Value of: Rick Nash to Toronto

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
What would it take?
Could be a good veteran winger for Matthews, and contract only has 2 years left so wouldn't affect the next contracts of Matthews/Marner when their ELC's are up.

Omac13

Sep 10, 2010
Newfoundland
What would it take?
Could be a good veteran winger for Matthews, and contract only has 2 years left so wouldn't affect the next contracts of Matthews/Marner when their ELC's are up.

I have been saying that for a while now the leafs need a legit vet to go with Matthews to help him. Nash is the perfect guy if you ask me for a few reasons. First and foremost he can keep up with Matthews. Last thing we want is a guy with not much foot speed. Secondly he plays strictly wing keeping Matthews in the middle of the ice. Third he is another big body and can also play the down low and cycle game with Matthews. Fourth he was a legit top flight player when we played with tones of skill that's what Matthews needs to learn from , legit top 3 Forwards when they were in their prime. Last but not least Nash was a top pick just like Matthews, he understands the pressure and what it means to be number 1 perfect mentor.

With all that said, I don't think NYR will be moving Nash. They are trying to win a cup and moving Nash wont help with that. 2 years from now when Nash is a UFA I don't think the leafs would have much interest so I cant see that happening.

One other name I would consider is Jordan Staal. He would help Matthews out on the D-side of the puck

Omac13

Sep 10, 2010
Newfoundland
I have been saying that for a while now the leafs need a legit vet to go with Matthews to help him. Nash is the perfect guy if you ask me for a few reasons. First and foremost he can keep up with Matthews. Last thing we want is a guy with not much foot speed. Secondly he plays strictly wing keeping Matthews in the middle of the ice. Third he is another big body and can also play the down low and cycle game with Matthews. Fourth he was a legit top flight player when we played with tones of skill that's what Matthews needs to learn from , legit top 3 Forwards when they were in their prime. Last but not least Nash was a top pick just like Matthews, he understands the pressure and what it means to be number 1 perfect mentor.

With all that said, I don't think NYR will be moving Nash. They are trying to win a cup and moving Nash wont help with that. 2 years from now when Nash is a UFA I don't think the leafs would have much interest so I cant see that happening.

One other name I would consider is Jordan Staal. He would help Matthews out on the D-side of the puck

Never mind I just seen Staal's contract forget I mentioned that.

Kanneda

Aug 10, 2014
Madrid
What is NYR looking for?

RH offensive defencemen. Therefore, we are bad trading partners. Only piece that make sense is JVR, but we'd probably have to add, and unless the cost is affordable it doesn't make sense for us because Nash is very good and this would be a lateral move.

Omac13

Sep 10, 2010
Newfoundland
RH offensive defencemen. Therefore, we are bad trading partners. Only piece that make sense is JVR, but we'd probably have to add, and unless the cost is affordable it doesn't make sense for us because Nash is very good and this would be a lateral move.

The whole league is looking for a RH Offensive D man lol

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
JVR + Connor Carrick for Nash + 2017 1st?

i think the leafs would prever younger assets for jvr. nash is fine but he is not a longterm solution for the leafs. jvr is probably our best trade chip if they want to explore that option. i dont think they move him for a winger an expensive winger over 30 who is unlikely to resign.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
What is NYR looking for?

Top pair right handed defensemen but you dont have that. I think they best option is a pick for Nash at the draft or in the summer but then again, Toronto is probably gonna pick top 5 or atleast top 10. Dont think you want to give up that pick? So next is a 2nd rounder?Thats not enough for me for Nash. Last thing we need are forwards. Have tons of them and struggle to give them all enough ice time when everyone are healthy

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Top pair right handed defensemen but you dont have that. I think they best option is a pick for Nash at the draft or in the summer but then again, Toronto is probably gonna pick top 5 or atleast top 10. Dont think you want to give up that pick? So next is a 2nd rounder?Thats not enough for me for Nash. Last thing we need are forwards. Have tons of them and struggle to give them all enough ice time when everyone are healthy

Carrick + a 2nd? Any contracts you're looking to dump?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Good offer, but we haven't drafted in the first round since 2012...if the first could be replace for a combination of 2nd + prospect(s) I'm down for it.

Not good offer. Doesnt fit a need at all. Not interested in JVR, gonna lose him when his contract is up because we cant resign him and we dont need forwards at all. Definetly not sending a 1st with Nash unless we get a good and not old RH defensemen back

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Carrick + a 2nd? Any contracts you're looking to dump?

Not good enough for me. Carrick is just not interesting at all. Cant even make the Leafs roster atm.

EDIT: Wrote Carrick but thought we talked about Corrado.... My bad

Last edited:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Yep the only thing we have for that spot is Connor Carrick and he's not going to be ready right away. Not sure what else we could add to make it an attractive deal without giving up JVR.

Give us your first rounder lol :laugh: We deserve one, havent drafted in the first round in years....

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Not good enough for me. Carrick is just not interesting at all. Cant even make the Leafs roster atm

He's our second best defenseman.

Babcock the excellent tactician is really not good at making lines and choosing who plays.

Carrick is better than Gardiner in advanced stats, and is stronger offensively. Think of Shattenkirk lite at the moment.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Cant make the lineup. We dont need decent. We have more than enough of them and AV is already not playing a solid RH defensemen in Clendening. We need a guy that can play with Mcdonagh, Carrick isnt that guy and wouldnt make our team anyway

He's played 14 out of 15 games, averaging 18 minutes of ice time. What are you talking about?

I'm not disagreeing that he might not be what you guys need, but no need to spout nonsense. Are you thinking about Corrado?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He's our second best defenseman.

Babcock the excellent tactician is really not good at making lines and choosing who plays.

Carrick is better than Gardiner in advanced stats, and is stronger offensively. Think of Shattenkirk lite at the moment.

We already have Clendening who leads the league in CF%. He was on the bench for 60 minutes against Edmonton the other night. Didnt get one shift, understand it if you can.... Arguably or second best defensemen and AV rather played with 11 forwards and 6 defensemen than 11 forwards and 7 defensemen on a back-back. Go figure....

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not good offer. Doesnt fit a need at all. Not interested in JVR, gonna lose him when his contract is up because we cant resign him and we dont need forwards at all. Definetly not sending a 1st with Nash unless we get a good and not old RH defensemen back

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130865
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...id=28&type=fenwick&sort=PCTRelTM&sortdir=DESC
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...amid=28&type=corsi&sort=PCTRelTM&sortdir=DESC
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...amid=28&type=goals&sort=PCTRelTM&sortdir=DESC

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Cant make the lineup. We dont need decent. We have more than enough of them and AV is already not playing a solid RH defensemen in Clendening. We need a guy that can play with Mcdonagh, Carrick isnt that guy and wouldnt make our team anyway

He is part of the lineup. He gets the odd scratch like most young defensemen.
Fine if he doesn't fit, he fits here and is a player most will be happy to keep.

Think you have him confused with Frankie Corrado.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He's played 14 out of 15 games, averaging 18 minutes of ice time. What are you talking about?

I'm not disagreeing that he might not be what you guys need, but no need to spout nonsense. Are you thinking about Corrado?

Yes sorry... I even wrote Carrick myself, but thought we talked about Corrado haha... But anyway not really interested in Carrick either. Doesnt fill a need for us and we already have Clendening who leads the league in CF% not getting icetime which is just insane...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad