Value of: Rielly Smith at the deadline.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'd take a 3rd and an expiring contract. Think he's a decent player on the right team but not on the Pens.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take a 3rd and an expiring contract. Think he's a decent player on the right team but not on the Pens.

It's been genuinely surprising to me, how much it hasn't worked out with him on the Penguins. I thought it was a great pickup and expected him to really keep carrying on as a very solid Top-6 Winger there. Even seemed like it was off to a pretty decent start initially. But man it's taken a turn. Weird.

If he didn't have that extra year, i'd bet there would still be a bunch of teams really interested. But the extra year at $5M just makes it a bit too risky for most teams. If he really has hit an age wall. I don't think he has, but it's not looking good at the moment. He has also had some real up and down years over his career too though, so it really wouldn't surprise me to see him completely bounce back to 50-60pts next year in a different situation that fits him better for whatever reason.

I'd love to gamble on him with the Canucks to fill things out as that last Top-6 piece. But $5M next year is just too much of a liability with all of the other things currently hanging in the air cap-wise.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
It's been genuinely surprising to me, how much it hasn't worked out with him on the Penguins. I thought it was a great pickup and expected him to really keep carrying on as a very solid Top-6 Winger there. Even seemed like it was off to a pretty decent start initially. But man it's taken a turn. Weird.

If he didn't have that extra year, i'd bet there would still be a bunch of teams really interested. But the extra year at $5M just makes it a bit too risky for most teams. If he really has hit an age wall. I don't think he has, but it's not looking good at the moment. He has also had some real up and down years over his career too though, so it really wouldn't surprise me to see him completely bounce back to 50-60pts next year in a different situation that fits him better for whatever reason.

I'd love to gamble on him with the Canucks to fill things out as that last Top-6 piece. But $5M next year is just too much of a liability with all of the other things currently hanging in the air cap-wise.

not a bad choice. what would the pens want? a player with 2 yrs left 1 for 1 deal?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder if he could take Pearson's spot on the Habs next season. Pittsburgh and Montreal have made a few trades recently, so there is a history. I just can't see Montreal giving up much of anything for a warm body next season.

Maybe for Allen? Gives Pittsburgh a backup for next season while saving 1M in cap.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
he has 4.93 left with a year left. doable trade if it were to happen.
Personally I'd consider this but with the extra year, Nucks would have to sweeten the pot.
I doubt Dubas would be interested though, so probably a moot point.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Nobody knows if Pens are sellers or buyers. Probably not even Dubas. They might not make the playoffs and still be buyers.

Last edited:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

He's clearly not having a great season but he's still pacing for a 40 point season so it isn't like he's a lost cause. His main problem is the construction of the Pens top 6. Rust, Rakell and Smith are all very similar (i.e. decent offensively 50-60 point wingers who don't have a stand out skill and don't bring much toughness.) If he was paired with Malkin and a top 6 guy who mucked and grinded then I think you'd see better results.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think something like Foegele+2nd for Smith would be reasonable or other similar comparisons. I could even see something like Domi+2nd if the Leafs wanted the upgrade.

He's an all-purpose LW with significant playoff experience. I think being moved to a playoff team would really reinvigorate him.

That said, if a team was willing to take him on full on, I think a 3rd would get it done. Then the Penguins could weaponize the extra $5mil in cap space. They could retain on someone or take an expiring contract for another pick.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada

Smith was a very streaky player for Vegas, disappearing for weeks but then suddenly showing up in big games and in the playoffs. He is one of those odd players who can be consistently ice cold against the bottom feeders, but then light up the scoreboard against the top teams. Vegas would love to take him back for the playoffs, but not enough cap space and I get the feeling that McCrimmon is going to make some other move at the TDL that will eat up any spare cap.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I think something like Foegele+2nd for Smith would be reasonable or other similar comparisons. I could even see something like Domi+2nd if the Leafs wanted the upgrade.

He's an all-purpose LW with significant playoff experience. I think being moved to a playoff team would really reinvigorate him.

That said, if a team was willing to take him on full on, I think a 3rd would get it done. Then the Penguins could weaponize the extra $5mil in cap space. They could retain on someone or take an expiring contract for another pick.
The Oilers do not need another left shot in the line up
Smith 46GP 10G 12A 22Pts 5m Cap Hit
Foegele 52GP 11G 16A 27Pts 2.7m Cap Hit

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The way he plays, once those legs start going, they go pretty fast..

The issue isn’t what he can bring to a playoff team. He’d fit in nicely with many teams, as a role player. It’s that year left on his deal, and he’s losing a step. You’d get the 3rd if he was a UFA this year. No good team is gonna want his contract next year though.

Can they add him into a deal? Yea, probably.

It’s likely the only way they get rid of him, unless it’s a cap dump deal. Even if they retained by himself, don’t think it moves anyone’s needle. But if a team wants someone else, and they say “we’ll trade him to you instead of your competitors, but you have to take Smith at half price?” Then they’d have a chance. Still likely wouldn’t get any added value in return though.

He started losing a step last year and now it shows more and more every month. Even though he scored a couple of big goals in the playoffs last year, his role was reduced big time for Barbashev, and the writing was on the wall.

We’re likely talking about him 12 months from now, as a depth add for someone. Likely for a mid round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad