Recalled/Assigned: Riley Barber Sent down

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I am now content with the call-up, classy move

Nothing to do with class,he was next up,merely filling a void. Habs are getting good looks this season at players and seeing if there is something there are not. Hudon failed RP was a shot in the dark and went as expected. Peca now will have a turn as well as Barber and the beat goes on.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Good for him, he was a hot Rocket these last few games....but yikes...we may be icing:

Cousins - Domi - Weal
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Lehkonen - Suzuki - Armia
Peca - Thompson - Barber

This is scary.

Who are the suckers paying to watch that garbage lineup?

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Untitled.jpg
upload_2019-12-9_13-15-21.jpeg

Jul 6, 2016
That notion is your plan

None of our youngsters are McDavid, or Crosby caliber. A bit of time at AHL level would not had hurt. And I forgot Primeau who should never had been re-called.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
None of our youngsters are McDavid, or Crosby caliber. A bit of time at AHL level would not had hurt. And I forgot Primeau who should never had been re-called.
You don’t need to be McDavid though to get a crack at the big league at 20.....and speaking of Primeau, besides his first period, after he settled down, he looked pretty good vs a top 4 team in the league, don’t you think? My guess is the second Kinkaid is ready, they switch spots.

Poehling, Brook, Primeau, all these young guys are eating their crumbs in the AHL, do fid Fleury last year.....Suzuki is obviously ready and KK is hitting that sophomore slump....so far I’m happy with the way they’ve handled the young guys.

Easy thing was to call up Poehling.....nope, keep him down there, develop kid.

What’s your take on Caufield at seasons end.....is he joining Habs for a playoff run or is it Laval for CC

Jul 6, 2016
You don’t need to be McDavid though to get a crack at the big league at 20.....and speaking of Primeau, besides his first period, after he settled down, he looked pretty good vs a top 4 team in the league, don’t you think? My guess is the second Kinkaid is ready, they switch spots.

Poehling, Brook, Primeau, all these young guys are eating their crumbs in the AHL, do fid Fleury last year.....Suzuki is obviously ready and KK is hitting that sophomore slump....so far I’m happy with the way they’ve handled the young guys.

What’s your take on Caufield at seasons end.....is he joining Habs for a playoff run or is it Laval for CC

Sorry. That's not the way to go. These youngsters are very raw. KK is the living proof of that. One good season at AHL level won't ruin their future.

Reactions: montreal and Wats

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Sorry. That's not the way to go. These youngsters are very raw. KK is the living proof of that.
A kid in his second year is slumping......and that’s your proof.....ok

you haven’t answered the raw and talented Caufield?? What should the Habs do with him, I mean he’s no McDavid so is he Laval bound?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
When looking at the League standings he Habs are in a 4 way tie for 22nd place with Tampa & Nashville 1 point back with 3 & 2 games in hand respectively. Chicago 2 points back with same games played. 25th Overall isn't out of the question with the injuries piling up, Brook & Juulsen(Defencemen) in Laval as are Evans, Vejdemo & Poehling(Centers/Wingers). My thought is the Habs are trying to stay in contention for the wildcard spot, which may give our prospects lots of quality icetime in the AHL. Wondering if J.Evans(RW) with R.Poehling(C) with Vejdemo(LW) would be a productive 1st line in the AHL, a line that could be brought up at the deadline as a 3rd line for the Habs? The Habs need to keep these young prospects in Laval with ample opportunity to play against top AHL talent with lots of icetime, preparing them for when our injured roster players get healthy. Possibly giving the Habs a top nine that can produce at the NHL level, with Thompson, Cousins & Barber as their 4th line.:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:The competition for roles with the Habs is definitely the best it has been in over two decades, keep it coming while the Habs fight for the wildcard spot.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Can’t be worse than Hudon. So we’ll see the 4th line revolving door continues.
This may damning him with the faintest of praise , but in this writer’s opinion, Barber is a better skater than many of the current players on the roster.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know if i should laugh or cry. I guess at this point i should laugh. Called it this summer that the supposed AHL guys we signed would eventually play in the NHL.
You called an AHLer being called up when we have 3 regulars injured? Wow, I'm impressed.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You called an AHLer being called up when we have 3 regulars injured? Wow, I'm impressed.

Are what is your feeling about people who said they would not play a single game it was 120% sure? Could still be true Barber has yet to play a game but still ... Sometime you say stupid things to counter other stupid things said by others. I wish we would have better depth in the AHL.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Are what is your feeling about people who said they would not play a single game it was 120% sure? Could still be true Barber has yet to play a game but still ... Sometime you say stupid things to counter other stupid things said by others.
The guy spent all his time in the AHL and got called up when we have 3 regulars injured. He wasn't part of the team when we were healthy. It really isn't that hard to understand.

Reactions: 1909 and jaffy27

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The guy spent all his time in the AHL and got called up when we have 3 regulars injured. He wasn't part of the team when we were healthy. It really isn't that hard to understand.

What lead you to believe i don't understand? You do realize i'm being sarcastic here right? I'd prefer to see one of our mid 20ies kids? But hey they are no ready must spend 20 years in the AHL before being a good enough person i guess. Can't have enough scrubs from other teams in a lineup i guess.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

For every one of those players that are spending development time at the AHL level, you also have players like Mete and perhaps KK, who look like they should have spent more time in lower leagues. Not coincidentally, both KK and Mete play positions of glaring need for the Habs so there is some evidence to say that they may have been rushed. One could argue that with Kinkaid's subpar performance so far this season, Primeau's call up was accelerated -- he wasn't even playing well at the time he was called up.

It's this kind of unevenness that becomes a lingering irritant. The GM pontificates about how no prospect should be rushed and he uses the anecdote about how no one has ever complained about a prospect overstays in the minors before he's called up. Well, where was that restraint shown in KK's, Mete's and now Primeau's situation?

Reactions: 1909

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
This may damning him with the faintest of praise , but in this writer’s opinion, Barber is a better skater than many of the current players on the roster.[/QUOTE

Gets to the right place and can defend?
Can elaborate more? faster,stronger,quicker,sounds like you have insight.
A step up on? can potential overtake?

Thought of him as more of a finisher,but playing with Peca and Nate,not particularly the ideal line-mates to flourish with. Like Peca's speed and Nate's effectiveness and leadership,bot not much play-making ability among that trio. Does that trio have the wherewithal to defend admirably and able to produce the occasional scoring threat?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
For every one of those players that are spending development time at the AHL level, you also have players like Mete and perhaps KK, who look like they should have spent more time in lower leagues. Not coincidentally, both KK and Mete play positions of glaring need for the Habs so there is some evidence to say that they may have been rushed. One could argue that with Kinkaid's subpar performance so far this season, Primeau's call up was accelerated -- he wasn't even playing well at the time he was called up.

It's this kind of unevenness that becomes a lingering irritant. The GM pontificates about how no prospect should be rushed and he uses the anecdote about how no one has ever complained about a prospect overstays in the minors before he's called up. Well, where was that restraint shown in KK's, Mete's and now Primeau's situation?

As for Primeau, I don’t believe he’s being rushed, let’s take a look at what they are asking him to do.....second Price and start 3-4 games a month.....that’s it.
If Price were injured and they threw him in the fire I would say yes, this has the optics of a rush job and could possibly hurt his development.

Im convinced that the decision to bring up Primeau was not concluded after a 2min process. Goalie coach, Bouchard, assistant GM and whoever has been watching the Laval games collaborated and drew up the plan.

As for Primeau’s performance of late.....was he letting in bad goals, showing frustration, being a bad teammate or was this a team thing, a collective breakdown of the team in front of him.

This let’s not rush the kids is not a written in stone self imposed rule that no player can ever make the team out of camp.

There will be exceptions to that statement......you have dozens of scouts and personnel who watch these kids play and if they believe they have what it takes, and there’s a position available, no doubt they would start the season in Montreal.

We had a large void at the LHD position this off season.....I did not see anyone from our young core stay back in Montreal, the need was there but the kids are not ready.....so, back to junior you go.
Caufield, wanted to stay in Montreal....back to NCAA for you kid.

as the season progresses, injuries will happen, some players that were meant to develop longer in the AHL may end up getting the early call, that’s just shit that happens over the course of a long season.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As for Primeau, I don’t believe he’s being rushed, let’s take a look at what they are asking him to do.....second Price and start 3-4 games a month.....that’s it.
If Price were injured and they threw him in the fire I would say yes, this has the optics of a rush job and could possibly hurt his development.

Im convinced that the decision to bring up Primeau was not concluded after a 2min process. Goalie coach, Bouchard, assistant GM and whoever has been watching the Laval games collaborated and drew up the plan.

As for Primeau’s performance of late.....was he letting in bad goals, showing frustration, being a bad teammate or was this a team thing, a collective breakdown of the team in front of him.

This let’s not rush the kids is not a written in stone self imposed rule that no player can ever make the team out of camp.

There will be exceptions to that statement......you have dozens of scouts and personnel who watch these kids play and if they believe they have what it takes, and there’s a position available, no doubt they would start the season in Montreal.

We had a large void at the LHD position this off season.....I did not see anyone from our young core stay back in Montreal, the need was there but the kids are not ready.....so, back to junior you go.
Caufield, wanted to stay in Montreal....back to NCAA for you kid.

as the season progresses, injuries will happen, some players that were meant to develop longer in the AHL may end up getting the early call, that’s just **** that happens over the course of a long season.

I get the appeal to authority but no matter how many Habs staffers are involved, ultimate decision is on the GM.

The 3 glaring needs in the last 1-2 years have been LD, C and back up goalie. Quite the coincidence that all of those brought in to shore up those positions all have no or very little development time in the AHL. This leaves the impression that the team favours development except when there is a glaring need that the GM was not able to cover via other means, ready or not.

Reactions: 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad