News Article: Rielly was missed. Best transition defenseman in league this year!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly can fly. We missed him a ton. His game really improved this year. I saw tons of learning going on. Next year is his year. He will be back on PP1 and will put up mega points and more importantly he has learned to go get pucks without going down on aggressive attacks. I think maybe even a guy like Holl on defensive zone coverage (assuming he advances a little more) can at least pair with him.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Can Rielly play ice hockey this season again what does y'all think? What are the odds on that there sire?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Can Rielly play ice hockey this season again what does y'all think? What are the odds on that there sire?
If this thing comes around and gets a lower health threat for everyone, it will be the rest of the regular season lost and right in to playoffs based on points % is my thinking.

So yeah he will play and play fresh. It will be the first time we get to ice a ideal lineup ( except zjohnsson)actually with Mikheyev and and Muzzin back healthy.

With Keefe’s system well known, Freddy back comfortable and healthy and the progression that could follow in chemistry and transition game to help our overall game, we could get to see this team soar.

Man Morgs just turned 26! He is just entering his prime for defensemen. He is so good when he is fired up. So i hope we see him because teams are going to have their hands full with us if we do;)

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Rielly is my favorite player and has been since his draft.

He looked off defensively this year so hopefully his time off has him back on his game again when (if) the season starts up again

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

He looked off defensively this year so hopefully his time off has him back on his game again when (if) the season starts up again
He was injured with nagging injuries he reported himself. This shutdown is great for him and likely Tavares too. I think us injury free is a different beast. Hope so anyways

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
If this thing comes around and gets a lower health threat for everyone, it will be the rest of the regular season lost and right in to playoffs based on points % is my thinking.

So yeah he will play and play fresh. It will be the first time we get to ice a ideal lineup ( except zjohnsson)actually with Mikheyev and and Muzzin back healthy.

With Keefe’s system well known, Freddy back comfortable and healthy and the progression that could follow in chemistry and transition game to help our overall game, we could get to see this team soar.

Man Morgs just turned 26! He is just entering his prime for defensemen. He is so good when he is fired up. So i hope we see him because teams are going to have their hands full with us if we do;)
I agree sire, but I would use the word thang during this thing more than yours word "thing" sire.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

I actually think they should have given the C to Morgan. He was home grown and has been a leader by example. It’s too bad the TML brass didn’t make that choice.

He unfortunately was saddled both Ceci and Barrie, neither are ideal to complement his style. We really need to find a player to play along side him this upcoming season.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I never understood the Hainsey hate, especially after his last 2 seasons with the team. Yeah, of course Reilly is great but as has been already mentioned, injuries aside, look who he's been playing with all year. Hainsey's biggest issue was age. Beyond that he defined the role as a "stay-at-home" defenseman for this team. I bet you Ron Hainsey has no issues self-isolating during these times. :sarcasm:

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I actually think they should have given the C to Morgan. He was home grown and has been a leader by example. It’s too bad the TML brass didn’t make that choice.

He unfortunately was saddled both Ceci and Barrie, neither are ideal to complement his style. We really need to find a player to play along side him this upcoming season.

Auston was my first choice but I wouldn't have made a peep if Reilly was selected. I would've liked either for what they would offer in their own unique ways.

Tavares was the safe, boring and in some ways pandering choice that to me just goes in the exact opposite direction of they way this team is built and Dubas' philosophy. Obviously Babs played a major role in that decision and I believe it was the incorrect one.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
What was interesting from a lesser known perspective was Weegar and Parayko.

Good to see how well Reilly was rated though of course.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I never understood the Hainsey hate, especially after his last 2 seasons with the team. Yeah, of course Reilly is great but as has been already mentioned, injuries aside, look who he's been playing with all year. Hainsey's biggest issue was age. Beyond that he defined the role as a "stay-at-home" defenseman for this team. I bet you Ron Hainsey has no issues self-isolating during these times. :sarcasm:
Muh youth.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Rielly at 1st, and Muzzin at 24th. Super important to have these guys on the back-end to move the puck up to our forwards, otherwise the offense takes a minor hit. Losing Rielly never really hurt us in our own zone without the puck, but the problem was that it kept us in there longer without as good of a breakout. Absolutely a great player, too bad we missed out on getting him back for more than 1 game.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
And that's with carrying an injury all year.

We played sub 500 hockey 11W 12L without Rielly.

With him all year we cruise into the playoffs no doubt.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm sure they would love to read about how amazing Rielly is on the main boards. Oiler fans especially.
Could care less what they think. I like it when they don’t have a clue of our team’s potential actually. It was hockey news too, which was great.

I only go on this board. They aren’t good enough for me over there. “Those people” are beneath me ha ;)

Reactions: Eric bungay

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Me too, although if I were Florida, he'd be very high on the list of players that need to be resigned. He was partnered with Ekblad on the 1st pairing.

It will be interesting to see what they choose to do this offseason... between lost revenues, and allegedly wanting to cut budget, they might be moving some bodies. He's not one of their more expensive pieces, though his contract expires (RFA).

Reactions: KeonHorton

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
He was injured with nagging injuries he reported himself. This shutdown is great for him and likely Tavares too. I think us injury free is a different beast. Hope so anyways
Nah. Marner is still gonna be a complete energy draining POS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad