Prospect Info: Riley Stillman (2016, #114 overall), Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL), signed ELC on 3/4/18

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
T
kinda depressing how hepos stats went off a cliff though. loved stat watching him last year. was hoping he'd have ~55 pts in these playoffs. oh well.
The guy just ran out of gas. 5'11"/148 lbs? Teams learn to bang the body and the head will fall just like in boxing. It's just mentally tiring to keep up the pace he did for a string bean like him. Wasn't he out 3 games at the beginning of Feb for something? Everyone said it was minor but you don't sit 3 games for something minor. Who knows if he played injured down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Sean Monahan played his last game in the middle of March after playing hurt for 35 games. His final 12 games he had 2 goals and 4 assists. He has had 4 surgeries total. Both hips, sports hernia, and his wrist had to be reconstructed since they shut him down. The coach was fired and his RW Ferland's production also declined dramatically the final 2 months of the year. Gaudreau being the superstar he is and a guy that can create for himself continued to shine. Unfortunately for Calgary there will be major changes as the rest of the team couldn't step up to make it to the playoffs. With so many surgeries, you have to wonder if this guy will be able to return by January. That's why it's stoopid to play injured.

People don't remember it but Hawryluk was concussion prone prior to starting his WHL career. Always a reckless banger, he found out the hard way that there's payback. I think he put one guy out for 7 games with a head shot and was suspended for 2 games. It came back to haunt him as he received numerous concussions the rest of his WHL career and then also in the AHL. Tallon still drafted him cuz he liked what he saw at the combine. After a couple of games in the AHL he was brutally checked to the head and went down for a few months. He looked like he started to get back to form and then boom he gets concussed again. I think he finished the year in the ECHL. Tallon has a thing about picking up guys with injury histories. Guys like him never know when to quit until it's too late. :(

ps: Probably should move this over to the catch-all - Springfield AHL, CHL thread. I kind of hi-jacked poor Stillman :)

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
how do you like him in his first longer nhl stint?

Been better this time around. Not a tall guy but solid and sturdy. Doesnt shy away from hitting or blocking shots. Think he blocked a team high 5 shots against OTT while getting his first NHL assist in the game, although we aren't really looking for a ton of offense from him.

Just needs to continue to play with an edge and he has a chance to stick around for the rest of the year if he keeps it simple and plays good defense.
For a 4th round pick, he's climbed the ranks pretty quickly. He brings a much needed physical element to our defense, looking forward to his progression the rest of the year.

Should continue to work on skating and puck handling but with his style of play, he could become a 2nd pairing guy down the road.

Reactions: harv33173

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
OLIVE: When you watch film, are you only watching clips of yourself or do you also look at some of the top defenders around the NHL and try to pick some things up from them?

STILLMAN:
It's a bit of everything. I like to watch Duncan Keith. I think he's a special player with the way he plays. I've actually been watching some old film on Scott Stevens. That's kind of the style that I want to play. And obviously with him being a Hall of Famer, that's a good guy to watch.

Gonna be a Wildman out there going forward, loves to crash and bang.
Hoping Keeper can crack the big lineup as well. Those two would hit everything in sight.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
OLIVE: When you watch film, are you only watching clips of yourself or do you also look at some of the top defenders around the NHL and try to pick some things up from them?

STILLMAN:
It's a bit of everything. I like to watch Duncan Keith. I think he's a special player with the way he plays. I've actually been watching some old film on Scott Stevens. That's kind of the style that I want to play. And obviously with him being a Hall of Famer, that's a good guy to watch.

Gonna be a Wildman out there going forward, loves to crash and bang.
Hoping Keeper can crack the big lineup as well. Those two would hit everything in sight.
Excuse me, watching some old film of WHO?

Kid's been my fav defenseman on the team since he was called up. No f***ing wonder.

And #FREEKEEPER

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Excuse me, watching some old film of WHO?

Kid's been my fav defenseman on the team since he was called up. No f***ing wonder.

And #FREEKEEPER

If Keeper and Ludvig can become NHL regulars, the defense should be fairly physical with Weegar and Stillman as well but ya reading that Stiller is watching old Stevens vids is great to hear. He's got a bit of the controlled nutcase vibe from his dad

Gildon and Koly aren't soft as well but those 4 mentioned above bring the pain. :D

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
If Keeper and Ludvig can become NHL regulars, the defense should be fairly physical with Weegar and Stillman as well but ya reading that Stiller is watching old Stevens vids is great to hear. He's got a bit of the controlled nutcase vibe from his dad

Gildon and Koly aren't soft as well but those 4 mentioned above bring the pain. :D

With all these D knocking on the door (add Priskie to that list) within the next few years, it's going to be even more annoying to watch Yandle and Matheson blocking them from being in the lineup. I don't see how we enter next season with both on the roster.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
With all these D knocking on the door (add Priskie to that list) within the next few years, it's going to be even more annoying to watch Yandle and Matheson blocking them from being in the lineup. I don't see how we enter next season with both on the roster.

A big worry of mine is not being able to move Yandle whether this off-season or end of next year before expansion draft. Having to protect him and possibly losing one of Weegar (as long as he has no other head injuries) or Stillman (as long as he keeps improving) would be a kick in the nuts.

I still have a bit of hope for Matheson but at least you can expose him as his NTC kicks in after the draft. All mental with him, confidence and consistency.

If we do go 7-3-1, I'd assume you protect Ekblad, Weegar and Stillman as well?
Trade Yandle whenever you can
Expose Matheson and Stralman

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Don't forget about a guy like Ek. He is the anchor for this team on the blue line. Getting better and better as the years go on.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->