News Article: [Ricky Bobby] Ryan’s role in Senators’ Rebuild

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The 2017-18 and 2018-19 NHL seasons were a disaster for the Ottawa Senators. After reaching the conference finals in the 2016-17 NHL Playoffs, the Senators found themselves near or at the bottom of the standings in the following two seasons. Over the course of the last two seasons, their general manager, Pierre Dorion, shipped out the bulk of their veteran players. However, through all of the team’s trades, and their transition from contender to rebuilder, one well-known veteran remains a Senator, Bobby Ryan.

https://thehockeywriters.com/bobby-ryan-role-ottawa-senators-rebuild/

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I hope he can convert some passes and give Brown or who ever he ends up playing with some development opportunities. He still has a decent shot and he is a big body. I think he works harder than most give him credit for.

There isn’t much else we can go with him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He's here to help the team hit the cap floor first and foremost. Any production we get out of him (above 40 points in a season) will be a bonus.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
As most are thinking, does it really matter???Ryan is at least a solid citizen and the kids can easily get along with him...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bobby's always had a really good attitude in Ottawa, and gives pretty transparent interviews. He'll be good to have as the rebuild goes on.

This is lost on our wannabe GMs.

If someone is overpaid and has holes in their game, they are garbage worthy of all the scorn they can muster.

What is a team? It is a sum of excel spreadsheets cells! HAVE AT YOU!

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
His role is that there is probably mutual interest in parting ways, but it's unlikely to happen due to his contract, so both sides have to make the best of it.

He's one of our most skilled wingers, but he's a scoring middle 6er at this point. He'll play as a complimentary guy in our top 6 as a consequence of our poor depth and probably put up 35-45 points.

It's a big positive that he went healthy almost the entire season after being hurt for a majority of the previous two.

I can't comment on his leadership or personality in the room, because I'm not there, but he's always been vocally critical about certain aspects of the room. In 2016, I recall that he was positive about the team bringing in veterans like Brassard because he felt there were too many young cliques forming.

In terms of off ice personality, he is one of the most likable Senators. I have no idea if that translates to him being a good leader in the room. (Yes, I know some people get on him for politics, I'm not touching that)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan basically replace Stone on a line with Tkachuk & White. He clearly isn't the player he once was & he's no Mark Stone but he is a skilled playmaker who hopefully can gel with those two to create a decent line. At his salary he isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but can still be somewhat useful to the Sens during this transition.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

Reminds me of this:

38b0bca1983df5506dda5d6fe7e0cc49.jpg

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Personally I'd like to see Bobby put together the type of year that makes him somewhat sought after. The Sens can always retain salary to maximize any return, and moving him would free up more weaponize-able cap space.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Personally I'd like to see Bobby put together the type of year that makes him somewhat sought after. The Sens can always retain salary to maximize any return, and moving him would free up more weaponize-able cap space.

We've all been saying that for the past 4 years...

Reactions: Beville

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If he does have a good season (or at least a decent season) next year, and shows no signs of his skating slowing down, he might be movable without retention next summer. He'd be at a point where there's only 2 years left on his deal, and the cap is that much higher.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The best thing about Ryan is that we're now over the half way mark of his contract.

Will be a great day when he's no longer a Senator. Trash player. Trash person.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's here because he's untradable and there's no motivation to move him with retention, so there's really not much else to the situation other than waiting for the expiry date.

He comes off as a nice guy in interviews, has experience, and can hold down a roster spot, but I no longer have any illusions that he's capable of more than we've seen and am not going to pretend he will contribute much value on the ice, just like the rest of the vets not named Pageau.

As far as criticism goes, I think a pro athlete making over 7 mil a year that puts up 15 goals and 40 points IF everything goes right, is very deserving of it and its the fans right. It's just the price you pay to live the life. Don't like it? Retirement is an option.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->