Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I say bite the bullet and buy Dubinsky out

They can afford it with Cole, Vanek, Calvert, and Johnson gone

PLD
Wennberg
Nash
Sedlak

There's my 4 centers, Foligno and Jenner can move to center as needed with injuries
Dubinsky is one of my favorite players, but I can't see him "bouncing back"

If no one will give us an 8th for him with 50% retention, then buy him out Jarmo

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah but you see plahing Jenner or Foligno at center kills our winger depth. The point of the move is to keep them on the wings. Jenner or Foligno can roll on Wennbergs wing and take draws whenever he struggles and then play wing after the draw.
I agree with you on weakening the wings. But the pay structure means that centers cost more than wingers. Thus, generally you can get much more skill and scoring power for the same cost or less for RW/LW in FA and trades. And for what we got, I'd have rather worked out something for a productive wing than a non-impact center.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Let's all hope this works out better than the last time we signed a bottom six center from the Bruins.

I literally FORGOT all about the guy in Columbus. "Warrior" and all that is great, but my god he was absolutely terrible "here". Worst part is he was brought in to fill a LEGIT empty role. For all the hate Dubi gets, you guys need to remember it could be much worse.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Buying out Dubi reduces the cap hit for next season (when we have plenty of spare cap) and spreads the cap hit until 6 years from now (we'll likely be pressed for cap in years 4-6 as Jones and company will be in their prime years). You buy him out when you're up against the cap.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My guess is that we got a good deal on Riley Nash because he wants to come here and be a lot more than a 3C. He got to be 1C for the Bruins for a few weeks and did very well, and he wants to come here and try to win that job. Good competition for Wenny and Dubois.

There's always the risk that Dubi has a productive season next year.

I think he'll play a lot better then get bought out anyways.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bruins fan here. You're getting a steal. I was actually shocked to see that kind of price tag, a lot of people on the Bruins board were thinking something over $4 million considering the career numbers. I think his playoffs (dealing with concussion issues) may have brought it down.

He's the type of player that other fanbases have no idea how good he is, and maybe passive fans of the team he's on won't know how good he is, but if you pay close attention to the game, you'll pick up pretty easily how effective he is defensively. Offense is icing on the cake.

Offensively, he's nothing special. He plays a safe/efficient game, and is just kind of average at everything skill-wise. If you're looking for point totals, I think it's dependent on what players he plays with. The Bruins primarily had him with Heinen (great puck control) and Backes (crash and bang style), and that 3rd line was a huge reason for the Bruins season last year. When Bergeron went down, he put up 5 goals, 8 assists in 13 games with Marchand and Pastrnak.

Defensively is where he shines though. Bergeron is in his own class, but I can't remember watching a player make the right play on as consistent of a basis as Nash does for quite some time with the Bruins. Very solid positionally with a good stick. Not overly physical but is pretty rangy and is good at protecting the puck. Not the quickest skater and plays a slower, more mechanical game. Giveaway/takeaway stats are pretty arbitrary, but his numbers (14 giveaways, 55 takeaways) reflect his game very well: in good position to remove the puck from opponents a lot of the time, and only very rarely will give up the puck due to his safer, more efficient game. He won't be the guy stripping players from the puck like Datsyuk, but he'll be the guy lending support down low, jumping on the loose puck, and chipping it away to safety. Not great on faceoffs. He won't stand out as being awful, but he's below average.

This video will give you some idea of his defensive impact:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Bruins fan here. You're getting a steal. I was actually shocked to see that kind of price tag, a lot of people on the Bruins board were thinking something over $4 million considering the career numbers. I think his playoffs (dealing with concussion issues) may have brought it down.

He's the type of player that other fanbases have no idea how good he is, and maybe passive fans of the team he's on won't know how good he is, but if you pay close attention to the game, you'll pick up pretty easily how effective he is defensively. Offense is icing on the cake.

Offensively, he's nothing special. He plays a safe/efficient game, and is just kind of average at everything skill-wise. If you're looking for point totals, I think it's dependent on what players he plays with. The Bruins primarily had him with Heinen (great puck control) and Backes (crash and bang style), and that 3rd line was a huge reason for the Bruins season last year. When Bergeron went down, he put up 5 goals, 8 assists in 13 games with Marchand and Pastrnak.

Defensively is where he shines though. Bergeron is in his own class, but I can't remember watching a player make the right play on as consistent of a basis as Nash does for quite some time with the Bruins. Very solid positionally with a good stick. Not overly physical but is pretty rangy and is good at protecting the puck. Not the quickest skater and plays a slower, more mechanical game. Giveaway/takeaway stats are pretty arbitrary, but his numbers (14 giveaways, 55 takeaways) reflect his game very well: in good position to remove the puck from opponents a lot of the time, and only very rarely will give up the puck due to his safer, more efficient game. He won't be the guy stripping players from the puck like Datsyuk, but he'll be the guy lending support down low, jumping on the loose puck, and chipping it away to safety. Not great on faceoffs. He won't stand out as being awful, but he's below average.

This was beautiful. Thank you for this.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Sounds like he'll fit right in. That should give us three solid two way lines. The 4th is still TBD.

Those are some damn good numbers. He's got a ton of talent around him, everyone has had big years, it's just no one has shown any consistency on the offense except Cam and Panarin.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
"It was a really quick thing that happened," said Nash, who was drafted 21st overall by the Hurricanes in 2007 at the draft held in Nationwide Arena. "You can talk to teams a week before the 'free-agency frenzy,' or whatever you want to call it, but we hadn't heard much from Columbus. So, it wasn't even on my radar. I got a call this morning and my agent said Columbus had come into it."
"You look at their team and what they did last year, and they're two wins away from putting the Stanley Cup champions out of the playoffs," he said. "You can't predict that they were going to be the Stanley Cup champion, obviously, but they were that close to ultimately achieving the goal. That was one of the things I wanted. I want to be part of a franchise that has been building in the right direction, and you see what Columbus has done in the last couple years. It's just a really solid franchise that hopefully I can add a little bit to that to maybe help us get over the hump next year."

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

PLD
Wennberg
Nash
Sedlak

There's my 4 centers, Foligno and Jenner can move to center as needed with injuries
Dubinsky is one of my favorite players, but I can't see him "bouncing back"

If no one will give us an 8th for him with 50% retention, then buy him out Jarmo

Buying out Dubinsky now is just wasting long-term cap. If we're not spending more $$ on UFAs this summer, there's no reason to buy him out. Wait till next offseason when his buyout cap hit is minimal.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I do like this signing. Everything I've read from Bruins fans on these boards and on twitter is very positive. Sounds like this may be one of the best non-Tavares UFA signings of the offseason. Plus, bringing in Nash on a multi-year deal is definitely an insurance plan on Dubinsky if he's traded or bought out by the end of next summer.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Thanks for this. Definitely not a player I've paid the most attention to, but have always come away thinking he's a (for lack of a better phrase) "solid player". 'Preciate the testimonial.

Happy with the signing, we'll see how it plays out.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Nash seems funny and quite a personality. @Hedger twitter feed. So tired of "you know_puck in net_bland guys"

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Was the start Sunday morning? I thought I read that Riley said Columbus wasn't even an option untl the called his agent in the morning.

I think we've reached a point where you can basically choose willy-nilly to believe whatever you want based on anything you've read. So choose whichever scenario you like best. You can always change your mind though so don't stress about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad