Waived: Riley Barber Clears Waivers (Assigned to Laval)

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I will never pretend like I understand anything about inner workings of the NHL club, but... why would you have a player at the main camp and risking losing him on waivers if it was plain obvious he wasn't going to make the big team. I mean... what'st he point? Have fewer games, play the guys that have the most realistic chance at making the team and keep the rest in the A.

However, I am sure there are other factors here I am simply not aware of.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I will never pretend like I understand anything about inner workings of the NHL club, but... why would you have a player at the main camp and risking losing him on waivers if it was plain obvious he wasn't going to make the big team. I mean... what'st he point? Have fewer games, play the guys that have the most realistic chance at making the team and keep the rest in the A.

I think everyone would agree about cutting camp short and getting the main roster together quicker and get things going.

However, it's the league that decides to have such a long preseason. More money.

As for having players you know won't make the cut is only so there are enough bodies to give vets time off. If you're playing Weber, Mete, Petry, Domi, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi, and all the sure fire players every other night in preseason, you risk injuries.

Also, even if some players have very little chance of cracking the line-up, they can use the preseason as a chance to show what they have. So if injuries and trades occur, they will be the ones who get called up.

So for some of these guys, it's not so much making the opening night line-up, but more about leaving enough of an impression to where he becomes a name discussed for an NHL stint.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

The reason why teams carry 40 or so players is simply to fill out a roster big enough for full on practices/scrimmages.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I may be wrong, but I'm not quite sure whether Barber was or wasn't at the camp has no bearing on the fact he had to clear waivers for the upcoming season.

As for Barber, I liked what I've seen, but I'm surprised he's the ONLY guy on waivers today.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Impressed by his preseason, though it's unlikely he could have kept up that level of play long-term. If he clears he'll be a decent option for call-ups if injuries start to pile up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
he should easily clear but I also liked what I saw from him in the preseason. He was a very good player in the NCAA and was just shy of a ppg in the AHL last season so very much looking forward to seeing him in Laval.

Reactions: Vachon23

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com

I will not pretend I know more than you but my understanding is that he was signed to play in Laval but he has to go through waiver to accomplish that.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I will not pretend I know more than you but my understanding is that he was signed to play in Laval but he has to go through waiver to accomplish that.
That's correct. A depth forward signing, but a real goal scoring threat at the AHL level.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I may be wrong, but I'm not quite sure whether Barber was or wasn't at the camp has no bearing on the fact he had to clear waivers for the upcoming season.

As for Barber, I liked what I've seen, but I'm surprised he's the ONLY guy on waivers today.

Of the players still in camp and requiring waivers, whom I think could be cut there are
Peca, Weise, Cousins, Varone, Hudon, Alzner, Ouellet and Lindgren who are healthy, and only one of whom (not Lindgren) might stay
McCarron, Oloffson who are injured

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

MB gonna MB......searching for bargains anywhere, and everywhere...also the busiest GM in the league, bar none.......

Rinse and Repeat...8 yrs in.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
In other words, Cousins won't be cut?
I think Cousins survives if Byron is not ready, or if we carry 14 forwards. I have Poehling ahead of Cousins though. Sooner or later, Cousins will probably be on waivers.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Impressed by his preseason, though it's unlikely he could have kept up that level of play long-term. If he clears he'll be a decent option for call-ups if injuries start to pile up.

I wasn't that impressed. He looked like the typical tweener player to me, where he would be a valuable ahler, but not good enough to be a full time nhler.

I think the plan was always to have guys like him and varone in the AHL to bolster up that lineup which needed additional scoring talents.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
I remember watching this kid in the World Juniors...good scoring forward with a lot of skill. Had a productive college career but I guess he's just not good enough offensively to crack a top 6 or 9 spot and doesn't fit on the 4th line.

Should be a great addition to Laval on the top 6.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Laval's keeping the light on for you, Riley.

AridCelebratedBlackrussianterrier-size_restricted.gif

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

They signed him as a UFA this summer, giving him another shot. Not much to lose if he is claimed on waivers. It's like a professional try-out. If he doesn't get claimed, he plays in Laval all year. It's not a bad thing for Laval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad