Confirmed with Link: Rights to Gregory Hofmann for a 2022 7th Round Pick

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How on earth did we still have his rights? :laugh:
I’m going to guess that it’s because the Swiss league didn’t have a transfer agreement with the NHL until April 2020. Hofmann tried re-entering the draft a few years after Carolina drafted him, but the lack of a transfer agreement prevented it.

Just speculation though.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I’m going to guess that it’s because the Swiss league didn’t have a transfer agreement with the NHL until April 2020. Hofmann tried re-entering the draft a few years after Carolina drafted him, but the lack of a transfer agreement prevented it.

Just speculation though.
It was discussed a while back, can't find where, but I believe that was it. It's the same deal with the KHL guys, their draft rights will be held indefinitely if not signed.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Draft rights are pretty much forever if the player doesn't sign with another NHL club.
Um. "Draft rights" aren't anything but the exclusive negotiation right a team has on the player, so a ban of any other NHL to negotiate or sign with him. The draft rights most often do lapse at the CBA-mandated time, if not signed timely by the club.

elderlyladysaysthisisnothowanyofthisworks.gif

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Um. "Draft rights" aren't anything but the exclusive negotiation right a team has on the player, so a ban of any other NHL to negotiate or sign with him. The draft rights most often do lapse at the CBA-mandated time, if not signed timely by the club.

elderlyladysaysthisisnothowanyofthisworks.gif

Well, we still had his rights, and it's been 10 years so, yeah they go on for awhile it would seem.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well, we still had his, and it's been 10 years so, yeah they go on for awhile it would seem.
Yes, because with KHL and used-to-be-with-Swiss League there is no expiration date for the draft rights, apparently because of lack of transfer agreement/non-associated league reasons.

Very rare situation for a guy with a non-Russian name.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Well, we still had his rights, and it's been 10 years so, yeah they go on for awhile it would seem.

not really. NCAA players go ufa without signing. Frederick Andersen re-entered the draft. Chl prospects have gone ufa after a few years, etc.

Draft rights don’t go on for a while. I’m pretty sure this has to do with the Swiss league not having a transfer agreement with the nhl until April.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
not really. NCAA players go ufa without signing. Frederick Andersen re-entered the draft. Chl prospects have gone ufa after a few years, etc.

Draft rights don’t go on forever. I’m pretty sure this has to do with the Swiss league not having a transfer agreement with the nhl until April.

I guess I was wrong here, but this kind of long isn't common anyway.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Talking with him, almost certainly. With or without our permission to do so, who knows? My guess is the Blue Jackets asked if they could negotiate with him, and Waddell said "Who? Be my guest. If he's ready to sign with y'all just throw us a pick."
Your scenario is very probable. I was meaning to do humor of an NHL team choosing to tamper with an eternally drafted prospect of all people. "NHL by-laws schmylaws, we're getting this guy!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad