Rielly ready? Who decides?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rielly-just-enough-watching/

I always thought it was the team's medical staff that tells the coach when the player is ready to return to practicing, games, etc.

Listening to this clip and the one from Tuesday's practice, it's clear this is up to the player. Earlier in the week, Rielly stated it would come down to managing the pain

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/video/morgan-rielly-january-30-2017/t-277437436/c-48906203

, then yesterday he said it depends on how the injury responds after skating on it pre-game.

https://www.nhl.com/mapleleafs/video/morgan-rielly-february-1-2017/t-277437436/c-48973103

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Doctors probably informed them he can't make it worse by playing, now it's up to the player to tolerate it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I assume Babcock and the Leafs mean that if Rielly feels like he's ready, it's his decision. The medical staff doesn't know how much it hurts. Rielly does. If Rielly says he feels good and there's no pain, I'm not sure what a medical staff can do here to block that if the player says he's good?

He's skating in full contact practice, so it's probably just a matter of pain treshold and if he's comfortable enough to play a full game. Since he's a game time decision, it's probably just to see how it he feels a bit after practice.

This is normal practice...

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
The longer the better.

This is a learning year, and this windows gives other players some time to showcase what they got.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The longer the better.

This is a learning year, and this windows gives other players some time to showcase what they got.

Yeah like Marincin... Hunwick... great showcasing stuff there.

So much better this way for SURE.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Yeah like Marincin... Hunwick... great showcasing stuff there.

So much better this way for SURE.

Allowing them the opportunity to drop the ball is fine. So long as the Leafs play meaningful games up until the end of the season, I'm happy.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Allowing them the opportunity to drop the ball is fine. So long as the Leafs play meaningful games up until the end of the season, I'm happy.

Why isn't it important for Rielly to play important games?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I'm absolutely confused by your thoughts. I suspect you are as well.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Why isn't it important for Rielly to play important games?

He's one of your "sure things" for defense. We just signed him long term. With his absence, other players will get a chance to either fail or succeed in roles he would normally be in charge of.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He's one of your "sure things" for defense. We just signed him long term. With his absence, other players will get a chance to either fail or succeed in roles he would normally be in charge of.

That doesn't make any sense.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I don't get your logic, the guys you're talking about all are all known qualities, with the exception of Carrick. I know Gardiner isn't a number one, I know Marincin is a bum and I know Polak can't pass. Reilly out isn't helping me...

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
I'm absolutely confused by your thoughts. I suspect you are as well.

I'm sorry you are probably used to things being explained to you using sock puppets...

"I just want the Leafs to at least be in the playoff race until the very end of the season, Dave!"
sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

"And injuries are not that bad either, right?"
il_570xN.258443227.jpg

"That's correct! This is an evaluation/learning year for Babcock to see what the rookies can do. And Reilly getting injured allows players to challenge themselves in roles that would normally fall to Reilly in somewhat meaningful games. It's a great way for Babcock to evaluate the weaker links in defense!"
sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

"So it's ok we don't make the playoffs?"
il_570xN.258443227.jpg

"Yup! This team isn't ready to challenge for the Stanley Cup. While the experience would be nice for the rookies, it won't make or break their development moving forward."
sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

"Cool!"
il_570xN.258443227.jpg

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Okay that's just really weird. :propeller:propeller
I'm sorry you are probably used to things being explained to you using sock puppets...

"I just want the Leafs to at least be in the playoff race until the very end of the season, Dave!"
sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

il_570xN.258443227.jpg

"That's correct! This is an evaluation/learning year for Babcock to see what the rookies can do. And Reilly getting injured allows players to challenge themselves in roles that would normally fall to Reilly in somewhat meaningful games. It's a great way for Babcock to evaluate the weaker links in defense!"
sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

il_570xN.258443227.jpg

"Yup! This team isn't ready to challenge for the Stanley Cup. While the experience would be nice for the rookies, it won't make or break their development moving forward."
sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

"Cool!"
il_570xN.258443227.jpg

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

il_570xN.258443227.jpg

sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

il_570xN.258443227.jpg

sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

"Cool!"
il_570xN.258443227.jpg

oh man, pass the splif. :bee:

BigTMLfan

Apr 6, 2014
I don't get your logic, the guys you're talking about all are all known qualities, with the exception of Carrick. I know Gardiner isn't a number one, I know Marincin is a bum and I know Polak can't pass. Reilly out isn't helping me...

doesn't sound promising that he will be in tonights lineup after watching his post practice scrum.

I don't expect him to be ready for saturday either.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

il_570xN.258443227.jpg

sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

il_570xN.258443227.jpg

sockpuppet_2328709b.jpg

"Cool!"
il_570xN.258443227.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/WickedAwesomeAnimals/videos/540562249438030/

hope this works. supposed to be a vid of a parrot laughing

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
The player should always decide.

I think every player wants to play. It's their body and livelihood on the line, and if they don't feel ready they shouldn't return. Often players return too early to their own detriment (and that of the team in the long-run).

For Rielly's specific situation, I would hope he and the team air on the side of staying out longer than he needs to, rather than coming back as soon as possible. This is a player we will hopefully be leaning on to play big minutes for the next decade, one or two games is not worth risking his long-term health.

Furthermore, workers in Ontario have the right to refuse work they deem unsafe (which could include coming back too early from an injury): https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/atwork/workplacerights_fs.php

"The right to refuse:

You have the right to refuse unsafe work, including situations where you believe you’re in danger of workplace violence. Your employer cannot fire or discipline you for refusing unsafe work or for asking them to address a health and safety issue. Your employer can’t penalize you for following workplace health and safety laws and for obeying a Ministry of Labour inspector’s order. This would be an unlawful reprisal."

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I think I know why you aren't making sense now. Makes perfect sense.

You said, and I quote:

The longer the better.

Rielly being out the longer, the better is asinine in itself. What a backwards way of thinking.

The injury itself DOES give a chance to other players to play more minutes, but those other players right now are Hunwick and Marincin, which was my next point. There isn't any learning or showcasing there and it just makes us incredibly weaker without purpose. There is no rookies playing in place of Rielly.

I appreciate the effort in trying to salvage your flawed and wrong logic but you really didn't help out your case that makes no sense.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think I know why you aren't making sense now. Makes perfect sense.

You said, and I quote:

Rielly being out the longer, the better is asinine in itself. What a backwards way of thinking.

The injury itself DOES give a chance to other players to play more minutes, but those other players right now are Hunwick and Marincin, which was my next point. There isn't any learning or showcasing there and it just makes us incredibly weaker. There is no rookies playing while Rielly is out.

I appreciate the effort in trying to look smarter than you are with the puppets but you really didn't help out your case that makes no sense.

can we get to page 2 already those stupid sock puppets are obnoxious and anonoying

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I think he came back a bit early just my opinion.

That sock puppet thing had me giggling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad