Rick Nash interested in joining CBJ front office

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Another example of why I will not post here any more after this. I'm fine if people disagree but I don't like the name calling.
I agreed that he might like Columbus and that I could be wrong about that point but you guys keep bringing that up and name calling.
This board has never been welcoming to me and I assume others. I come here because I am not local and to connect with other CBJ fans. This minor incident is the last straw. I know nobody cares but I am done posting and reading here, just like so many before me, so enjoy the board with the same 5 people. Ask yourself, why are there so few people posting on the CBJ board?

Look, I don't mean to be a jerk, certainly don't want to drive people away (I'm sure Viqsi doesn't either) and maybe the "buddy boy" thing was a tad far. So, I apologize for that. I just get really annoyed when people bring in players' families/wives/GFs into things. It's different if its a situation like Pronger in Edmonton or Karlsson's entire thing with Hoffman in Ottawa, but when its just speculatory stuff it really bothers me. It's not just you, I've jumped on many posts about it regarding Panarin as well.

I don't mean to be a jerk and I apologize for the name calling. Hopefully you re-consider and stay. But now, as @Iron Balls McGinty said, can we all just prepare for tonights game and the playoffs?

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
Exactly what traits has he demonstrated that indicate he would be good in management? Any player that's been in the league longer than 5 years is a NHL hockey technical expert. Giving retired players a chance at using their expertise on the hockey side (scouting, coaching) of the operation makes sense. The business side of a hockey team requires a different skill set.

Given that his stated reasons for that request were to make the team better since he couldn't do it himself (which was true, and undoubtedly a very bitter pill for him to swallow), and given that, y'know, that's exactly what happened, I don't see any reason to continue to be bitter.

Off the top of my head, I can't relate exactly what the team gained from the Nash trade, but I know it changed the trajectory and direction of the organization for the better. From an objective standpoint, I'd say that Rick's analysis was spot on, and shows a pretty good feel for evaluating potential trades. That seems like the definition of desirable management skills.

Reactions: Monk

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
  • When Rick Nash announced his retirement as a player earlier this season, The Athletic reported there was a strong chance Nash would find work with the Blue Jackets. It remains to be seen what his job title — and work duties — will be, but he’s been watching recent games with the high-end hockey operations staff, president of hockey operations John Davidson, Kekalainen, assistant general manager Bill Zito, etc. “Jarmo’s been doing a lot of chatting with Rick about learning the management aspects of the game,” Davidson said. “They’re just feeling it all out and seeing where it goes. There’s nothing in stone yet.” Nash was part of the Blue Jackets’ travel party to Tampa, and Davidson said they’re leaning hard on him for inside information about current NHL players.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If he was actually going to be taking Bill's job, maybe they should actually have him do something on TV.

I'm not sure how he'll be as a TV guy since he is generally a pretty quiet guy.

Mar 1, 2002
How John Davidson's departure to the Rangers will affect...

Kekalainen is currently scouting the IIHF World Championships in Slovakia. On Sunday, he watched Blue Jackets defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov and Russia beat Switzerland 3-0. Today he’ll watch Blue Jackets goaltender Elvis Merzlikins and Latvia take on Sweden.

Most notable, however, is Kekalainen’s travel partner on this trip: former Blue Jackets forward Rick Nash, who has shadowed Kekalainen for several weeks now.

The Blue Jackets are exposing Nash to all facets of work in a hockey operations department, waiting for him to find his passion and for the club to find a fit for him.
As one NHL legend leaves the organization, another is finding his way back home.

“Rick is a good example of a guy we think could be a full-time worker in the hockey business,” Kekalainen said. “He has a lot of ability and potential. We love to grow people like that in our organization. His history with the club is nothing but a plus and a positive. He’s here with me at the Worlds, seeing this part of the business. He was with us through the playoffs, now he’s here. We’ll bring him to the draft (June, Vancouver) and let him see that. Soon we’ll be able to make a decision for what happens with us and Rick for next season.”

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How John Davidson's departure to the Rangers will affect...

Kekalainen is currently scouting the IIHF World Championships in Slovakia. On Sunday, he watched Blue Jackets defenseman Vladislav Gavrikov and Russia beat Switzerland 3-0. Today he’ll watch Blue Jackets goaltender Elvis Merzlikins and Latvia take on Sweden.

Most notable, however, is Kekalainen’s travel partner on this trip: former Blue Jackets forward Rick Nash, who has shadowed Kekalainen for several weeks now.

The Blue Jackets are exposing Nash to all facets of work in a hockey operations department, waiting for him to find his passion and for the club to find a fit for him.
As one NHL legend leaves the organization, another is finding his way back home.

“Rick is a good example of a guy we think could be a full-time worker in the hockey business,” Kekalainen said. “He has a lot of ability and potential. We love to grow people like that in our organization. His history with the club is nothing but a plus and a positive. He’s here with me at the Worlds, seeing this part of the business. He was with us through the playoffs, now he’s here. We’ll bring him to the draft (June, Vancouver) and let him see that. Soon we’ll be able to make a decision for what happens with us and Rick for next season.”

Folks will think this seems an awful lot of leeway for a guy who asked out. But if this is the course of action the powers-that-be have determined is best, then they're at least going about it the right way, giving Nash a chance to learn about a variety of kinds of hockey ops work to see where his interest and skills might lie.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here's a job for Rick: talk to his former teammate Zucc. They spent 5+ years together in New York. Tell Zucc some nice things about reformed Tortorella.

Reactions: CPTN71

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Rick is trying to learn all aspects of the NHL.

Hopefully the CBJ puts him in charge of the gameday optional skates. At this point in his career he has no idea what those are :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->