Ridiculous goal scored by Geoff Platt of Lokomotiv in the KHL's Gagarin cup

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Might be a bit off topic, but since Platt played several years in Dinamo Minsk, he has a Belarussian passport. He's also classed as a Belarussian player according to the KHL website, but why doesn't he play for their national team? Locked up with Canada?

Dima_BLR

May 13, 2006
Good Old Europe
Might be a bit off topic, but since Platt played several years in Dinamo Minsk, he has a Belarussian passport. He's also classed as a Belarussian player according to the KHL website, but why doesn't he play for their national team? Locked up with Canada?
nope, he has already played a couple of games for team belarus and even scored his debut goal at the EIHC tournament in gdansk, poland.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
nope, he has already played a couple of games for team belarus and even scored his debut goal at the EIHC tournament in gdansk, poland.

Weird, it feels like being a solid KHL player, you should be a candidate to represent your national team (Belarus) in the World Championships?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
According to Eliteprospects he hasn't played a single game for Belarus :shakehead

He only became eligible to play for Belarus in October:

"Based on an IIHF decision dated 2013-10-04 Platt is eligible for the Belarussian national team to compete in IIHF tournaments."

And you were just told that he has already played for them in EIHC tournament in Gdansk.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
He only became eligible to play for Belarus in October:

"Based on an IIHF decision dated 2013-10-04 Platt is eligible for the Belarussian national team to compete in IIHF tournaments."

And you were just told that he has already played for them in EIHC tournament in Gdansk.

I see! I thought he had been a national team player for than that, that's why I was so confused..

I guess he will play this year's World Championship then?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I see! I thought he had been a national team player for than that, that's why I was so confused..

I guess he will play this year's World Championship then?

I believe so yes. He took out Belarussian Citizenship actually in order to qualify to play for their National Team in International Tournaments. In an interview he said that if an NHL team ever did come knocking (he's 28 & thats unlikely) he might jump at the opportunity but that he'd still play for Team Belarus. Played briefly in the NHL, was shipped around in the minors a lot, AHL. Incredible really when you look at that clip. That is some very very serious skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad