Injury Report: Rielly to IR

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Another night we get to see how important and good Jake Gardiner actually is.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yes, both are tough players and will be good Leafs for a long time but I don't think you want to put them in that role just yet. Polak can have it for now then leave.

I've always believed that Teams need role players, many Teams have them in various sports. They aren't always the best player but for some reason they help the Team click. Alternatively some Teams get better when "better" players are shipped out, Colorado is a good example.

Here's a conspiracy theory for you.
If Polak wasn't being dressed, who would be the whipping boy? Perhaps that's why he plays.

I have no issue with Polak as a depth guy and replacement PK guy who dresses when a primary guy is out (like Zaitsev, so we'll see what happens when he returns). Effective bench guys are necessary and I agree that there's a variety of situations to have them, like I wouldn't want to go into a playoff series without a Martin type just yet

personally I think Colorado got out from under an overhyped guy, and really took a step forward because their young star(s) picked it up, MacKinnon has been a man possessed this year and Rantanen isn't far behind, where I think this debate is closer to who should play between Nemeth and Bigras

I think there's lots of whipping boy candidates here still, and Polak hasn't gotten all of it this year either: Martin, Bozak, Komarov are the primaries other than Polak to me. Agree that we tend to be hard on players though, but this franchise has earned some criticism too

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have no issue with Polak as a depth guy and replacement PK guy who dresses when a primary guy is out (like Zaitsev, so we'll see what happens when he returns). Effective bench guys are necessary and I agree that there's a variety of situations to have them, like I wouldn't want to go into a playoff series without a Martin type just yet

personally I think Colorado got out from under an overhyped guy, and really took a step forward because their young star(s) picked it up, MacKinnon has been a man possessed this year and Rantanen isn't far behind, where I think this debate is closer to who should play between Nemeth and Bigras

I think there's lots of whipping boy candidates here still, and Polak hasn't gotten all of it this year either: Martin, Bozak, Komarov are the primaries other than Polak to me. Agree that we tend to be hard on players though, but this franchise has earned some criticism too
Better any of those players take the heat than the young guys, IMO.

As long as I can remember there is always 1 defenseman that the fans rag on, better Polak than Dermott/Borgman, IMO.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Better any of those players take the heat than the young guys, IMO.

As long as I can remember there is always 1 defenseman that the fans rag on, better Polak than Dermott/Borgman, IMO.
that's fair, I'd prefer that as well, but I think the young guy's play could merit them not taking the heat - and if not they would/should come out of the lineup. If Polak is a fill in for Zaitsev or a heat shield for the kids, that's fine I guess

for as long as I can remember, we've had a defenseman worth ragging on too. Larry Murphy was the one who probably didn't deserve it, but we've taken our lumps on D

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
that's fair, I'd prefer that as well, but I think the young guy's play could merit them not taking the heat - and if not they would/should come out of the lineup. If Polak is a fill in for Zaitsev or a heat shield for the kids, that's fine I guess

for as long as I can remember, we've had a defenseman worth ragging on too. Larry Murphy was the one who probably didn't deserve it, but we've taken our lumps on D
Always been the case. Berg didn't deserve it either but there always has to be one.
IMO, Leaf fans(for the most) have always had unreal expectations of bottom pair players.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Always been the case. Berg didn't deserve it either but there always has to be one.
IMO, Leaf fans(for the most) have always had unreal expectations of bottom pair players.
that's probably true, I think we don't see the warts of similar guys in other markets too. We might be in a situation soon that we have more than 4 guys who are worthy of the "top 4" moniker so it would be nice to know what we have sooner rather than later

Berg was bad, but I think our expectations were high based on where he was drafted and he obviously fell a long way short. We probably overpaid a bit for him too

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
that's probably true, I think we don't see the warts of similar guys in other markets too. We might be in a situation soon that we have more than 4 guys who are worthy of the "top 4" moniker so it would be nice to know what we have sooner rather than later

Berg was bad, but I think our expectations were high based on where he was drafted and he obviously fell a long way short. We probably overpaid a bit for him too
Berg was an excellent bottom pair defenseman, IMO.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Berg was an excellent bottom pair defenseman, IMO.
I was young at that point so a lot of what I remember was the lowlights, the media was always on him. He did handle the puck grenadishly, but I'm sure that expectations and being a media scapegoat made it look worse than it really was

Reactions: Shanty

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I was young at that point so a lot of what I remember was the lowlights, the media was always on him. He did handle the puck grenadishly, but I'm sure that expectations and being a media scapegoat made it look worse than it really was
:clap: Healthy response.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If we do actually end up needing another defenseman, would love to see Liljegren get a few games.

Would like to see him over Polak anyways.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
outside of the old school "we need a guy to bust heads and block shots" type fans, I don't think anyone is good with Polak's permanent spot in the lineup, both because he's not as good as guys that are being sat and it sends a very mixed message about the "steal a job" mantra that Babcock keeps spouting

I'll go ahead and say I absolutely believe we need what Polak brings. But I'll also say he can't be the guy to bring it, and we're better off without it if he's the only option.

Reactions: dsred

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Hopefully nothing too serious. 7-10 day type of thing.

Hopefully it's that .. Shut him down until after the all star-break and use his roster spot to recall a Marlies player as they're heading out on the road for a couple of games and it's good to carry that depth.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Hopefully it's that .. Shut him down until after the all star-break and use his roster spot to recall a Marlies player as they're heading out on the road for a couple of games and it's good to carry that depth.

Who would they bring up? Can't imagine Liljegren, and I think he's hurt again anyway. Nielsen doesn't give them what they need.

Holl I guess?

Edit: forgot Marincin, obviously him.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'll go ahead and say I absolutely believe we need what Polak brings. But I'll also say he can't be the guy to bring it, and we're better off without it if he's the only option.
I agree to a point, need some guys who can be physical buy I think we both agree it should be from someone who's better than polak

Dermott and Borgman have some of that, and maybe they should be sheltered from having to fill those shoes this year but I'd like to see them get a chance in lower leverage situations until they prove they can or can't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->