TSN: Rick Nash Retires

Johndunham7

Johnny Hockey
Dec 12, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
While health comes first and I'll never knock a guy for thinking about his future, this really blows. Not that any of us thought he'd be in a Bruins jersey again but to recap:

Bruins gave up:
Ryan Lindgren 20 year old prospect at the time
2018 First Round Pick
Ryan Spooner
Matt Belesky (which we held on to half his contract or so, I believe?)

To get 23 Games total, 11 points, and a -7 from Rick Nash...

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
While health comes first and I'll never knock a guy for thinking about his future, this really blows. Not that any of us thought he'd be in a Bruins jersey again but to recap:

Bruins gave up:
2018 First Round Pick
Ryan Spooner

Do we really need to go down this road AGAIN?

This deal absolutely has to be broken down into two sections:

Part 1:
Rick Nash to BOS
BOS 1st, Lindgren to NYR

Part 2:
Spooner & a 7th to NYR to take Beleskey and some money.

Lindgren was at the time probably their 5th defense prospect depth wise. No issue moving that type of player in a deal. 1st rounder is what it is, have to give to get.

Spooner was an RFA, who the Bruins probably had no intention of re-signing. It's not surprising he's on his 3rd team in a calender year, and by all accounts, they are looking to move on from him as well. I have no issue moving that player out to get SOME cap relief for a negative asset in Beleskey.

The value for Nash is there, wether or not you agree with it. Personally, glad they made a move, sucks it didn't work out.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Bruins gave up:
2018 First Round Pick
Ryan Spooner

so a whole bunch of crap that'll never be missed...

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Reading this reminded me of that old Rocket Richard story when he hit his head playing the Bruins and was stretchered off the ice unconscious, then later returned to play still blurry eyed and concussed and scored the game winner. Good luck to Nash, but just shows how far we've come with this.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Sad. Was selfishly hoping he'd join up with us this year but good call by him if hes still dealing with symptoms. What a shame he was playing great when this hit happened.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta

Bruins gave up:
2018 First Round Pick
Ryan Spooner

Good on Sweeney. I'm sure the Gorton and Rangers sure wish they negotiated a better deal than the crap they got for him.

Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Of course Toronto was interested. Can’t wait for them to add scoring and continue to ignore their Charmin defense.

Nothing negative at all to say about Rick Nash.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Good on Sweeney. I'm sure the Gorton and Rangers sure wish they negotiated a better deal than the crap they got for him.
Um, I liked Rick Nash, but all things considered that was fair at the time.

The 1st round pick is the big kicker for the Bruins. (especially with the rumors that wanted to get back into the 1st).

Spooner was actually meshing well with Krejci/Debrusk last season. Doesn't change what has happened since, but he was a formidable presence on that line, all things considered. At that time, that was ok value for Spooner for both sides.

Lindgren had a lot of guys above him. A lot of guys that are in talks to be moved again this year for help to fill the same roll.

Belesky, I think we retained too much considering we gave up the first, but it's definitely nothing to cry about.

I think the deal in hindsight was fair, but probably not the right move for the Bruins long term. Even if Nash didn't get hurt, at most he would have been a bandaid to a bigger issue they need to solve. I hope the Bruins don't make a similar move for a similar player (age/contract wise). Bruins need to think long term.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's sad anytime a person has to leave their occupation not on their own terms and not of their own doing.

Credit Nash for turning down contract offers this summer knowing his healthy really wasn't there.

Was a heck of a player in his hey-day. I never thought in a million years he'd essentially retire as a Bruin.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Bruins gave up:
2018 First Round Pick
Ryan Spooner

Bruins Don't win round 1 againt Toronto without him.

That was a good move by Sweeney. Hopefully, he makes another one this year for another playoff run.

Good luck to Nash. Always liked him as a player from his Columbus days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad