Rinks in the UK?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
More specifically would be Buckinghamshire area...

Going to be there for more than a few months, just wondering if it'd be worthwhile for me to bring stick/skates for stick and puck times if that exists over there? Noticed they have some leagues, but I'm just a beer league player myself only back into it the last year or two... but wouldn't mind having something to do to keep active if I can.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Yup Planet Ice in Milton Keynes would most likely be your closest, you also have a new Rink in Chelmsford but it would more likely be a bit more of a journey.
Unfortunately Stick and Puck sessions are completely non-existant in the UK, I assume its just because the sport isn't big enough over here to dedicate the time to hockey rather than pleasure skaters/figure skaters.
Your best bet is to message a team like MK Rumble or MK Hurricanes
(You can find their details here: http://www.eiharec.co.uk/index2.html) and they may well allow you to skate with them at their practices. If you are over here for a while then it will probably be worth registering with the EIHA (You'd do this through a rec team) and then lots of teams will allow you to practice with them.
I am Peterborough way but have played against MK Rumble a couple of times and they seem like a great bunch of guys. Certainly worth a look!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yup Planet Ice in Milton Keynes would most likely be your closest, you also have a new Rink in Chelmsford but it would more likely be a bit more of a journey.
Unfortunately Stick and Puck sessions are completely non-existant in the UK, I assume its just because the sport isn't big enough over here to dedicate the time to hockey rather than pleasure skaters/figure skaters.
Your best bet is to message a team like MK Rumble or MK Hurricanes
(You can find their details here: http://www.eiharec.co.uk/index2.html) and they may well allow you to skate with them at their practices. If you are over here for a while then it will probably be worth registering with the EIHA (You'd do this through a rec team) and then lots of teams will allow you to practice with them.
I am Peterborough way but have played against MK Rumble a couple of times and they seem like a great bunch of guys. Certainly worth a look!

Thanks for the info!
I'm still on the fence about bringing any equipment over since the timetable changes by the day, leaning towards leaving it at home for simplicity sake.

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Thanks for the info!
I'm still on the fence about bringing any equipment over since the timetable changes by the day, leaning towards leaving it at home for simplicity sake.

If it doesn't cost a huge amount I'd say bring it over, although there is no league set up for the rec teams there are regular games and actually are quite a lot of teams around!
By large most of the guys round here (I am only about 30miles north of MK) are pretty good and helpful and if you were to register with the EIHA (Costs about £40 I believe) You should be able to find ice time fairly easily.
Due to there being no league set up its all pretty relaxed so you won't be required to make every single practice and every game, the team I used to play with regularly had guys who only made one session every month! Personally I'd say go for it but in the end its down to you!

AndreD

Oct 24, 2010
London, UK
Depending on where you are in buckinghamshire the rink in Oxford might not be too far away. There are a lot of teams based here and I believe its the only rink in the country which has something resembling pick up / stick and puck.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'll be nearish Aylesbury.

Skates should be easy enough to pack, could probably squeeze in helmet and gloves - though I might need to find somewhere to get a stick over there and hope I don't take a shot off the shins :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad