Rick Nash interested in joining CBJ front office

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
First test is going to be helping to convince Duchene to stick around.
As an outsider looking in, if Nash is going to try this then I hope he sticks to the benefits of the CBJ as a hockey organization and team with potential to win the SC. If this devolves into trying to convince him what a great city Columbus is, then he's gone.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
As an outsider looking in, if Nash is going to try this then I hope he sticks to the benefits of the CBJ as a hockey organization and team with potential to win the SC. If this devolves into trying to convince him what a great city Columbus is, then he's gone.

I think that could be useful for a non-CBJ free agent, but yeah, I think Duchene now probably knows enough about the city. Obviously not everything in only 2+ months, but probably enough. It’s about money and/or winning (for us. Maybe other orga would need to convince him about their city, too).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think the attraction of a city in picking a team depends on the player and the team's prospects. For some (Trouba and apparently the B&B boys) location was a major factor. For others I think the opportunity and money are the key factors. Each guy is going to be different.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Blue Jackets great Rick Nash now charged with helping sway...

From today's Athletic regarding Rick's job as City of Columbus huckster:

“Spend a week. Let’s go golfing, go to the Short North, go to an Ohio State football game, a Blue Jackets game or a concert. Go to the Arena District. Come to Easton with me. Go to a Clippers game or an outdoor concert. There’s a new (Crew) soccer stadium going up now. The (Franklin Park) Conservatory. Give it a chance.”

What? No zoo? C'mon Rick you're missing a big one.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think the attraction of a city in picking a team depends on the player and the team's prospects. For some (Trouba and apparently the B&B boys) location was a major factor. For others I think the opportunity and money are the key factors. Each guy is going to be different.

Yeah I continually hear the attractions are golf (which a lot of the players like to play - including Nash), and the schools (for the families).
For the average Joe cost of living (including housing) is huge but for top tier free agents they aren't going to care.

At some point it needs to be a place where guys want to come to (which is usually lead by the culture of the front office). I know it's getting better, but not where it needs to be.

And obviously money and term will always be important.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Rick sounds a bit in over his head with this gig. I’m not sure but he seems like a shy guy and not a really aggressive sales type of dude. I think this is more of a favor to Rick and they didn’t really think it through.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Rick sounds a bit in over his head with this gig. I’m not sure but he seems like a shy guy and not a really aggressive sales type of dude. I think this is more of a favor to Rick and they didn’t really think it through.

yeah. He was always coming back to the CBJ in some way/shape/form. They probably figured this is the "easiest" way to have him wear the logo again.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There is nothing wrong with Columbus as a city that isn't wrong with a shitload of other places. But there is also nothing particularly outstanding about Columbus as a city, either. It's a great place to live, plenty to do, good quality of life for the most part. But those things can be said about most NHL markets.

It's gonna have to be about the organization, the team, and winning. And it's gonna have to be about opportunity and, yes, money.

I'm cool with Nash coming back and taking on this role. What I don't care for is the overt way they're playing his role, the whole wooing of free agents. It's just a little embarrassing IMO. Small-time. I mean, maybe we are, but I'd like to avoid pointing it out. That quote from Rick above that Espen posted... made me wince.

Last edited:

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods

"Come play in this great city that I didn't want to stay in"....quite a sell...

Reactions: koteka and Fro

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
"Come play in this great city that I didn't want to stay in"....quite a sell...
Come on its not that simple, he obviously liked the city or he wouldn't have come back. Players want to win, and I think Nash knew he couldn't do it being the main guy and knew he was always going to be looked upon to be "the guy" as long as he was in Columbus..

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd also rather Rick not be doing any overt sales pitch. It wouldn't work. I don't know if he actually is though, or if he was just describing the background of the operation.

I think it's nice that he's someone that guys can come and hang out with, to go golfing with and get a meal. You don't enjoy a city by analyzing it's amenities abstractly, you have to just be there and enjoy a beer with an old friend.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah I continually hear the attractions are golf (which a lot of the players like to play - including Nash), and the schools (for the families).
For the average Joe cost of living (including housing) is huge but for top tier free agents they aren't going to care.

At some point it needs to be a place where guys want to come to (which is usually lead by the culture of the front office). I know it's getting better, but not where it needs to be.

And obviously money and term will always be important.

I think you might be understating the difference the cost of housing makes even for multi-millionaires. You can get a gorgeous mansion with property for a million dollars within a short drive of downtown Columbus. At that same distance and price in Toronto you won't get more than an average barely detached house. And I mean literally average, a million dollars (USD) is about the average home price for a detached house. And a million only gets you a bungalow in Vancouver or San Jose, and a shithole in New York. I just double-checked on Zillow, and I underestimated how staggering the difference was.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Is this really what Rick signed up for? I'm not sure he really expected to be making the local radio rounds and being a car salesman. Wasn't he more interested in actual font office/business inner workings? He seems like a member of the promotional staff at this point, one or two steps above a ticket rep

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Is this really what Rick signed up for? I'm not sure he really expected to be making the local radio rounds and being a car salesman. Wasn't he more interested in actual font office/business inner workings? He seems like a member of the promotional staff at this point, one or two steps above a ticket rep

Your typical promotional staff isn’t getting invited to be on morning radio, so I expect he had to suck it up and trade some of this face of he front office stuff for genuine FO stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Which is exactly where an ex player should start. At the bottom-if he really wants to learn the business.

This is where is maximum value is right now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
KJ was surprised by being demoted. The Russians are wanting out. Doesn’t sound like Nash is doing much as the ambassador to the team/city. Is he even in contact with these players?

It sounds like that is his previous job. If I remember correctly he's no longer in that part of the front office.

Reactions: LJ7

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
KJ was surprised by being demoted. The Russians are wanting out. Doesn’t sound like Nash is doing much as the ambassador to the team/city. Is he even in contact with these players?

I think it's much more nuanced than that and unless you are clued in on the front office I don't know how you can know the answer

KJ's play didn't warrant a roster spot.

Voronkov was feeling homesick. I'm not sure you can assume Nash wasn't/isn't trying to help.

Chinakhov thinks he deserves more PT which doesn't seem like a Nash problem - should be a Vincent convo

Reactions: Monk and LJ7

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think it's much more nuanced than that and unless you are clued in on the front office I don't know how you can know the answer

KJ's play didn't warrant a roster spot.

Voronkov was feeling homesick. I'm not sure you can assume Nash wasn't/isn't trying to help.

Chinakhov thinks he deserves more PT which doesn't seem like a Nash problem - should be a Vincent convo

I don’t know who is supposed to make the players feel comfortable, but a lot has come out this week that makes it look like we are doing less than a stellar job. Rick Nash has been given credit for things like the locker room redesign and has been publicly proclaimed to be some sort of ambassador who makes the players feel welcome. So maybe it is his fault. Maybe someone else is dropping the ball. Maybe we drafted a bunch of whiners and the team is doing nothing wrong. Might be nice if someone like Porty straight up asked Jarmo who is dropping the ball.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I don’t know who is supposed to make the players feel comfortable, but a lot has come out this week that makes it look like we are doing less than a stellar job. Rick Nash has been given credit for things like the locker room redesign and has been publicly proclaimed to be some sort of ambassador who makes the players feel welcome. So maybe it is his fault. Maybe someone else is dropping the ball. Maybe we drafted a bunch of whiners and the team is doing nothing wrong. Might be nice if someone like Porty straight up asked Jarmo who is dropping the ball.

Could it be agents positioning for negotiations of coming rfa's?

Reactions: Monk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad