TSN: Rick Nash Retires

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
While health comes first and I'll never knock a guy for thinking about his future, this really blows. Not that any of us thought he'd be in a Bruins jersey again but to recap:

Bruins gave up:
Ryan Lindgren 20 year old prospect at the time
2018 First Round Pick
Ryan Spooner
Matt Belesky (which we held on to half his contract or so, I believe?)

To get 23 Games total, 11 points, and a -7 from Rick Nash...

Without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I'd do those deals all over again given the circumstances at the time.

I just hope Sweeney isn't shy about making similar moves this season, to add some extra scoring punch.

Reactions: mflo77

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I'd do those deals all over again given the circumstances at the time.

I just hope Sweeney isn't shy about making similar moves this season, to add some extra scoring punch.

Real shame Nash got concussed, while he wasn`t scoring at will, there was a drastically different look to the 2nd line when he was on it and thought he played and contributed pretty well. Opened up ice for DK

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I feel bad for him, but he's doing the right thing.

Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Reactions: BMC

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
While health comes first and I'll never knock a guy for thinking about his future, this really blows. Not that any of us thought he'd be in a Bruins jersey again but to recap:

Bruins gave up:
2018 First Round Pick
Ryan Spooner

Okay let's break it down more.

Spooner is terrible. Beleskey is terrible and we got the Rangers to take a part of that horrid contract. Lindgren is a prospect who probably fits more into the old NHL than the new NHL and we are pretty stocked on D. 2018 first round pick ended up being K'andre Miller I believe.

As of right now, that trade doesn't bother me one bit. Depends what Lindgren and Miller do.

As for Nash, smart decision. Great player and hopefully he has a long healthy retirement.

Reactions: mflo77 and BMC

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Okay let's break it down more.

Spooner is terrible. Beleskey is terrible and we got the Rangers to take a part of that horrid contract. Lindgren is a prospect who probably fits more into the old NHL than the new NHL and we are pretty stocked on D. 2018 first round pick ended up being K'andre Miller I believe.

As of right now, that trade doesn't bother me one bit. Depends what Lindgren and Miller do.

As for Nash, smart decision. Great player and hopefully he has a long healthy retirement.
Horrible acquisition, among many, by Sweeney. Funny how people just discount first round picks...then again, given Sweeney's abysmal drafting ability, it probably wouldn't have mattered.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Nothing but best wishes to Rick Nash.

He was one of my favorite players to watch outside of the Bs growing up.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I echo all the comments commending him on making a smart decision and wish him well.

I’d also like to thank Rick for a bit of amusement he gave my son and I. During every between periods/after game interview he’d listen politely to the question (usually Alex) making full eye contact. Then, when it came time to answer the question he’d turn and look directly into the camera — and I mean directly — and answer the question with a big smile on his face.

We’d laugh...... “Will he do it again? Wait for it......” and then “Yes!”.

Childish, but fun to do.

Icing on cake came when a Rags fan posted on HF..... “has he stared at the camera and spoken to you directly yet?” a little while after the trade.:laugh:

Anyway best of luck Rick. Congrats on awesome career.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

Bruins gave up:
2018 First Round Pick
Ryan Spooner

A feather in Sweeneys cap..

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site

Bruins gave up:
2018 First Round Pick
Ryan Spooner

this is the biggest problem of all Bruins fans. Rick Nash was one of the biggest catches of the deadline.

any package for any scoring winger would feel like a torching. imagine what the bruins would have to give up for guys like panarin , stone, duchene? this board would self destruct with the amount of prospects / picks the bruins would give up. ryan spooner? you upset about losing spooner? ryan lindren? you check out the latest bruins Dman prospect pool?

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
All the best Rick

There are more important things than hockey

I just can't remember what they are right now:sarcasm:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Do we really need to go down this road AGAIN?

This deal absolutely has to be broken down into two sections:

Part 1:
Rick Nash to BOS
BOS 1st, Lindgren to NYR

Part 2:
Spooner & a 7th to NYR to take Beleskey and some money.

Lindgren was at the time probably their 5th defense prospect depth wise. No issue moving that type of player in a deal. 1st rounder is what it is, have to give to get.

Spooner was an RFA, who the Bruins probably had no intention of re-signing. It's not surprising he's on his 3rd team in a calender year, and by all accounts, they are looking to move on from him as well. I have no issue moving that player out to get SOME cap relief for a negative asset in Beleskey.

The value for Nash is there, wether or not you agree with it. Personally, glad they made a move, sucks it didn't work out.

Good Summary, perhaps with that deal the bruins could have landed Tavares, Hoffman, E Kane...Nash was a good player prior to his concussion history. It was risk I didn't like from the start.

It's nice to see a player put the money aside for his health/family.

Chip off the Rohloff

Jul 4, 2018
Wish all the best for Nash as he takes this next step in his life.

Guy was one heck of a goal scorer in his prime and a critical part of my NHL 04 Columbus Dynasty team.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Good Summary, perhaps with that deal the bruins could have landed Tavares, Hoffman, E Kane...Nash was a good player prior to his concussion history. It was risk I didn't like from the start.

It's nice to see a player put the money aside for his health/family.

Isles wanted to extend Tavares at all costs, Hoffman and Kane wouldnt have been the right players. Nash was the ideal player to get at the deadline for Krejci's line and that for ultimately just a first rounder. There is a risk with every player. Managment can think that we don't need to get help at the deadline and the game after Bergy and Marchy could go down with season ending injuries.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Isles wanted to extend Tavares at all costs, Hoffman and Kane wouldnt have been the right players. Nash was the ideal player to get at the deadline for Krejci's line and that for ultimately just a first rounder. There is a risk with every player. Managment can think that we don't need to get help at the deadline and the game after Bergy and Marchy could go down with season ending injuries.

Yes a risk with every player (heard that before) ... there was a much bigger risk with Nash... a declining point producer and brutal performance performer. Add the concussion history you end up with a big RISK.

Other options were out there ... better value and perhaps lesser value that could have helped. Big fish name in my option was not worth the risk.

Other than the big goal he had against leafs in the playoffs he did not leave me with a lasting positive impression,

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad