Rick Nash Retires/Appreciation thread

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Definitely one of my favorite players ever. I have his CBJ jersey with a C on it, and a signed Team Canada jersey of his. It's really sad that he had to retire due to concussions. Wish he could have gotten a cup. Best of luck to him!

(Don't tell HF Pens)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I was a huge CBJ fan as a kid. Most people in my school (that I knew anyway) weren't, but everyone always knew one name, and that was Rick Nash. Nash was and will always be the first CBJ legend, and although his jersey may never be formally retired here I doubt anybody will ever wear the #61 in union blue ever again. I wish him luck on his future endeavors (likely with the CBJ organization?) and hope his concussion symptoms subside so he can live a happy and normal postp laying life with his family.

I am saddened, because I feel like I'm getting old now.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I don’t know how to say this without sounding like I’m whining. Rick Nash deserves a proper send off. The Columbus Blue Jackets deserve to properly honor him. Not just some tribute video then him waving to the crowd from the owners box. Rick Nash deserves better, the CBJ deserve better, and the fans deserve better. But it is going down the way it is going down. I would have put my paycheck on him signing a contract right after the Panarin trade was announced. Now that won’t happen.

This franchise is 20 years in since it was first announced and 18 years in since they first took the ice. They...we...us....the city.... all deserves more in this league than being the reason we have end zone netting.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If this goal had been scored by Ovi or Crosby it would be replayed on national telecasts on a regular basis (similar to Ovi scoring from his back), but it was Nash on CBJ so not much love.

It is replayed very often on all the best goals lists, I see it just as often as that Ovechkin goal.

Rick Nash was a very popular player in his time, and not just in Ohio. I met a guy in Edmonton a few weeks back who showed me his Rick Nash jersey.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'll be the first to say I was not a huge fan of Nash when he was here.
But he was our first really good player who was here for some very painful years.
From all accounts he is a classy guy.
Glad he could pick him time to go out and I hope he leads a great life! I know he can't play any more but I hope he will become a part of the organization and maybe get #61 in the rafters someday.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Great teammate. Not one bad thing to say about the guy. I hope he gets over his issues and have a great quality of life.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Come home for a day Nasher, I don'5 need to see you play in this jersey anymore, I have my memories.
Loved you and hated you but time heals all wounds.
You will always be a Blue Jacket.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina

I vaguely remember Tyler Wright (I think) telling Nash when he came back to the bench after that first goal that he scored in his first game too but had done it earlier in the game. Haha. I still LOVE those early Jackets.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I remember going on a road trip to see a few games in the east and the road trip ended with the CBJ-NYR in Madison Square Garden in early 2012. This is when the trade rumors were flying and I was one of the proud and few CBJ fans in the arena. The Ranger fans were chanting "We Don't Want You" a lot whenever Nash touched the puck. It picked up quite a bit when he scored late in the 3rd to force OT. The Rangers won that game but I just remember the humor of the Rangers fans chanting that.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Well we all know Bobrovsky will be the other one in the rafters, but I think Nash deserves his up first.

If the CBJ do decide to retire his jersey, I think it should go up against the Rangers in a game next year.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Well we all know Bobrovsky will be the other one in the rafters, but I think Nash deserves his up first.

If the CBJ do decide to retire his jersey, I think it should go up against the Rangers in a game next year.

I have to ask, are you being serious about the Bobrovsky thing?

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I have to ask, are you being serious about the Bobrovsky thing?

Yes? He's the best player in franchise history, most accomplished player in franchise history, and the backstop during the current most successful run in franchise history. And before its all said and done for him, he could be a hall of famer.

Fair or not, I sort of feel like retiring Bobrovsky's number based upon current accomplishments would be like the Bengals putting up a monument to Marvin Lewis.

Marvin Lewis, while accomplished, isn't on the verge on being a hall of famer. He did turn around an awful Bengals franchise though, so although he never won a playoff game he does deserve credit.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Marvin Lewis, while accomplished, isn't on the verge on being a hall of famer. He did turn around an awful Bengals franchise though, so although he never won a playoff game he does deserve credit.

I think that is my comparison. Regular season accomplishments compared to postseason failures. Bob has 2 Vezina trophies and a good number of wins based upon his career so far but if you look at the number if 2 time Vezina winners who got their numbers retired there aren't many.

I think number retirement should be reserved for great players. Not just merely good players who played on a team who has never had a great player. That being said, I think it is questionable the Nash deserves it. He had some really good career numbers but the real reason he stands out here is because he was literally surrounded by nothing during his time here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->