News Article: [Ricky Bobby] Ryan’s role in Senators’ Rebuild

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The thing with Ryan is for so many years and for so many games his body language and effort were just horrific. He was sulking and complaining to the refs - he wasn’t hustling on broken plays and was soft as I’ve ever seen an NHL hockey player be.

It got better under Boucher especially after Boucher benched him for 1 game - but still, he never has an impact on the game.

He might be a good interview and a nice guy (or not) - but seeing the effort he out in early here in ottawa, not the type of player I want leading a rebuild.

Basically the best he can do is try and act like a 2nd line RW, maybe do something for the power play, do the odd interview and get out of the way

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The thing with Ryan is for so many years and for so many games his body language and effort were just horrific. He was sulking and complaining to the refs - he wasn’t hustling on broken plays and was soft as I’ve ever seen an NHL hockey player be.

It got better under Boucher especially after Boucher benched him for 1 game - but still, he never has an impact on the game.

He might be a good interview and a nice guy (or not) - but seeing the effort he out in early here in ottawa, not the type of player I want leading a rebuild.

Basically the best he can do is try and act like a 2nd line RW, maybe do something for the power play, do the odd interview and get out of the way
Sulking and whining to refs because of constant slashes to his mitts

Reactions: bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sulking and whining to refs because of constant slashes to his mitts

To be fair, 90% of the guys in the league get whacked in the gloves a dozen times per game. More if you're a top 6 forward. It's part of the territory. He could've been wearing gloves with much better protection during the broken finger years, but chose not to.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Bobby has/had the tools and between injuries and floating around the ice has chosen not to use them.

Sometimes I question his motivation to play, at times you see flashes of his abilities and then they quickly disappear.

I think he could use the summer at the Gary Roberts school of hard knocks to find his game once again.

He may be a nice guy off ice but we don't pay him for that, we pay him for what he does on the ice. If he wants to play soft send him to press box or the AHL.

The money he is getting paid he he should be one of your best players every night or at least be trying to act like it. Have not seen that guy in while. May need to put his face on Milk Carton, have you seen Bobby Ryan missing for 2 years, last seen in 2017 playoffs.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Would rather Bobby be gone, obviously, to help the teams finances. As it stands, I'm fine with Ryan here. I like him as a person (not going to get into his political views or anything like that, is what it is and I know nothing of him personally) and he has been nothing but a good guy here in Ottawa.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
From the snippets I hear he's a really good dude, but not the type of guy who should be viewed as a leader. I'm a little worried that because of the lack of veterans options on this team that he's going to end up as a defacto leader when the guy is probably better served focusing on his own game. Would prefer if he was gone, but given that he's the guy this team is (the most) stuck with it would be nice if DJS could find him a consistent spot in this lineup where he can provide offence without being relied upon to do much else. I think he could carve out a nice role in a less than ideal situation.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Bobby's always had a really good attitude in Ottawa, and gives pretty transparent interviews. He'll be good to have as the rebuild goes on.

This has to be sarcasm right?

Kovalev has the work ethic of Daniel Alfredsson compared to Bobby Ryan.

One of the biggest if not the biggest floater I have ever seen play for the senators. How is that good to have for a rebuild? When the highest paid player on the roster and a veteran basically mails it in every shift?

Reactions: JungleBeat

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Don't like ryan and would prefer if he wasn't on the team. I do not agree with his political views, but that doesn't really factor into my dislike because otherwise there wouldn't be many sens players that i could like.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
IMO... if bobby was such a floater as people say he would have been scratched a long time ago.

Maybe is one of those guys that looks like he doesn’t give a shit, but actually works harder than we think.

We are stuck with him.

He has flashes of old bobby, sometimes ...and beat up EKs best friend last year.

As long as he is not a negative influence in the kids, we be okay.

Reactions: pzeeman and bert

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
One of the laziest and most out of shape players to ever play on the Sens. I’d take 40 year old retired Neil over him any day.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
IMO... if bobby was such a floater as people say he would have been scratched a long time ago.

Maybe is one of those guys that looks like he doesn’t give a ****, but actually works harder than we think.

We are stuck with him.

He has flashes of old bobby, sometimes ...and beat up EKs best friend last year.

As long as he is not a negative influence in the kids, we be okay.

Lol it's because he has a 7 mill salary. Melnyk would have an aneurysm if he found out he was paying a 7 mill player to be a healthy scratch.

He's a trash player and a lot of it is because he just doesn't give a shit. He has his money and pride at being a competitor isn't something he owns.

Burke had it right. One of the softest most pathetic players to have ever laced them up for the senators.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If memory serves me correctly the vast majority of this board were very happy when BM made the trade to bring Ryan to Ottawa & most again wanted him signed to a long term contract. Since then the injuries have caught up to him & now that the team needs him to earn his contract he's to old & beat up to play the same game. He's always had a number of shifts every game where he kind of mails it in, but he has some skill & is a decent playmaker & IMO would fit with Tkachuk & White next yr.

Reactions: Samboni

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If memory serves me correctly the vast majority of this board were very happy when BM made the trade to bring Ryan to Ottawa & most again wanted him signed to a long term contract. Since then the injuries have caught up to him & now that the team needs him to earn his contract he's to old & beat up to play the same game. He's always had a number of shifts every game where he kind of mails it in, but he has some skill & is a decent playmaker & IMO would fit with Tkachuk & White next yr.

Yup, some people like to slag away all day long. Same who complained about Spezza, Alfie, and others. Imagine we signed EK again and he no longer skated like he did when he was 26... the insanity.

It is funny how there are always a couple of players that are demonized for this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's just logic man. No way Melnyk let's a guy he's paying 7 mill be a healthy scratch.
It's not logic, it's arguing that Melnyk will let emotion overrule rational decision making. His salary is a sunk cost. As crazy as Melnyk is i doubt he would veto a coaches roster decision when it doesn't impact cash flow in any way.

The reality is as bad as Ryan has been he has always been better than our 13th forward option.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I hope he can convert some passes and give Brown or who ever he ends up playing with some development opportunities. He still has a decent shot and he is a big body. I think he works harder than most give him credit for.

There isn’t much else we can go with him.

I always thought his shot was one of the worst on the team. It has no power on it and you see him flexing his stick for a full second before he releases which mean no element of surprise either.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He's here because he's untradable and there's no motivation to move him with retention, so there's really not much else to the situation other than waiting for the expiry date.

He comes off as a nice guy in interviews, has experience, and can hold down a roster spot, but I no longer have any illusions that he's capable of more than we've seen and am not going to pretend he will contribute much value on the ice, just like the rest of the vets not named Pageau.

As far as criticism goes, I think a pro athlete making over 7 mil a year that puts up 15 goals and 40 points IF everything goes right, is very deserving of it and its the fans right. It's just the price you pay to live the life. Don't like it? Retirement is an option.

Even pageau worries me. Hasn't his production gone down several years in a row?

43 in 82
33 in 82
29 in 78
12 in 39

His production is steadily and linearly going down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->