Toronto
Rinat Valiyev

35cmnmv.png

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
According to Bob Mckenzie...

The second-round pick is a solid rental return but the key piece may be 22-year-old Rinat Valiev, who is knocking on the door to be an NHL regular on defence. A likely third-pairing, reliable two-way defenceman, Valiev was jammed up in TOR with Dermott, Carrick, Borgman, Polak...

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He should play with Juulsen next year and mete should spend some time in Laval

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I've read better reports on Valiev than Rychel. He's a big body that can skate. Not a fast skater, but is mobile. He isn't afraid to jump into the play.

The only extended video of highlights of his I could find was from the 2016 rookie tournament. He's had some injury issues, though he has NHL potential nonetheless. They say that Leafs' depth had others surpass him in the pecking order, and that he'd be in the NHL had he not fallen down in the "pecking order."

And here is a goal he scored earlier this month against Laval in a game Toronto destroyed the Rocket 7-1.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He looks like he's got good puck skills. I look forward to seeing what he can do.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
According to Bob Mckenzie...

The second-round pick is a solid rental return but the key piece may be 22-year-old Rinat Valiev, who is knocking on the door to be an NHL regular on defence. A likely third-pairing, reliable two-way defenceman, Valiev was jammed up in TOR with Dermott, Carrick, Borgman, Polak...

Nice report! More positive from what I've got from Leafs fan. We'll see

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop

Some fans will always s**t on a prospect when they are traded.

Alot of leafs were excited about him a few years ago. He had a great draft+1 season in WHL but has felt with a few injuries since the. He got passed by Dermott and Borgman. The leafs have 2 LD in the AHL ahead of him and 3 in the NHL. With a couple LD prospects graduating from Junior next season made him expendable

Not saying he's great but he does have some value. He skate ok, can hit and move the puck. He also has some toughness and drops the gloves from time to time. He's also really good character kid

Last edited:
Reactions: bleuetbio

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Valiev was a big favorite of mine in the dub back in his draft year, he's got good tools. Think of him as a LH version of Juulsen and you won't be too far off . He plays with a bit of a physical edge too, which we don't have that much of in our prospect pool at the moment. He does a bit of everything.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Leaf fans on these boards are shitting on him because they don't want to feel bad about trading him. The Leaf fans I know think he's a quality prospect who could develop into a solid top 4.

Reactions: bleuetbio

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
From all the Leaf fan reports, it sounds like there may be something about his game that's holding him back.

Then again, many cite injuries as a reason his development was stunted. Juulsen's had inuries, but he looks really good now.

Morrow is more skilled than Juulsen, but doesn't know how to read the play and break up plays defensively. It sounds like Valiev has the skating and puck skills, so I'll be curious to see how he reads the play and if he can break up plays defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad