was. We didn't get him here for Telethons in Alberta. we would see Rolf Harris a lot. Also Shari Lewis with Lambchop. but never saw Bob Magrath here in Edmonton.

RIP but I didn't know the man at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad