Rielly vs Nylander

Rielly or Nylander

• Total voters

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Diferent questions, but typically they're not mutually exclusive.

Why wouldn't you want the player that will have the better NHL career?

Because "better" is often subjective, and its hard to compare Dmen to wingers.

Has Doughty had a better career then Ovechkin?

Rielly is our undisputed #1 dman, and looks to be for the foreseeable future. Willy will likely never be better then our 2nd best winger but will likely have seasons of greater then 80 points. In a vacuum hes probably better but to this team Rielly is vastly more important because we have no one else. If we offered San Jose one of them I think they pick Willy without hesitation.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's difficult to compare forwards with d-men. I'd argue Rielly is our best on D and Nylander isn't our best at F, but that'd be comparing Rielly to the rest of the d-men and Nylander to the rest of the forwards. A further problem is that a team's second (or third, or...) best player at one position can be better than their best option at another position. It's an interesting question that's tough to answer.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Because "better" is often subjective, and its hard to compare Dmen to wingers.

Has Doughty had a better career then Ovechkin?

Rielly is our undisputed #1 dman, and looks to be for the foreseeable future. Willy will likely never be better then our 2nd best winger but will likely have seasons of greater then 80 points. In a vacuum hes probably better but to this team Rielly is vastly more important because we have no one else. If we offered San Jose one of them I think they pick Willy without hesitation.

I can see how you came to the conclusion, but the poll / question wasn't who would you rather have on the 2018 Maple Leafs.... just a simple open ended question of 'Who would you rather have?' or 'Who do you like better'?

It's difficult to compare forwards with d-men. I'd argue Rielly is our best on D and Nylander isn't our best at F, but that'd be comparing Rielly to the rest of the d-men and Nylander to the rest of the forwards. A further problem is that a team's second (or third, or...) best player at one position can be better than their best option at another position. It's an interesting question that's tough to answer.

Thats kind of why I thought it would be an interesting poll... but it seems like many folks here don't like player comparison polls...

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I know I've been told "we have 3 apologists" on staff!! But these are the exact choices we are now left with after the Marleau deal...

We will need to cut back somewhere. (And it can't be Marleau..)

Don't say it's unrelated.

Rather, say you want to dump Nylander for picks,,, because we are currently frustrated with him. Say that Reilly is the obvious choice. Just don't pretend we can have everyone. All because some hopped-up red-bull-infused combination of LouLam and MikeyBabs got over-excited and threw the extra 20190-2020 year at a 40 year old winger. Who is redundant.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Rielly is more important than marner, its not in question Dman always is more important than winger
G,D,C,W maybe C then D that's the order, its a silly premise Rielly's contract has 0 bearing on nylander's or marner's or even Matthews. It was signed 3 seasons ago and he is a ****ing DMAN
I wouldn't say Dman always is more important than winger but given the lack of defensive depth I would agree Rielly is more important than Marner at this point.

Reactions: Walshy7

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I wouldn't say Dman always is more important than winger but given the lack of defensive depth I would agree Rielly is more important than Marner at this point.

Yeah shouldn’t of said d > w, but #1d always more important than #1w marner is more valuable than all our other dmen though

Last edited:
Reactions: Notsince67

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Reilly is way overrated around here. In the d zone and neutral zone he's fantastic, but once he gets over the blue line he's downright clueless when it comes to creating a goal. Watch him skate the puck out of his own zone like a bat out of hell, blaze through the neutral zone to gain the line, then look for the closest blue jersey to pass to or he drills a low percentage short into the goalies chest protector. Zero vision, zero creativity, but probably one of the best skaters in the league with the puck. I take Willy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->