Rick Nash Retires/Appreciation thread

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio

Thread is basically what the title says... comment on retirement, memories and his legacy as the Jackets first star player.

My first ever favorite player. I truly thought he'd be back this year with us as a swan song. I wonder in what role the CBJ will hire Nasher?

Thanks for everything #61. Including turning heel. That was fun.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Thread is basically what the title says... comment on retirement, memories and his legacy as the Jackets first star player.

My first ever favorite player. I truly thought he'd be back this year with us as a swan song. I wonder in what role the CBJ will hire Nasher?

Thanks for everything #61. Including turning heel. That was fun.

Good for Rick, it's not worth it. One of my favorite players of all time.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Columbus Blue Jackets clinch their first-ever NHL playoff spot - TheHockeyNews

Rick Nash put Columbus in the playoffs for the first time, and Fedor Tyutin capped the Blue Jackets’ big night with the shootout winner.
After Nash scored a late goal to force overtime and give the Blue Jackets the final point they need to clinch a playoff spot, Tyutin scored the lone goal in the shootout in Columbus’ 4-3 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday night.
Columbus, which entered the NHL in 2000-01, was the only active team that hadn’t made the playoffs. Against Chicago, the Blue Jackets overcame 2-0 and 3-2 deficits.
Nash scored his 39th goal with 5:30 left in regulation to tie it at 3 and set up overtime. Antoine Vermette also scored and assisted on Jason Williams’ goal in regulation.
The Blue Jackets earned the one point they needed to qualify for the playoffs by reaching overtime.
“To get that one point was huge, to come back after being down 2-0,” Nash said. “To get the win was even more important. We’re going to try to win these last two games to keep our position in the standings.
“I don’t know if it’s quite sunk in yet. We’re so used to playing out the season.”
For the Blue Jackets, the milestone had additional meaning. John H. McConnell, the Blue Jackets’ founder and majority owner, died in April 2008 at age 84.
“It’s great,” Nash said. “We did it for ourselves, but most of all we did it for Mr. Mac. We know he’s up there watching. I’m sure he’s sitting in his chair and has a cigar in his mouth.”
“I’m proud of the guys,” Columbus coach Ken Hitchcock said. “I wasn’t happy about the first period. I thought we were light on the puck. In the second and third period we came back and managed the play.”
After Nash tied it with what Hitchcock called “the biggest goal in the history of the franchise,” Hitchcock called on an unlikely shooter Tyutin as his second in the shootout.
Nash had hit the post on Columbus’ first attempt.
“We’ve seen him in practice,” Hitchcock said. “He’s got three or four moves. I just felt like we needed to change things up.”
Brent Seabrook, Dave Bolland and Martin Havlat scored in regulation for the Blackhawks, whose four-game winning streak ended.
Chicago needs one point to clinch the fourth seed in the Western Conference and home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs.
The Blackhawks will make their first post-season appearance since 2002 and only their second in 11 seasons.
“It would have been nice to get both points tonight,” Chicago coach Joel Quenneville said. “We definitely left a valuable point on the table. I think we started well, but Columbus is a desperate team that fought back hard.”
Chicago will close the regular season with a home-and-home series against Detroit.
“We haven’t accomplished anything yet,” Quenneville said. “We haven’t reached out final goal, our final destination. That’s home ice.”
Columbus goalie Steve Mason made 24 saves. Chicago’s Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 19 saves in his fifth straight start and the 10th in the last 11 games.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
There are many things that I will never forgive Doug MacLean for. Wasting the best years of Nash's career is just one of many.

Wish he could have come home to a better team, but health comes first. Hopefully all will be well for him going forward.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Good for Rick, it's not worth it. One of my favorite players of all time.

One of the best goals ever, I mean ever. Remember that he was in the box and came out with 30 seconds left after putting his team down a man in a tie game, then comes out of the box and does that. Holy moly is right! If this goal had been scored by Ovi or Crosby it would be replayed on national telecasts on a regular basis (similar to Ovi scoring from his back), but it was Nash on CBJ so not much love. Again one of the best goals ever scored.
Seems like yesterday we walked in Nationwide and little 18yo Rick Nash was sitting at a table at the end of his autograph session and nobody was there. As we were leaving my wife said that he is just a kid. She was right and now he is 34 (old man haha) and retiring. I never liked the way he left Cbus but he seemed like a good kid. Best of luck to you Rick.

Reactions: Monk

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
The reason I'm a Columbus fan. I was hoping he would make 1 more return but health is more important so I'm glad that he's doing what's best for him and his family. Met him a couple of times when he and the Blue Jackets were in Vancouver. Forever grateful when he gave me his stick and signed it. It's a shame he didn't get a Stanley Cup but at least he got Olympic Gold. Would be nice if his number got retired some day.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
When he was on he was great. Unfortunately I think the repeated disappointments of Jacket seasons wore on him and forced him to go. Hopefully he is getting out in time to prevent serious long term brain damage. Best of luck to him.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Sucks to see him go out this way. Everyone deserves to go out on their own terms with one last run, rather than health getting in the way.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I'm disappointed, I thought we'd see him dress up at least a few more times in a CBJ jersey before he retired. My hope is that he signs a 1 day contract and retires a Blue Jacket. I wish we had a chance to see him suit up for the team we have now considering the teams he had to endure here in the past.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've posted this here before but not for many years.

I had spent a few days with some old friends in the Fredericksburg area in Virginia in June of 2002. I was driving home on Saturday and found a broadcast of the NHL draft on the radio (I know!) out of DC. When the hosts announced that the Jackets had traded for the number one pick, I cheered! I knew it was to draft Nash, and I was certain he was exactly the player the Jackets needed.

(As an aside, later in the drive, I got stuck for almost two hours on the PA Turnpike - accident in one of the tunnels. People out of their cars catching football and frisbee, having conversations with complete strangers. It was at this time I heard on the radio that Cardinals pitcher Daryl Kile died. I don't really follow baseball and surely not the Cardinals, but I guess the weird setting made it memorable. So I always have had this weird association with Rick Nash and Daryl Kile.)

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
As said previously, he was the first great Blue Jacket. I never held any animosity about his trade request; the team wasn't in a position then to capitalize on what he brought. Having always maintained a good feeling about him, I'm actually glad he didn't sign with us this year as I'd prefer the memories of power forward Nash, a true horse who could cycle with opponents riding him while carrying the puck to net for another goal.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
He did ask out, and I did have open hatred for him the first few times he came with NYR. I cheered at his dust-ups with Calvert and Bob. But time seems to have softened my overall take on him.

That is exactly how I felt/feel. Loved Nash and was hurt when he left. Booed him in his first game back, but those games were fun as hell.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Not how you want to hang up the skates, hopefully he’s not having day to day symptoms. Was hoping we’d get the farewell tour, thanks for your time Rick, always my favorite Jacket

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Love Nasher. Sorry to see him hang them up but glad to see him make this call for the future. Can’t wait to see his number in the rafters - you know it’s coming and he absolutely deserves it within the context of his history with the team.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Most prolific scorer in his draft class by far.

Hope that the PCS isn't debilitating long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->