Riga sole host for 2021 world championships (Mod warning in post #204)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I think if it goes a head it will not be it's normal size.
This will only happen if an invited team drops out voluntarily. And even then, the amount of remaining teams would have to be an even number - if it looks like they'll end up with an uneven number of teams, they'll likely just invite somebody from a lower tier to replace one of the declined teams.

Right now, there are three cities that are willing to organize it, in a bubble if need be. So the safe bet is that it will go ahead as scheduled, in two of the three aforementioned cities - the only truly debatable question is if audience will be admitted or not.

Reactions: Faterson

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
I think Slovakia is now closer to organize one of the groups of WC. Our president of Hockey Federation Miro Satan confirmed they started negotiations with IIHF. The chances are IMHO high.
Bratislava has everything needed for such tournament being played in the bubble.. We will see how it ends but hopefully WC will be played this year.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This will only happen if an invited team drops out voluntarily. And even then, the amount of remaining teams would have to be an even number - if it looks like they'll end up with an uneven number of teams, they'll likely just invite somebody from a lower tier to replace one of the declined teams.

Right now, there are three cities that are willing to organize it, in a bubble if need be. So the safe bet is that it will go ahead as scheduled, in two of the three aforementioned cities - the only truly debatable question is if audience will be admitted or not.

Team B participation is up in the air. The fact the divisions that play to decide promotion are not being played helps team GB. Not many team GB players are playing right now

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Also it may not be it's normal size
I can almost guarantee they won't be cutting the number of participating teams, unless teams decide to drop out on their own volition - or something freaky happens and the pandemic takes a drastic turn for the worse. Why am I so certain? Because they already ran a tournament in a bubble - the U20 Championship. It was 10 teams (in two groups), all in a single city and in a single arena - and everything went off more or less without a hitch. Even if they now have 16 teams, some of the things should actually be even easier, since it's just eight teams per city.

And while I don't expect the pandemic to be completely over in late May, the odds are it won't at least get worse, given how we now have an effective vaccine that's being rolled out. Of course, something unexpected may happen, like a new strain popping up that's resistant to the vaccine. But as long as things go roughly in the direction they're predicted to go, the most uncertain question is if it's safe enough to have fans in the arena.

Reactions: KTl and Jussi

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Allegedly Latvian government has expressed preparedness to provide additional financial support (no official, public decisions available yet), if Riga is the only host, up to EUR 3m in addition to the EUR 1.3m already aligned in spring 2020. The additional financing would be available for adjusting Olimpiskais sporta centrs (multi-purpose sports facility right next to Arena Riga) as the second game rink, however, would not cover additional costs due to missed revenue.

Total budget for Riga to host the entire championship, without spectators, is currently estimated at around EUR 15m. They currently see that 65% of it should be covered by IIHF, and Fasel has expressed that IIHF is ready to speak about 'compensating losses'.

It seems that from the financial perspective IIHF sees Riga/Bratislava as the most viable option. In such a case, though, Latvian side has applied to host semis and finals, which were previously scheduled for Minsk.

Latvija gatava rīkot visu pasaules čempionātu, ja izmaksas dala ar Starptautisko hokeja federāciju

Reactions: Exarz

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Rumors are that Bratislava was approved by IIHF, waiting for official news.

This wouldn't surprise me. Slovakia is generally much cheaper than Denmark, Bratislava has more accommodations than Herning, and it's much closer to a major airport. No disrespect meant to the Danes. They did an amazing job hosting in 2018, but Herning is pretty well off the beaten path.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Rene Fasel: Kevään MM-jääkiekko pyritään pelaamaan yhdessä maassa

Here's the latest: Fasel says that the aim is now to have a single country hosting all 16 teams. The options are still either Latvia, Slovakia, or Denmark. According to him, the biggest thing that matters is having two suitable venues relatively close to each other. This apparently makes Riga somewhat problematic, as they'd have to somehow come up with some temporary arena in a short notice. They're looking to make the final decision the next week.

What he doesn't say is why they're now looking at only a single host country, but if I have to guess, it probably has something to do with potential troubles in crossing borders. There's no telling what kind of quarantine orders individual countries may have in place then. I admit I didn't really consider it earlier, but I suppose it could kinda put a kink on things if the tournament has to be halted because the local government orders half of the medal round teams to sit in their hotel rooms for two weeks.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Rene Fasel: Kevään MM-jääkiekko pyritään pelaamaan yhdessä maassa

Here's the latest: Fasel says that the aim is now to have a single country hosting all 16 teams. The options are still either Latvia, Slovakia, or Denmark. According to him, the biggest thing that matters is having two suitable venues relatively close to each other. This apparently makes Riga somewhat problematic, as they'd have to somehow come up with some temporary arena in a short notice. They're looking to make the final decision the next week.

What he doesn't say is why they're now looking at only a single host country, but if I have to guess, it probably has something to do with potential troubles in crossing borders. There's no telling what kind of quarantine orders individual countries may have in place then. I admit I didn't really consider it earlier, but I suppose it could kinda put a kink on things if the tournament has to be halted because the local government orders half of the medal round teams to sit in their hotel rooms for two weeks.

So, Bratislava it is. Bratislava makes a lot of sense given the options put forth.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Apparently Latvian federation believes/has sources telling that IIHF was close to choosing Riga yesterday. Tomorrow IIHF delegation is coming to Riga to 'clarify few technical details, before they can make a final decision'.

P.S. As to Fasel's remarks about Riga being problematic due to the second rink, it has already been sorted. Government is expected to agree to cover the costs of converting Olimpiskais sporta centrs, which is right across the street from Arena Riga, as a second rink.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
That's the excuse companies like Twitter and Facebook use, too.
There's excuse, and there's "Terms of Service" (you agree to, to use the product).

This isn't really rocket science. Don't like it, don't use it. Breach the ToS, get kicked out. Simples.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Likely so. Optimistic scenario - government would decide two weeks before puck drop to allow in 1000 people (like in September's KHL games in Riga). But that would essentially mean only locals attending.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad