Right and Left defenseman potential NHL

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Alexandre Magny, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Vachon23

Vachon23 Registered User

Even Romanov I’m not sure he’s starting the year in the NHL next year

Milhouse40 likes this.
  2. Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels Registered User

There is also Otto Leskinen on the left side.

3. DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave Voice of Reason

He’ll be ready though. Heck he’s ready now prolly.

jaffy27 likes this.
  4. LaP

LaP Registered User

A year? More like years. Not saying they wont be in the NHL by 2020-2021 but before they become dominant it will take some time.

5. Treb

Treb Moderator

As much as Mete was ready his first year. Good enough to hang on, but probably would do better playing in the AHL.

6. Vachon23

Vachon23 Registered User

We will see next year if he’s ready it’s to early, he can become a total flop to ..

7. DramaticGloveSave

I meant for our prospect pool.

8. DramaticGloveSave

I think he’s legit. He may never be a 50+ points type d-man but I think he’ll be a quality top pairing guy.

9. DarkSender

DarkSender Registered User

Engineering Student
    He "may" never be a 50+ points... What ?? That's PK Subban's stats and even better.

Listen.. Romanov is NEVER going to be a 50+ points type d-man. Heck he ain't having more than 30 points a season. And that would actually be good drafting if you get a d-man like that (around 20-25pts) at his first or second NHL season. We're either overestimating his potential or just being delusional on what we're searching for a D-man. Dont get too high on a prospect that scored 4 points in 43 KHL games last year.

Romanov, was never an offensive D-man in the KHL. You can compare him to Mete in the NHL - we still don't know if he will ever be offensive one day.

Romanov can skate, he can hit, he has a good hockey IQ and he defends well. What happened in the WC is a fluke.. he still has to show if he's able to do that at a higher level.

10. JimboJay

JimboJay Registered User

Depends. I have heard some rumors that if MB manages to land a top, young LHD in a trade, one of the returning pieces might be Mete. So you upgrade that #1 LD position. I mean I dont want to lose Mete as part of a deal for an older LD but if its say, part of the package to land Sanheim? sure. Sanheim-Weber Kulak-Petry is a solid top 4 & we'd be ok losing Mete. Obviously it would be better to lose Kulak or Chiarot or Reilly as part of the deal but honestly, none of those guys have the value Mete does as a developing prospect. They'd be little more than a throw-in even though I think Kulak can be a legit #4.

So while i am not advocating trading Mete, if there's an opportunity to upgrade that #1LD spot and he's one of the main pieces going the other way, I can live with it. As always, it comes down to the ask & the return.

11. yianik

yianik Registered User

MB has to stay frosty and have his finger on things. Flyers are a team to keep an eye on for sure with the Ghost rumours that were floating around and a still unsigned Provorov.

Anyway, lots of things will break at one point or another and MB has to try to see if he can capitalize.

12. Frozenice

Frozenice the random dude

2021 - 2022

Romanov - Brook
    Struble - Mete
    Kulak - Fleury

13. jaffy27

jaffy27 From Russia wth Pain

Airline Pilot
    Anyone can become a flop, but judging on what we’ve seen, my guess, and it’s a guess, is that he’s top 4 material easily.

Watch this guy completely dominate the U20 WJC

14. Vachon23

Vachon23 Registered User

I know but it’s still just a 2 week tournament even if it is with the best of the world

15. jaffy27

Airline Pilot
    He was the best at his position in this best of the best tournament, And did this as an 18year old, I’m expecting nothing but total domination in the next tournament.

He’s a teen playing in a men’s league.....I would easily drop a G on this guy making it.

angusyoung likes this.
  16. Kriss E

Kriss E Registered User

"making it” doesnt mean much though.
    But ya, let's see him dominate further this year at the tourney.
    Question, what will you think if he doesnt?

17. jaffy27

Airline Pilot
    Making it in top 4, it’s where I see this going.

If he doesn’t dominate, I’ll be disappointed for sure, as an almost 20yr old, he should take over this tournament at his position, like Chabot did a few years back

On a side note, hope all is good for you in Hong Kong....my FO is Chinese and his GF is in HK fight now and he’s a little worried. Apparently the Chinese military has made their way there??

Crazy

18. Kriss E

Kriss E Registered User

I guess we will see how he does.

As for Hong Kong, it's much worse on TV than it is in reality. If it wasnt a hot topic, I wouldnt know anything was happening.

Moving paramilitary troops I think is probably a media stunt the Chinese are doing as they know it will be reported. They would gain nothing from an intervention, it would make no sense at all now.
    The vast vast majority of protesters are peaceful...you have maybe small groups engaging in violence and it's only on a few nights. There hasn't been anything since Monday here really, not sure what the army would even do...like...loll literally nobody protesting in the streets right now.

There would be massive economical, social and political consequences to army intervention that would likely change HK significantly. It ain't gonna happen.

The protesters also know they messed up by taking it too far forcing the airport to shutdown. They even issued an apology.
    Some protests are planned for the weekend, but there is also a gin festival tomorrow, which is where I'll be headed...

Theres really nothing to be worried about right now. It hasn't reached that level.

19. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

i don't put too much stock because it's such a short tournament and some of the teams there really suck. But look at Puljujarvi he dominated the WJC's, he had one of the best age 17 WCJ's in the history of the tournament. MVP at 17 and now he's fallen out of favor. Collberg was over a ppg at 17, went on to be top 10 all time in Sweden in WJC points, yet he's never done much of anything since then. People went nuts for Poehling getting named MVP but he didn't have a single point in the 3 medal round games, he had one great game vs Sweden and a good one vs Kazakhstan, the other 6 games he had 2 pts. Now we'll see what he does, I'm sure he'll be a better NHLer then Puljujarvi has been to date although not fair to compare them since different situations. Just pointing out how some have dominated the tournament and then the hype got higher and the results didn't follow.

It's a long process, you watch them each year and look to see how they are improving on their weaknesses, what kind of progress are they making year over year and go from there. Each season passed teaches us more about each prospect at the various stages of their development. So opinions should adjust with each new set of information.

Vachon23 likes this.
  20. angusyoung

angusyoung Registered User

self employed?
    I want to see if Leskinen,Reily and Olofsson can actually play against top end talent and look good now. If not,time in the A being groomed properly can only be beneficial. All can skate above average already,just need to hone the rest of their game.