Right and Left defenseman potential NHL

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Bad news for you if hes not , hes not a good defensive d-man

He never was an offensive D, had you watched him in the juniors you'd know that, and he actually is pretty good defensively, especially for his age.

Again, watch him play. Or look his defensive stats. Or both. Whatever.

Reactions: 417

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He never was an offensive D, had you watched him in the juniors you'd know that, and he actually is pretty good defensively, especially for his age.

Again, watch him play. Or look his defensive stats. Or both. Whatever.

He needs to add a lot of dimensions to his offensive game to put up points in the NHL. Not that he can't, he's skilled and he's a smart kid by all accounts, but he's not there. We can only talk about potential because he's been a non factor, if not a liability, offensively to date.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
He needs to add a lot of dimensions to his offensive game to put up points in the NHL. Not that he can't, he's skilled and he's a smart kid by all accounts, but he's not there. We can only talk about potential because he's been a non factor, if not a liability, offensively to date.

My reply was about the misconception that he ever was an offensive dman, he never was, and about the defensive side of his game, which is already impressive given his age. He knows where to be and read plays very well already. Wasn't out of place with Weber, especially when he came back from Laval.

But yeah, absolutely, he will need to put up more points on the table to be more than a good #4-5, eating minutes sure isn't enough for a top pairing D. (something I don't think he'll ever be)

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My reply was about the misconception that he ever was an offensive dman, he never was, and about the defensive side of his game, which is already impressive given his age. He knows where to be and read plays very well already. Wasn't out of place with Weber, especially when he came back from Laval.

But yeah, absolutely, he will need to put up more points on the table to be more than a good #4-5, eating minutes sure isn't enough for a top pairing D. (something I don't think he'll ever be)

Want more for someone playing top 2 minutes.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Good then send him on a third pair where he belongs , hes nothing special

I don’t think too many people would disagree normally, but have you forgotten how bad our left side has been last couple seasons? The past is the past now, but we have to wait until training camp to see where the chips fall. Chiarot should be higher up the left side but for all we know, Mete may have improved significantly over the offseason.

FWIW, I don’t see Mete as a top-4 player either, but last couple seasons, he was top-4 by default on our team. That said, he did earn that spot as he was pretty solid after his AHL stint.

Reactions: vokiel

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
It's especially true when you look at the Habs through a fishbowl and don't bother looking around the league to see that most teams struggle to put together 6 quality NHL Dmen.

But I mean sure...let's continue to act like this is the worst D corps to ever play in the NHL.

Yeah, but most teams at least have a bonafide top two-pairing left D... we don't! Our top LD's are 2nd pairing on their best day, bottom pairing usually.

Our right side is actually fine. Weber + Petry is better than a lot of teams's top 2 RD.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I don’t think too many people would disagree normally, but have you forgotten how bad our left side has been last couple seasons? The past is the past now, but we have to wait until training camp to see where the chips fall. Chiarot should be higher up the left side but for all we know, Mete may have improved significantly over the offseason.

FWIW, I don’t see Mete as a top-4 player either, but last couple seasons, he was top-4 by default on our team. That said, he did earn that spot as he was pretty solid after his AHL stint.
Yeah i know our Left side it sucks , When you have to play Mete and Kulak in ur top 4 , means alot.
I dont see Chiarot more than a 3rd pair d-man. Our left side is just complete dog shit imo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Romanov, Struble, Harris, Norlinder, Fairbrother...

LD could be a huge strength in a year...

How many of these guys will realistically be ready to vye for an NHL job in a year — Romanov and Norlinder?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How many of these guys will realistically be ready to vye for an NHL job in a year — Romanov and Norlinder?

Romanov if he doesn't re-sign with his KHL club. I would be shocked if Norlinder goes from Allsvenskan to the NHL. If Harris has a big enough year I could see him turning pro if he wants to, which we have no way of knowing. There's the whole strength/mass thing as well as he would benefit from not being rushed and he doesn't qualify for the NCAA "loophole" so signing him after his Junior year wouldn't be a bad thing. But if he plays so well it would be hard to keep him there.

Fairbrother will likely be in Laval after this season since he's a late B-day so I don't think he will be in the WHL as an overager in '20-'21. Same for LeGuerrier although I've never seen him play so I can't say if they would want him to play in the OHL as an overager in '20-'21.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I definitely like the sound of that. Better that those not named Romanov be brought up slowly and when overripe.
I think Romanov makes Mete expendable next offseason unless Mete takes a big step forward. Everyone else has until the Kulak and Chiarot contracts expire in 3 years to get ready.

Reactions: angusyoung

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kulak was underratedly good last year but should be a third pair guy. Chiarot is gonna be a liability out of the gate so yeah it they move Mete to keep Chiarot I'll lose my ****ing mind.

We might see

Mete Weber
Romanov Petry
Kulak Juulsen

Although Weber might be a better mentor for Romanov, and Mete ready to play with Petry.
Short stint for Chiarot.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Kulak was underratedly good last year but should be a third pair guy. Chiarot is gonna be a liability out of the gate so yeah it they move Mete to keep Chiarot I'll lose my ****ing mind.

Missed a lot down the stretch. From what I saw of Kulak I didn't mind for a 3rd pairing guy. Seemed to be odd positionally in his own zone but all in all fine. But better than Mete? No idea what some are thinking. One guy lasted on the top pairing, the other didn't. The former also is significantly younger as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad