Confirmed with Link: Riley Nash signs with Columbus

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I'd probably take Riley Nash over the $900K in savings, I'm not sure we could replace him with just $900K. Perhaps if a center on an ELC steps up and we're in a cap crunch.

The 900k is cost, the savings is 1.9M the first two years.

But yeah buyouts suck. That said I do feel like Robinson and co could replace Nash.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The 900k is cost, the savings is 1.9M the first two years.

But yeah buyouts suck. That said I do feel like Robinson and co could replace Nash.

We'd need a center, ideally with a strong defensive game (i.e. not get burned like Robinson did vs Tampa).

And $900k is the savings of the whole buyout divided over the next two years, which is the relevant figure when we're trying to decide if it pays to do the buyout. Dividing over four is misleading. The fact that the buyout cost is spread out over four years is not really much of a plus either: it's looking unlikely that the Jackets will be near the cap next year, while we don't know if we'll need that cap in years 3 and 4.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Called this to perfection. I don't wear hats but I'd take mine off to you if I did.
Wow. You did some digging! ....What I failed to realize was that he’d somehow underperform even MY low expectation. ......You must not have any hats left after having tossed all of them on the ice celebrating Riley Nash hat tricks. :laugh:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wow. You did some digging! ....What I failed to realize was that he’d somehow underperform even MY low expectation. ......You must not have any hats left after having tossed all of them on the ice celebrating Riley Nash hat tricks. :laugh:

There is a Gordie Howe hat trick, a natural hat trick and a Riley Nash hat trick. We all know what the first two are. The Riley Nash hat trick is one goal per year for each year of his contract.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Look, I'm not going to pretend he's playing well. But given his minutes and line mates, would anyone play well? The most disappointing thing is his lack of contribution on the PK and faceoff dot. That's astonishing, and something the Jackets were counting on.

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Look, I'm not going to pretend he's playing well. But given his minutes and line mates, would anyone play well? The most disappointing thing is his lack of contribution on the PK and faceoff dot. That's astonishing, and something the Jackets were counting on.

We don't have a shortage of PK guys, if we did he'd be there because he's not bad at all at that. The faceoff thing was never his strength, but it is disappointing that he's below that even.

There are some good things in his game. I'm just watching Billy's postgame video now and it's two plays in a row where Nash breaks up passes in front of the Jackets net and then calmly stickhandles to a space where he can start a clean breakout. That's a pivotal skill that you should never take for granted from your 4th line. The way people talk about him here though it's as if he can't do anything well, which is just not true. Typical hyperbole.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect more offence from someone playing with Hannikainen and Sedlak. A few more points, yes. Hannikainen has generated a decent amount of offence. The offence is definitely the most disappointing part of Nash's game, his defence is a strong suit.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Riley Nash has played much better lately, in my opinion. He just needs the puck to go in the net to shut the haters up. Here's the possession stats since Dec. 1st, that's our 4th line center leading the team next to Panarin. And surprise, surprise, that's Dubinsky that's dead last. That's hard to do considering Nash and Dubinsky have played together a lot in that span!

Take note of Nash's 1.2% on-ice shooting percentage. The Jackets have had like one goal per 83 shots in that period when Nash is on the ice. Normally you'd say that player is just getting very unlucky. Unless you believe that Nash is a shell of the player he was just one year ago.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Take note of Nash's 1.2% on-ice shooting percentage. The Jackets have had like one goal per 83 shots in that period when Nash is on the ice. Normally you'd say that player is just getting very unlucky. Unless you believe that Nash is a shell of the player he was just one year ago.

His stats from last year were inflated by his time playing with Pastrnak & Marchand while Bergeron was out.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Hmmmm.....Being saddled along-side Nash, Bjorkstrand is probably asking that question. :cool:

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

major major

Feb 18, 2013
His stats from last year were inflated by his time playing with Pastrnak & Marchand while Bergeron was out.

That's beside the point.

He has 4 points this year. In the previous 5 years he averaged about 1/3 of a point per game.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Riley Nash has played much better lately, in my opinion. He just needs the puck to go in the net to shut the haters up. Here's the possession stats since Dec. 1st, that's our 4th line center leading the team next to Panarin. And surprise, surprise, that's Dubinsky that's dead last. That's hard to do considering Nash and Dubinsky have played together a lot in that span!

Dude, what is your infatuation with Dubinsky? It seems like every other post of yours where you are attempting to defend somebody else to bring up Dubinsky's "stats".

Neither guy is used in favorable offensive situation and Dubinsky especially is deployed in MANY of the toughest defensive situations.

Both are dragging the team all the way down to a 3rd year in a row in the playoffs.

Get Wennberg and Hannikainen OFF THE ICE by time playoffs come and we'll be 'A-OK'.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Dude, what is your infatuation with Dubinsky? It seems like every other post of yours where you are attempting to defend somebody else to bring up Dubinsky's "stats".

Neither guy is used in favorable offensive situation and Dubinsky especially is deployed in MANY of the toughest defensive situations.

Both are dragging the team all the way down to a 3rd year in a row in the playoffs.

Get Wennberg and Hannikainen OFF THE ICE by time playoffs come and we'll be 'A-OK'.

Wait, so I'm not supposed to denigrate another player in the course of saying my preferred player is underrated? This is a bad thing now? C'mon Bus you don't even know your own game. :laugh:

At least I've got actual information to backup my claims. Dubinsky has a markedly lower scoring rate than every one of the players you mentioned and gets scored on a full goal more per 60 minutes than Nash and Hannikainen, who are also in defensive roles. Dubi just hasn't been good at keeping the other team from scoring. You can make excuses but you can't refute that, it's a fact.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wait, so I'm not supposed to denigrate another player in the course of saying my preferred player is underrated? This is a bad thing now? C'mon Bus you don't even know your own game. :laugh:

At least I've got actual information to backup my claims. Dubinsky has a markedly lower scoring rate than every one of the players you mentioned and gets scored on a full goal more per 60 minutes than Nash and Hannikainen, who are also in defensive roles. Dubi just hasn't been good at keeping the other team from scoring. You can make excuses but you can't refute that, it's a fact.

Ok, sure, you and your facts.

Dubinksy hasn't played bad AT ALL this year. Fact.

You say "defensive roles".

Dubinsky and and Hannikainen don't play the same "roles".

Dubinsky > Sedlak > Nash > Hannikainen

Offense and defense. I don't need any decimals to tell me otherwise.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No, no, no, you're supposed to cherrypick low-quality stats that appeal to emotion rather than logic, and react angrily to any other numbers offered. For example, you could point out that we have yet to lose a game since Dubi was put on IR, and then rant about haters and Untroo Fans if someone looks at the team's record overall in games Dubi hasn't played in. ;)

Reactions: major major

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I have a blue Svitov gamer too because I liked Svitov as well....ever since this beat down.

Svitov was a beast until he got a concussion or 2. I bought a pair of his game skates once...
I will always rank him among my favorite jackets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad