Riga sole host for 2021 world championships (Mod warning in post #204)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Over the weekend Skoda dropped out of a very rich sponsorship deal and nivea was about to pull the plug as well

IIHF - IIHF to move 2021 World Championship

NO POLITICS TALK

Even with this move, there is doubt the games will go ahead.

It will be interesting to see just what happens. The Scandinavian countries made their stand on the subject in December.

By losing at least 2 of their biggest sponsors this now hits the IIHF pocket book and the viability of the games being run without fans

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Good. And expected. I assume multiple competing nations would have dropped out anyway, on top of the sponsors.

It's not an important tournament to hold this year, with so many issues besides Belorussian politics, so cancelling the whole thing would be a reasonable thing to do. But I bet they want to go ahead and collect whatever money they can from the sponsors. So Latvia and... ? Or just Latvia and Latvia. Single country makes the most sense due to travel and covid bubble. Is Latvia able to host all the games?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I doubt that there will be major sponsorship changes now that the situation has been resolved according to their wishes.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
I hope I am allowed to say the correct decision was made. I hope the tournament still goes ahead with some other arrangements, maybe even in a bubble. Latvia, Denmark and Slovakia are all good options. I'd watch for sure just like I watched the WJC.

Also to the OP, Skoda and Nivea said they're out if this is held in Belarus, not that they're out in any case.

Reactions: mattihp

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I hope I am allowed to say the correct decision was made. I hope the tournament still goes ahead with some other arrangements, maybe even in a bubble. Latvia, Denmark and Slovakia are all good options. I'd watch for sure just like I watched the WJC.

Also to the OP, Skoda and Nivea said they're out if this is held in Belarus, not that they're out in any case.

IF the games are moved to Moscow they are still out

Reactions: KTl

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I just hope (Slovak) won't get hosting...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Over the weekend Skoda dropped out of a very rich sponsorship deal and nivea was about to pull the plug as well

NO POLITICS TALK

It will be interesting to see just what happens. The Scandinavian countries made their stand on the subject in December.

By losing at least 2 of their biggest sponsors this now hits the IIHF pocket book and the viability of the games being run without fans

No, the games will be played even without audiences. They're looking at if the football arena in Latvia close by could host the games, so they could create a bubble of sorts. Though I can easily see there being "vaccinated only" attendance being set.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Here are the verified facts as of right now:

-Minsk, Belarus won't be hosting the games. (Source: IIHF)

-The tournament will be played, in a bubble if need be. One of the hosts will be Riga, Latvia, and the other is being decided between Bratislava, Slovakia, and Herning, Denmark. The decision will be made within the next two weeks. (Source: IIHF Vice President Kalervo Kummola in the Finnish TV.)

-The most recent word from the major sponsors Skoda and Nivea is that they would have withdrawn their sponsorship if the games were being hosted by Belarus. They have not, however, issued any statements about about boycotting any other venues. (If somebody has a more recent source stating otherwise, feel free to correct me.) If you ask me, it's pretty safe to say these companies won't have any objections over Latvia and Slovakia/Denmark.

Reactions: CanuckCity and GX

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Good. And expected. I assume multiple competing nations would have dropped out anyway, on top of the sponsors.

It's not an important tournament to hold this year, with so many issues besides Belorussian politics, so cancelling the whole thing would be a reasonable thing to do. But I bet they want to go ahead and collect whatever money they can from the sponsors. So Latvia and... ? Or just Latvia and Latvia. Single country makes the most sense due to travel and covid bubble. Is Latvia able to host all the games?

They already cancelled the 2020 work championships, so I douvt they will want to do it a second year in a row. It's the biggest event the IIHF hosts (I don't count the Olympics here), and makes the federation a ton of money.

Latvia is still a co-host, so they may move it all there or add another co-host.

Reactions: KTl

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
Nice to know that international hockey is wholly owned by corporations.

Don't think that was the case. The way the contracts are usually written all sponsors would probably have to pay major penalties to break the contracts unless Fasel has poorly written sponsorship contracts. This is the case of a pure political pressure and Fasel didn't want to become the next Sepp Blatter.

Reactions: Zuluss

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021

NO POLITICS TALK

Well done Skoda.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So is Latvia getting the all of the games or does Russia get the other city? Moscow or St. Petersburg make sense if all the games aren’t in Latvia.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Korvaava MM-kisaisäntä valitaan kahden maan välillä − Kummola: "Tämän päivän kokouksessa Fasel tiesi, että on käytännössä yksin tässä" - MAAJOUKKUE - 18.01.2021 - Uutiset - Jatkoaika.com - Kaikki jääkiekosta

According to Kummola, Fasel was left alone with his opinion. Everyone else at the IIHF meeting was in favor of moving the tournament. Also, they hadn't gotten any official figures of the Covid situation in Belarus. The new host options in addition to Latvia are Bratislava, Slovakia and Herning, Denmark.

Reactions: KTl and snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Korvaava MM-kisaisäntä valitaan kahden maan välillä − Kummola: "Tämän päivän kokouksessa Fasel tiesi, että on käytännössä yksin tässä" - MAAJOUKKUE - 18.01.2021 - Uutiset - Jatkoaika.com - Kaikki jääkiekosta

According to Kummola, Fasel was left alone with his opinion. Everyone else at the IIHF meeting was in favor of moving the tournament. Also, they hadn't gotten any official figures of the Covid situation in Belarus. The new host options in addition to Latvia are Bratislava, Slovakia and Herning, Denmark.

Thanks for the translation.

Did the article indicate which city is more likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad