Prospect Info: Rieger Lorenz C/LW, 56th overall, 2022 NHL Draft

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wild seem to think he'll be a Winger going forward. Wild's main and PR twitter accounts (including a quote from Judd) call him a wing.
To be honest I just assume any forward we take will end up at wing until they prove otherwise anyway. I guess we'll see what Denver does with him next year.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Rieger Lorenz was drafted by the Winnipeg Ice in the 2019 WHL Draft. He was also drafted by the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the 2020 USHL Draft. However, the young forward opted to play for the Okotoks Oilers in the AJHL. By doing so, he has maintained his eligibility to play NCAA Hockey. Lorenz is committed to joining the NCAA Champion University of Denver Pioneers next season.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Interesting that he played for the same team that Holloway was drafted from and had a near identical stat line. Also went ppg at the u-18 while Holloway went 4pts in 7 games. Not that you can really draw too much from this.

Reactions: MNRube

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I like the upside and I like that he's going to Denver. That's a good place to go.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Interesting that he played for the same team that Holloway was drafted from and had a near identical stat line. Also went ppg at the u-18 while Holloway went 4pts in 7 games. Not that you can really draw too much from this.
Holloway did it at a younger age. Holloway wasn't drafted until after his first year at Wisconsin.

Reactions: P10p

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Solid WJCU18 tourney, good size, good skating, great on forecheck. Types of guys that would gel well with Hartman.

But I am always conservative with projections and think he'll realistically develop into a 3rd liner that can move up and down the lineup because of his allround game. I really like him

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
From Wheeler's day 2 recap:

Overtime winners

Minnesota Wild
Day 1 rank: No. 4 (winners)

I was really excited about the Wild’s first round and while I don’t have that same feeling after Day 2 about their selections, they didn’t make a single pick that had me scratching my head, and drafted a bunch of kids that I’ve got time for.

Their best pick of the day, for my money, was Rieger Lorenz at No. 56 (he’s No. 42 on my board). Lorenz is a driven, puck-protection player who wins lanes in possession, forechecks to get it back when he doesn’t have it, gets to high-danger areas (either in control with his soft hands or off the puck to play to the front of the net), and then can finish plays when he’s there with a hard and accurate shot. But he can also play to the perimeter and facilitate (he does a good job identifying and then finding second and third options). He’s not mean, but he already takes what is given (and sometimes what isn’t), plays hard, elevates his linemates, and will continue to fill out his frame. He projects as a middle-six winger.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Watched this shift by shift video and have to say, it was an extremely rough game, not much of any positives to take away about Lorenz in this one, his team was totally outclassed, and he was too. Very ineffective throughout, could just be a tough game and I know nothing about he AJHL, but I don't see a whole lot to like from him off this game alone. Obviously he performs better normally to get his stat line, and those kinds of games happen, Lafreniere had an even worse game than this one right before being drafted at #1. But still, not a lot of good outside of some physical tools, will take some time and good coaching, he was like -6 and earned quite a few of them.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Someone at SBNation in the Canes area posted this about Lorenz:
"Lorenz is a big forward with a lot of strength, but what I’m most impressed with is his skating ability. He’s a quick skater that can bulldoze his way through the neutral zones and create zone entries on his own, which helps create extended zone time. His skating stride is smooth and he can get up to top speed quickly, causing defenses to struggle to keep up with him. I would consider Lorenz’s skating to be his best asset. It’s what helps him create offense and generally be a pest in the offensive zone. Lorenz skates at close to an NHL pace, and with some tweaks to his stride, he’ll be able to keep up at the NHL level with no difficulties. Lorenz’s skating affects every aspect of his game. He’s quick on the forecheck, a pest while backchecking and a dominant player in transition."

Full report here:
Lorenz

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Someone at SBNation in the Canes area posted this about Lorenz:
"Lorenz is a big forward with a lot of strength, but what I’m most impressed with is his skating ability. He’s a quick skater that can bulldoze his way through the neutral zones and create zone entries on his own, which helps create extended zone time. His skating stride is smooth and he can get up to top speed quickly, causing defenses to struggle to keep up with him. I would consider Lorenz’s skating to be his best asset. It’s what helps him create offense and generally be a pest in the offensive zone. Lorenz skates at close to an NHL pace, and with some tweaks to his stride, he’ll be able to keep up at the NHL level with no difficulties. Lorenz’s skating affects every aspect of his game. He’s quick on the forecheck, a pest while backchecking and a dominant player in transition."

Full report here:
Lorenz
The skating comments kind of torpedo my knee-jerk McBain comparison. He'll be an interesting one to watch in college, where he probably won't have the same physical edge.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yes and no.

Obviously good that he has dramatically improved on his prior year numbers. But also, he is the 8th highest scoring forward and is being outscored by 4 defensemen.

Denver just kind of looks to be a bonkers scoring team.

Last edited:
Reactions: BagHead

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yes and no.

Obviously good that he has dramatically improved on his prior year numbers. But also, he is the 8th highest scoring forward and is being outscored by 4 defensemen.

Denver just kind of looks to be bonkers scoring team.
Also not very good at keeping the puck out of their own net. I wonder if they sell out odd man rushes in attempt to generate more offense.

I’d love a Wisconsin vs Denver matchup. Highest scoring team versus least scored upon team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad