Recalled/Assigned: Riley Barber Sent down

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I did not know that hockey was different that anything else. Because for anything else you don't know if you got it and what you must improve until you experience the real thing.
You can't be a surgeon if you haven't finished your anatomy class, no need to try performing a surgery to know that.

They might discover they need something else once they hit the NHL, but if they're just not ready, then they already are working on stuff. Or not, in which case we should be worried.

Reactions: 1909

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I get the appeal to authority but no matter how many Habs staffers are involved, ultimate decision is on the GM.

The 3 glaring needs in the last 1-2 years have been LD, C and back up goalie. Quite the coincidence that all of those brought in to shore up those positions all have no or very little development time in the AHL. This leaves the impression that the team favours development except when there is a glaring need that the GM was not able to cover via other means, ready or not.

those decisions he makes are based on the information from those people who attend games because the GM can’t be everywhere all the time, it’s impossible.

He attends a few games to feel comfortable with the collective decision and up he comes.

Rushing a prospect to me would have to traded Petry in the off season like many wanted and thrOW Brook in the fire

they did not rush Primeau as he continued his progression in NCAA, gained experience in WJC and started the season in Laval. The kid did well, Kinkaid was shitting the bed so they call up Primeau, this is hardly a rush job as he’s done well in Laval on the collective. Had Price gotten hurt and said here you go Cayden, I’d have your back on your notion, this is clearly not the case though.

Players tend to get called up in positions of weakness, it’s usually how it goes, unless of course you draft Eichel or Dahlin, good players tend to not lose jobs over unproven rookies.

KK did very well in his rookie year, Fleury is doing quite well in his rookie year, Suzuki is doing quite well his rookie year. I have no objections with the decision making, nobody that I can see is seeing their talents going down the toilets.

if Poehling was still here being used on the 4th line, I’d take acception. It’s not the case

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
The way I see it, the fact they're keeping Evans, Vejdemo, Brook, and Poehling in the AHL right now may very well be because they care about those guys to keep them where they'll play more meaningful minutes and in more meaningful game situations.

Adam, I wish more people would read your posts slower and ponder your words before talking. They would sound smarter if they did. Thanks....I listen.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
those decisions he makes are based on the information from those people who attend games because the GM can’t be everywhere all the time, it’s impossible.

He attends a few games to feel comfortable with the collective decision and up he comes.

Rushing a prospect to me would have to traded Petry in the off season like many wanted and thrOW Brook in the fire

they did not rush Primeau as he continued his progression in NCAA, gained experience in WJC and started the season in Laval. The kid did well, Kinkaid was ****ting the bed so they call up Primeau, this is hardly a rush job as he’s done well in Laval on the collective. Had Price gotten hurt and said here you go Cayden, I’d have your back on your notion, this is clearly not the case though.

Players tend to get called up in positions of weakness, it’s usually how it goes, unless of course you draft Eichel or Dahlin, good players tend to not lose jobs over unproven rookies.

KK did very well in his rookie year, Fleury is doing quite well in his rookie year, Suzuki is doing quite well his rookie year. I have no objections with the decision making, nobody that I can see is seeing their talents going down the toilets.

if Poehling was still here being used on the 4th line, I’d take acception. It’s not the case

Quite the coincidence though that the three positions were filled by players with little to no development time.

I'm glad Brook is allowed to develp but you have to wonder if that would have been the case had the Habs not had such a deep contingent on RD at the NHL level.

As for Primeau, I agree about his NCAA dominance. The point I was making is that he wasn't at his best upon his call-up -- and yet he was called up during that time. Lindgren had NHL experience and not done too badly when called up in the past -- why wasn't he called up instead of Primeau and let Primeau continue on his path in the AHL? Now, this may be a moot argument if Primeau is not with the NHL team too long and is allowed back to logging far more significant minutes in the AHL. That remains to be seen.

As for how KK did in his rookie year, if he did that well, the head coach certainly didn't agree as he benched and limited KK's time in the second half.

Fleury is a different story, he's had his one year with Bouchard and showed that he was ready. Suzuki's last year in the juniors seems to have benefited him and he raised his game. That's just pure talent showing its own readiness -- and it's been showing so far this season. Instead of being in the AHL, Suzuki continued to develop elsewhere and to such an extent, that he was able to avoid the AHL. That doesn't mean the same equation holds for every other player who skips the AHL. We still don't know if Suzuki won't hit a wall or won't himself be demoted, so for now, all we can say is, so far so good.

I think Poehling's pre-season injury completely derailed him and I don't believe it even dawned upon him that he might be demoted. He seemed not to accept his demotion very well and it's kind of understandable as he thought he had a legitimate chance of making the team out of camp. If Poehling had made the team, then who knows where he'd play. He might even be on the 4th line right now so Poehling in the minors, sounds like he ended up there due to a downspiraling following a bad break. I agree that it worked out for the better in that he's playing on the first line in the AHL and getting his minutes.

Reactions: 1909

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Barber has US College and plenty of AHL games under his belt but has only managed to play 3 NHL games, what is his problem? Can't skate or is he just empty from the neck up?

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
Barber has US College and plenty of AHL games under his belt but has only managed to play 3 NHL games, what is his problem? Can't skate or is he just empty from the neck up?
I would say part of the problem is that Washington was pretty stacked down the right side, Oshie, Wilson, Connolly, then Chiasson and Smith-pelly before he fell off a cliff. Caps haven't really relied on a lot of call ups over the past few years

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Its simple, 15 points in his last 12 games and CJ wants to win games not worry about the development of Evans or Vejdemo.

Barber is on fire and the staff feel he will give them a better chance to win in Pitts(his hometown) than the other guys.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I just realized something! What if Price gets injured? Armageddon!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He showed me literally nothing in his nine games, barely noticed him at all.... one contract I would get rid of next year.

He signed for one year only, so unless they extend him, he's not back next year.

He should have never been called up to Montreal. But him going back to Laval will be a very good thing. He was real hot for the Rocket before his call up with 17 pts in his last 14 GP with Laval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad