Confirmed with Link: Riley Nash signs with Columbus

Apr 9, 2009
USA
97.1 had Bob McElligot on earlier today and they were discussing that if Wennberg had another down season, that Nash could possibly supplant Wennberg in the top 6. My immediate thought was "yikes" and I can't imagine that this would be a realistic option. Is this just crazy talk? I watch a decent amount of CBJ hockey and it seems like crazy talk. But I've seen some negativity regarding Wennberg.

EDIT: Misread Wennberg's stats. He had a worse season that I realized.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
97.1 had Bob McElligot on earlier today and they were discussing that if Wennberg had another down season, that Nash could possibly supplant Wennberg in the top 6. My immediate thought was "yikes" and I can't imagine that this would be a realistic option. Is this just crazy talk? I watch a decent amount of CBJ hockey and it seems like crazy talk. But I've seen some negativity regarding Wennberg.

EDIT: Misread Wennberg's stats. He had a worse season that I realized.

It's realistic. Though I do expect Wennberg to be better, Riley Nash was excellent when he did get top minutes in Boston.

It would be more accurate to say, though, that Nash would get some more minutes at Wennberg's expense. McElligot, and Portzline too, and come to think of it half this board, waste a lot of time talking about "top 6" as if there's necessarily a big difference between what the 2C does and what the 3C does. Last year, Dubois, Foligno, and Wennberg all had roughly the same minutes at 5v5. About 13:45 per game.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Thanks for the info. When I made my post, I thought Wennberg had 59 points last season. Knowing where he ended up made that segment a little more understandable.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Nash is absolutely insurance on Wennberg, and likely will play top 6 at some point in the season unless Dubois and Wennberg both have dominant years. The lines will adapt as needed. It would ideal if it was a clear Dubois, Wenmberg, Dubinsky, Nash down the middle... But we went into the season pencilling it in as Wennberg, Dubinsky, Dubois, Sedlak, and for most of the season Dubois was the only one capable of creating anything at even strength.

I think with how Nash played when he moved up to the first line when Bergeron went down, we will see him in the top 6 very early unless a clear top 6 group emerges exactly as planned in camp.

Reactions: CBJFan827

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think with how Nash played when he moved up to the first line when Bergeron went down, we will see him in the top 6 very early unless a clear top 6 group emerges exactly as planned in camp.

I'd be more optimistic of this happening if we trade for Marchand & Pastrnak. :sarcasm:

Reactions: cslebn

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
that Nash could possibly supplant Wennberg in the top 6. My immediate thought was "yikes" and I can't imagine that this would be a realistic option.

It's the Malhotra paradox. Somehow Malhotra played effectively with the other Nash, while still being limited offensively.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Where does this rank on the worst signings by the Jackets? Holy shit is he bad.

I'll defend the front office for some things that others will not, but wow....this was awful.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Buyout this summer is like 900k for four years vs two more years off 2.8M

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd probably take Riley Nash over the $900K in savings, I'm not sure we could replace him with just $900K. Perhaps if a center on an ELC steps up and we're in a cap crunch.
Likewise, but I doubt I'd enjoy it all that much. He hasn't been a liability defensively, but we needed more and we're not getting it. :(

Reactions: hardkorejackets

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Gotta say Jarmo gambled on Wennberg, Dubinsky, and Nash and got them wrong. Well maybe not Dubinsky since he seems like a functional player now compared to last year.

But I think 4th line forwards are a blind spot for Jarmo. Give him credit perhaps for Hannikainen but he has missed on a BUNCH after Letestu/DMac left. Brian Gibbons, some guy whose name I forgot but started with a D and came from Toronto, Campbell, and so far Nash. Edit - D'Amigo is his name.

Fun fact - Campbell's claim to fame is breaking his leg on a PK shift and then still blocking a shot. Turns out he doesn't skate much better with 2 working legs.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Other than last years outlier numbers, Nash doesn’t convince me he can outscore Dubi. Whoopee! I’m not convinced he brings more to the table than Figs or Jenner playing center, something I’d prefer not to see. But I’m sure that he’s cheap is his positive, but that doesn’t make him good. Put me down as :thumbd: on the signing.

Called this to perfection. I don't wear hats but I'd take mine off to you if I did.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Jarmo is super terrible on UFA signings that are "bigger names" but has done OK on reclamation projects (Gagner, Duclair). Really the CBJ brass should take away his phone until at least July 5th every year.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Alright folks.

Early season prediction: goals, assists, point totals for Riley.

Go.

16 goals.
32 assists.
48 points.

you never see this happen but i’m gonna call myself out so hard.

lmao. how embarassing. easily my worst post ever on HF. goodness gracious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad