Injury Report: Rielly to IR

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Reilly on IR...Valiev recalled. I assume retro to saturdays game. So should be back after allstar game.

This is the scenario I feared. Losing 1 of our top D before we had made a trade. Say Reilly isnt back after allstar weekend we would then be a lot more desperate to aquire a D..thusly other GMs will know they can raise the price slightly. We already have zaits out till mid feb. Imagine Hainsey gets hurt this week. Something tells me we may well see a deal this week/weekend.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Borgman is that guy. Let him play and learn.

I think Borgman has much higher upside than Polak.

Polak is an okay hitter and decent skater, but Borgman I think is more a Kronwall type hitter, skates well, and can carry the puck.

If they move on from Gardiner, Dermott and Borgman could be 2nd. and 3rd. pairing on the left, with Zaitsev, Liljegren and ? on the right.

Reactions: hullsy47

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Reilly on IR...Valiev recalled. I assume retro to saturdays game. So should be back after allstar game.

This is the scenario I feared. Losing 1 of our top D before we had made a trade. Say Reilly isnt back after allstar weekend we would then be a lot more desperate to aquire a D..thusly other GMs will know they can raise the price slightly. We already have zaits out till mid feb. Imagine Hainsey gets hurt this week. Something tells me we may well see a deal this week/weekend.

I do not think you'd see a desperation move. The Leafs still have some good performing defensemen in the wings on the Marlies.

I think you'd see them move depth from up front, like a Rychel, for an equivalent defenseman at best.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Valiev being recalled definitely means we have moved in from Marincin on the big club.

Not necessarily. Just needed to have someone sit in the press box and why not give a guy on a hot streak a chance in the NHL?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Should've recalled Liljegren. And no, I don't care if he's only 18.

He's hurt.

And to sit in the press box? I guess you could put him with Dermott and make it the AHL top pairing and sit Carrick, but I think that's a lot for him to handle.

And before you say Polak, we'd have literally have Hainsey as our only legit and proven PKer. Gardiner on the PK is already risky, and one of those young guys is getting thrown into the deep end as it is.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We gave up on Valiev?

I did. Well I did not see much in him in the first place, but his last 10 or so games have been impressive. However the 60 games before that were not great though.

His IQ has never impressed me much. Kind of like the Marlie version of Gardiner but not nearly as talented.

Maybe he can show something. He has a shot, and if he can do something with it, that could make some depth guys (i.e. Carrick) more expendable even if we are competing.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
He's hurt.

And to sit in the press box? I guess you could put him with Dermott and make it the AHL top pairing and sit Carrick, but I think that's a lot for him to handle.

And before you say Polak, we'd have literally have Hainsey as our only legit and proven PKer. Gardiner on the PK is already risky, and one of those young guys is getting thrown into the deep end as it is.
Sheesh he's hurt again? Did he not just start playing again since he got back from the WJC? Hope this doesn't become a common occurrence with the kid.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He played last nite. Why spread fake news.

I thought he was still hurt? Did not watch the game last night.

May also be the reason they did not want him to play... He's coming off of an injury and would have to play his first NHL game with very little support coming off of a back to back.

Not worth it. The Leafs have good enough defensemen in the lineup and in reserve to not have to risk Liljegren.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
My thinking is that the kids need limited minutes to ease them in and to be sat ince in a while. It's the ONLY reason Polak is still the NHL.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
You misunderstood. I meant this; its obvious we need help on D already IF Reillys injury is more longterm then it somewhat forces our hand. Who you are talking about on the Marlies is beyond me...besides Timmy but he isnt ready yet. Rosen is a giveaway expert..still shoots and misses way wide 90% of the time.

Im not saying we go and make a top 4 D move..infact Id like another Hainsey type. Maybe Johnson from CBJ? Only issue is he shoots L. Anyway ya

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Silver lining. Do the z and rielly injuries
Help our cap at all? With bonus overages etc for next year? Z has missed what 15 games? That has to be like a million in savings no?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Silver lining. Do the z and rielly injuries
Help our cap at all? With bonus overages etc for next year? Z has missed what 15 games? That has to be like a million in savings no?
I don't know about that but with Auston Matthews going to the All Star Game again, he gets a bonus in his contract that effects the cap for next year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
My thinking is that the kids need limited minutes to ease them in and to be sat ince in a while. It's the ONLY reason Polak is still the NHL.

Believe it or not, the Leafs actually have a decent record when Polak plays more than garbage minutes in a game.

Especially when you consider a lot of those games came without Zaitsev and Matthews in the lineup.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Should've recalled Liljegren. And no, I don't care if he's only 18.

you may not care, but i think the organization has pretty much been consistent with the fact that they aren't going to rush people up here without cause. there are a few other people they should see before Liljergren. if anything to see who to let go from

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad