Prospect Info: Riley Stillman (2016, #114 overall), Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL), signed ELC on 3/4/18

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He said that it feels pretty special to get drafted to a team where his dad played.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I think this may be my favorite pick of day two, after Mascherin.

While having a grandfather and father play in professional leagues doesn't mean he will too, it at least (hopefully)gave him valuable tips on how he must train, early on, to make it.

Think he has a decent shot at being a defensemen for the Panthers.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
From a family member:

Yea Riley I know quite well, just from school, he's not the best athlete I've ever seen but the kids got motivation. He was playing for Oshawa this year, the team only worked out once a week together but he would go every day. He's definitely got some potential he's still quite young, and agile it was his official rookie year this year in the OHL. He was promoted to assistant captain; pretty nice guy off ice, and it's always fun working out with him and playing floor hockey.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Can't tell you enough how much I like this player.

I had him ranked 24th among OHL players.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2016.html

I also had the opportunity to interview him this year. Great kid who was very honest and candid with me.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/03/riley-stillman-maturing-as-leader-of.html

Brock, I love that you have Stillman just outside the top group of OHL prospects. It makes me excited about this pick, as you definitely are one of the top authorities anywhere on the ohl. What do you think his eta is to the nhl? Thanks.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Brock, I love that you have Stillman just outside the top group of OHL prospects. It makes me excited about this pick, as you definitely are one of the top authorities anywhere on the ohl. What do you think his eta is to the nhl? Thanks.

Honestly, he's a project. Probably 4 years away.

As someone else said, this was his first full year in the OHL after a year of junior A. He improved A TON from the start of the year to the end (and was recognized as such in the coaches poll where he was named as one of the East's most improved). In talking with him this year, he admitted that he's not yet physically mature and that's the thing he felt he really needed to work on.

I feel like this is a kid who is highly motivated and who has a great head on his shoulders. As he gets stronger and more confident, he's going to be able to really utilize his high end hockey sense. He has some very interesting skills that borderline on elite. His shot is excellent. His body checking ability is elite. The skating is good, and could get even better.

I see a really raw player who has already shown great progression and will likely carry on that path.

After a couple years in the OHL and a couple in the AHL, he could be ready to be a solid second or third pairing NHL defender.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Honestly, he's a project. Probably 4 years away.

As someone else said, this was his first full year in the OHL after a year of junior A. He improved A TON from the start of the year to the end (and was recognized as such in the coaches poll where he was named as one of the East's most improved). In talking with him this year, he admitted that he's not yet physically mature and that's the thing he felt he really needed to work on.

I feel like this is a kid who is highly motivated and who has a great head on his shoulders. As he gets stronger and more confident, he's going to be able to really utilize his high end hockey sense. He has some very interesting skills that borderline on elite. His shot is excellent. His body checking ability is elite. The skating is good, and could get even better.

I see a really raw player who has already shown great progression and will likely carry on that path.

After a couple years in the OHL and a couple in the AHL, he could be ready to be a solid second or third pairing NHL defender.

Thanks, great to hear. That's probably ideal anyway, as we aren't in a rush to incorporate young dmen onto the club, with Matheson still green, then McCoshen, and maybe others. Petrovic and Pysyk also are rather inexperienced. 4-5 years away is probably for the best.

I love this kid, he seems like he just gets it, what he has to do to be an nhl player, even more so than Mascherin. Riley s dad was a long time nhler. I'm not surprised he has a great shot. I love that he's a Florida kid too, I'll be watching him next season even more than Borgstrom at Denver.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I jumped on his bandwagon when we drafted him. He inherited his fathers genes and it's usually the kiss of death for many children of stars. Not with Riley. The 3rd pair LHD is his to take from McCoshin and it will be no contest after a year in the AHL. At 6'2"/200 ++ with the compete, skill, physical tools + IQ he is a steal from the 4th round. He is doing a great job with Hamilton in the playoffs with 7 pts in 11 games.

Check out the video fight against Tye Felhaber. Not a fan of the headbutt but Riley shows his temper when pushed. Felhaber is no lightweight at 5'11"/190 and is fearless and Stillman and he fight to a draw before Stillman's size overpowers him to the ice.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Congrats to Riley and the Hamilton Bulldogs......OHL Champs after defeating #1 ranked Sault Ste. Marie 4 games to 2. Stillman had a game tying goal to start the 3rd period with a hard slap shot from the top of the circle over the shoulder of the G.

Will line up in Regina for Memorial Cup and hopefully will get into the championship game with the winner of the WHL series against fellow draftee Heponiemi or recently signed Bajkov. Regina is in as they host. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Congrats to Riley and the Hamilton Bulldogs......OHL Champs after defeating #1 ranked Sault Ste. Marie 4 games to 2. Stillman had a game tying goal to start the 3rd period with a hard slap shot from the top of the circle over the shoulder of the G.

Will line up in Regina for Memorial Cup and hopefully will get into the championship game with the winner of the WHL series against fellow draftee Heponiemi or recently signed Bajkov. Regina is in as they host. :)
cool how represented we r in the last few teams.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Should be a good Memorial Cup. Let's hope both Hamilton and Swift Current make it to the finals. :)
kinda depressing how hepos stats went off a cliff though. loved stat watching him last year. was hoping he'd have ~55 pts in these playoffs. oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->