Rick Tocchet for Sabres Head Coaching Vacancy? (UPDATE: Nope)

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
My top picks if I were Botterill would be Paul MacLean & Marc Crawford, probably in that order. Why take a chance on a guy that's either never been a head coach before or someone that has and didn't do all that well when you don't have to.

I wouldn't mind hiring Mullen as the designated PP coach. It's such a critical component that I think it's worth having its own coach, that is if you can find a really good one.

Statistically our PP is seemingly fine, but it rarely passes the eye test and far too many goals are scored on broken plays, rushes (after shorthanded chances) or great individual efforts. With our talent we should have a powerplay that is not only tops in the league, but has precision, a purpose, and rarely gives up short handed chances. A *consistently* dangerous powerplay is also the best defense against cheap shots.

No good reason why we shouldn't be a top-2 team on the PP for the next few years. It sounds arrogant, but it should be an expectation for this franchise.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Go for it. Hopefully Pens then hire Joe Mullen and let him run the PP, he was really really successful with that Flyers PP.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Sometimes a guy has to fail and see some other perspectives and schemes before they really have success... Sullivan wasn't the coach he is now in Boston...
he learned from his failure and from his time with torts as an assistant... maybe Tocchet deserves another shot now

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Sometimes a guy has to fail and see some other perspectives and schemes before they really have success... Sullivan wasn't the coach he is now in Boston...
he learned from his failure and from his time with torts as an assistant... maybe Tocchet deserves another shot now

Agree with this.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think Sully is the leader. He works higher level strategy, sets the tone, and is the authoritarian to deliver the message and keep players in line.

Jacques Martin is the quiet tactician. He's the smart X's and O's guy that stays in the background and advises Sully on what to do.

Tochett is the player's coach. He's the guy who can go talk to the players like a player, because he was one, and a very good one at that, for this club.

They make an effective team, but only Sully out of that group is an effective head coach. The other two have tried and failed in that role.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't say Martin 'failed' as a head coach. He's 12th all time in wins.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Sabres and Jets fan coming in peace, and congratulations on winning the Stanley Cup for the 2nd Year in a row and well deserving!!

I have a question for you Pens fans about the man who runs the forwards and the Powerplay, that of course is Rick Tocchet.

There has been alot of speculation going on about Tocchet being a front runner for the Sabres head coaching vacancy even before Jason Botterill was hired as our new GM. I am very excited about Botterill as he did phenomenal for your organization and I'm hopeful he can bring that same success to the Sabres.

If he hires Tocchet, I am no doubt going to trust he was the best candidate for the job, as Tocchet has some competition with Phil Housley and Todd Reirden but reports are saying Tocchet and Housley are the Front Runners and have been the whole time as Botterill waited patiently until after the Stanley Cup Finals to have interviews with both coaches.

So now I have to ask the question? Would Tocchet be a great NHL Head Coach, how much of an influence and role did he have in the Pens repeating as Stanley Cup Champions, was it all Sullivan , and is he actually as good as the players make him out to be?

I have read multiple articles that he is Kessel's favorite assistant coach ever , he's a players coach, always has fun in practice, He brings fire and passion each game, he played a pivotal part in getting the best out of Stamkos when he was in Tampa, and I read another article that he would have no problem winning over the Sabres dressing room http://www.wkbw.com/sports/sabres/b...roblem-winning-over-sabres-locker-room?page=2

So Pens Fans? What are your thoughts on Rick Tocchet possibly as our next head coach? Would he be a good fit? What would he bring?

Thoughts

Tocchhet is a certified hard ass & would have no problem reeling Eichel in. He can command a room without being a Torts. His first stint as a head coach was meh, but he really came into his own the past few years. That's why I'm really hoping the Sabres hire Housely instead, but I think Botterrill will go with Tocc...

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Tocchhet is a certified hard ass & would have no problem reeling Eichel in. He can command a room without being a Torts. His first stint as a head coach was meh, but he really came into his own the past few years. That's why I'm really hoping the Sabres hire Housely instead, but I think Botterrill will go with Tocc...

"reel Eichel in"

Eichel was right. He privately voiced team frustrations to the appropriate person in end of the year interviews that the coach sucked. Because, as you know, the coach sucked. He was elected to be the one to do it by his teammates. The whole team stopped playing for him and Eichel managed to finish .002 out of the top 10 in PPG doing it all on his own despite never having linemates for more than a week, coming off major injury and having a D that couldn't move a puck up ice to save its life.

That's who you are saying needs to be reeled in.

You'd think a fan who watched Crosby be misrepresented as a coach killer would see through how these things happen.

Last edited:

sigamy

Jun 27, 2016
While I agree with most of your points, did you watch Eichel's year end media scrum? IMHO he came off like a spoiled, whiny, brat of a kid. He didn't look or speak like a leader at all...

I know Sid struggled on the ice early in his career--complaining to refs, chirping, etc. But Sid handled himself very well with the press. The on ice stuff I can attribute to passion.

Maybe Eichel will learn and improve. he's got a long way to go.

"reel Eichel in"

Eichel was right. He privately voiced team frustrations to the appropriate person in end of the year interviews that the coach sucked. Because, as you know, the coach sucked. He was elected to be the one to do it by his teammates. The whole team stopped playing for him and Eichel managed to finish .002 out of the top 10 in PPG doing it all on his own despite never having linemates for more than a week, coming off major injury and having a D that couldn't move a puck up ice to save its life.

That's who you are saying needs to be reeled in.

You'd think a fan who watched Crosby be misrepresented as a coach killer would see through how these things happen.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
how would any of us know what kind of coach Tochett would be. I never bought notion that he was coaching PP, I think I like his demeanor, he seems like player's coach, but I think that would be a crapshoot

Ask Boston or Rangers fans, they hated sully as a head coach or assistant, so you really never know.

One thing I can guarantee you: You already had the second worst coach in NHL (after Mike Johnston) so you can only go up at this point
Yeah. Honestly, I think blaming Tocchet for the pp is a cop out at this point. The struggles have spanned several coaches, eventually you have to blame the constants.

ETA: Phil said Tocchet is the best assistant coach he's had.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes