Right and Wrong

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Now that the regular season's over, I thought it might be fun for everybody to gloat a little about what they were right on, and take their lumps for what they were dead wrong about.

The only caveat is that there have to be the same number of rights and wrongs. No megalomania or masochism.

RIGHT
1. Zucker was a mistake. Waste of assets for a guy we didn't need and hasn't clicked at all. Now he's ED jetsam.
2. Sprong is a very good offensive player - 2nd best G/60 in the league after Matthews. The more opportunity he gets, the more he scores. And of course, it's on the Caps.
3. DeSmith is a great back-up. Victim of circumstance with Murray and Jarry, and the demotion clearly affected him. But back in the NHL, he hasn't missed a beat. He's been better than Jarry this year.
4. Jankowski. He shouldn't dress for this team again. Adds nothing.

WRONG
1. Kapanen. I had reservations about him working in a scoring line role, but he's killing it with or without Malkin. Great addition and well worth the price we paid.
2. The PP. In spite of not having an RH shot, we're back in the top 5. McCann's shot really made it work while Malkin was out, and we seem to have found a groove.
3. Ceci. His signing was compared to JJ, but he's basically the anti-JJ. Dude does everything well, and he's playing with a lot of confidence. I feel more comfortable with him on the ice than any other defenseman, which I couldn't have imagined myself saying last off-season. High priority re-sign, short-term.
4. Rodrigues. Useful player when used in the bottom 6.

Full disclosure: Even though I still don't like the deal, Matheson's skating on the back end has been a positive and Ceci works well covering for his shortcomings.

Last edited:

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Right:

1. Kapanen was going to come and start Klapping.

2. McCann is a beast and a player we should keep. Some people felt we overpaid him I believe in the off-season. Where they at now?

3. Initial day response to Matheson was bad however. After doing my own terrible research I actually changed my tune and that's why it is in the right column. I actually believed he could turn it around and that his cap hit isn't absolutely horrible. The guy has turned into someone I actually want to protect and keep in the expansion draft. He has size and adds an element. How many zone entries does this guy create compared to our other defenseman? Hope the guy stays in our blue line all contract minus maybe his last year where we suck and we are getting a 2nd pick back.

Wrong:

1. Zucker I thought he was going to be a big offensive contributor for us this year.

2. Carter after I realized he's worth a 2nd and 4th. Initial thought was the Kings are bad, have not heard his name in a while. This is not the top 6 winger we wanted. Boy o boy am I wrong on that so wrong. Like probably are best forward since we acquired him.

3. Desmeth I didn't really talk about it here a lot but I didn't think he was going to get us the necessary wins in the backup role to give us such a good playoff spot. Felt Jarry was going to have to carry the load. Yea wrong!

Reactions: Trade

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I will happily apologize to Sully. I thought he lost the team earlier in the season and that his days were soon done. Turns out he can get the best out of a team with a little adversity and can motivate guys trying to break into the line up.
It remains to be seen how well the team will do in the playoffs, but I think the team has as good a shot to win the whole shebang as anyone.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Right

1. Thought this was a good team that'd probably be alright
2. Thought the bottom six gamble would work itself out
3. Thought that Jarry/DeSmith would be fine

Wrong

1. Thought Matheson-Ceci would be an abomination
2. Thought we'd really screwed up trusting ERod after the first few games
3. Thought Kapanen was a big gamble, he's been amazing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Now that the regular season's over, I thought it might be fun for everybody to gloat a little about what they were right on, and take their lumps for what they were dead wrong about.

The only caveat is that there have to be the same number of rights and wrongs. No megalomania or masochism.

RIGHT
1. Zucker was a mistake. Waste of assets for a guy we didn't need and hasn't clicked at all. Now he's ED jetsam.
2. Sprong is a very good offensive player - 2nd best G/60 in the league after Matthews. The more opportunity he gets, the more he scores. And of course, it's on the Caps.
3. DeSmith is a great back-up. Victim of circumstance with Murray and Jarry, and the demotion clearly affected him. But back in the NHL, he hasn't missed a beat. He's been better than Jarry this year.
4. Jankowski. He shouldn't dress for this team again. Adds nothing.

WRONG
1. Kapanen. I had reservations about him working in a scoring line role, but he's killing it with or without Malkin. Great addition and well worth the price we paid.
2. The PP. In spite of not having an RH shot, we're back in the top 5. McCann's shot really made it work while Malkin was out, and we seem to have found a groove.
3. Ceci. His signing was compared to JJ, but he's basically the anti-JJ. Dude does everything well, and he's playing with a lot of confidence. I feel more comfortable with him on the ice than any other defenseman, which I couldn't have imagined myself saying last off-season. High priority re-sign, short-term.
4. Rodrigues. Useful player when used in the bottom 6.

Full disclosure: Even though I still don't like the deal, Matheson's skating on the back end has been a positive and Ceci works well covering for his shortcomings.

Word, I didn't realize we were top 5 in league on the PP.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Right
Offensive depth was not an issue
Kris Letang would not wilt due to age
Kapanen being a solid trade

Wrong
Ceci
McCann should be traded if he wasn't playing C.
Worrying about Jarry.

He did play a bunch of C tbf.

I think he's become one of those players who's really comfortable at both and I think that's such a huge godsend to this org given how our injury problems roll. If we were to do things we're excited for about next season mine would be seeing if McCann and Kapanen can continue their ascent to being bona fide stars. Like, if they can get 16-17 minutes a game and keep scoring like they've been (might be a bit of an ask tbf) they're top 100 players.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
This thread should probably just have an asterisk for Ceci, because everyone was slamming that deal. I was indifferent because of the actual contract, but boy did the signing get hammered in here.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Right:
-Knew Bennett and Hall would be great additions for whatever team that acquired them, despite a lot of folks saying both weren't going to make an impact or worth acquiring.

Wrong:
-Didn't think Carter addition would move the needle all that much. An upgrade on Jankowski, for sure, but not the kind of impact where he's turned our 3rd line into a legitimate offensive threat.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Right: Zucker was a bad fit here and would quickly become a whipping boy
Wrong: Kapanen might not fit in / might be a defensive liability

I'm still hopeful I might end up wrongish re: Zucker in the post season if he continues to post up in front of the net. I'm not sure he can survive a post season doing that, but I'm willing to risk it.

In general, we've done better than I thought we would this year, and that's great.

I expected us to be out in the first round because we've been a perimeter team for such long stretches this year, but guys have been changing up their games down the stretch, led by Carter and Zuck.

Now I've got some hope.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Right about Matheson, Jankowski, getting a Carter like player to elevate our quality of depth. Right about our goaltending holding up. Right in Keeping Rust (this was a saga even before this year).

Wrong about Ceci and glad I was.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Right
  • Blue would be a good 3C. I thought it was such a safe bet but there was some pushback from some here on that opinion.
  • Was very confident in Jarry as our #1. The start was rough but rebounded like Dennis Rodman without the dyed hair.
Wrong
  • Ceci. Thought maybe he COULD be effective as a #6 but still didn’t want him.
  • Matheson. Had good attributes but didn’t think he’d put them together as well as he had. He’s still a dog because he was traded for my fave, Patric Hornqvist :laugh:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Would have been interesting to see if we'd gotten this Sprong if we hadn't messed up his development.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I said Sully should have been fired after the Philly 3 goal lead collapse and they lost like 5 games all season after that so that was probably a bad take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->