Proposal: Rick Nash to Detroit

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So a guy has the best scoring season of his career only a single season ago yet he's on the decline ? :handclap:

I'm guessing you watched a total of 0 Ranger games last year, Nash struggled with a lingering injury and had the lowest TOI of his career. That combined with our team generally sucking all year round led to his statistical slump.

If you look at the bigger picture: 7th in goals/60 since he joined the Rangers, great 2-way play, can contribute on the pk, still has good foot speed and has solid advanced stats.

The asking price remains.
Nash at no retention: 1st + acceptable cap dump
Nash at 25%: 1st + Prospect
Nash at 50%: 1st + Prospect + Roster player

He's not as aged as the other guy seemed to be implying but keep in mind that injuries are a part of aging y'know... Just saying I would not use an injury as way to explain away whether or not a player is againg

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I wouldnt give you a 7th rounder for him at this point. He is very over paid and not what Detroit needs.

He is one year removed from scoring 40+ goals [3rd in NHL]. He was injured this season and never found his stride. He is still a legitimate 1st line forward who will give you 30+ goals. $7.8M for him, in this market, is fair. You wont get a 30+ goal/60+ point forward for much less than that.

Yes, he was underwhelming last year due to injuries, but played well in the post season. When healthy, he is still the Rangers best forward and a good two way player.

He is not the go to guy, but most teams are better adding a 30-goal two way forward.

At his age, he still has another 3-4 years of high level play. Far from a cap dump. I wouldnt move Nash without receiving a worthwhile asset back. He still has value, more so now that $7.8M isnt a significant contract given that most elite players hitting the market are $8.5-10M.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Nash won't touch that level again. He is not aging well.

That's what everyone said the summer of 2014.

Zetterberg lead Detroit last season with 50pts in 82 games. This is .61pp/g

Nash's 36pts in 60 games is a .6pp/g pace.

With the injuries in 2014, Nash scored 39pts in 65 games, a .6pp/g pace. Afterwards people said he was done. Only for him to return the following year and score 42goals.

Just because a player has injuries which keeps them performing at their best, doesn't mean their career is trashed.

Nash is still a heck of a hockey players and players at his caliber don't make it to UFA. No amount of free cap space will score more goals than Rick Nash.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
That's what everyone said the summer of 2014.

Zetterberg lead Detroit last season with 50pts in 82 games. This is .61pp/g

Nash's 36pts in 60 games is a .6pp/g pace.

With the injuries in 2014, Nash scored 39pts in 65 games, a .6pp/g pace. Afterwards people said he was done. Only for him to return the following year and score 42goals.

Just because a player has injuries which keeps them performing at their best, doesn't mean their career is trashed.

Nash is still a heck of a hockey players and players at his caliber don't make it to UFA. No amount of free cap space will score more goals than Rick Nash.

Rick Nash has like 2 good years left and you ranger fans know it. Detroit isn't a contender. There's zero point

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I would do Nash at 50% retained plus 2017 1st for Tatar.

Wait, we're adding a first and retaining 50%? Maybe we'll toss in Mcdonagh if you really ask nicely. You make it sound like you're doing us a favor here.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like how injuries are thrown around as an excuse, if he's had 2 larger injuries in the last 3 seasons, that's a concern because it's obviously affecting his production. Let's face the facts, trading for Nash is a risky gamble for any team, and one that could get a GM fired if it doesn't work out and that's a real possibility.

Nash is still an elite talent, he has size and can skate incredibly well. But like Iginla, his game will decline more and more each year, it's inevitable. For sure, the Rangers would need to take back some kind of asset that isn't very attractive, but in doing that they should get some cap space and another quality asset they can use.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
No way would i include AA for a winger that's on the downside. I might give up AA in a package deal for Jacob Trouba but that's about it.

lol, what?

Can someone explain how Athanasiou became so highly rated among Detroit fans? Decent but not amazing numbers in the AHL. I realize he put up a few points while getting hardly any icetime, but surely we can agree that he is, at best, a question mark with some potential. Right?

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
lol, what?

Can someone explain how Athanasiou became so highly rated among Detroit fans? Decent but not amazing numbers in the AHL. I realize he put up a few points while getting hardly any icetime, but surely we can agree that he is, at best, a question mark with some potential. Right?

He's super fun watch so our fans are salivating on his potential upside. (you know we do desperately need our prospects to breakout) This being HF every fan base overrates their own prospects/picks and the only real reason to move him out is for a D upgrade that we badly need.

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
He's super fun watch so our fans are salivating on his potential upside. (you know we do desperately need our prospects to breakout) This being HF every fan base overrates their own prospects/picks and the only real reason to move him out is for a D upgrade that we badly need.

fair enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad