Rick Middleton

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Hi guys and gals

Hope everyone is having a good Labor Day weekend here in the states and a good weekend to my hockey homettes and homies in other countries!

I wanted to learn a bit about Rick Middleton. The reason for it is kinda interesting. In one of my roller hockey games a few years ago the two referees during a stoppage in play brought up Middelton's name (in a context I can't recall) and had some chuckles with each other. I know Middleton played for the Bruins, what kind of player was he? Do you guys/gals like him? Does he have a landmark/great moment or a fall-on-your-face moment? Look forward to the knowledge/opinions! -Jim

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Holiday here north of the border also. Only difference is it's "Labor" Day in the States, and it's "Labour" Day in Canada!

Middleton played with Gretzky and Goulet in the '84 Canada Cup. Put up some good points playing with Gretzky.

Talented guy, acquired the nickname "Nifty".

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Middleton was a very good player and had "Nifty" hands. Seems to me he took a pretty bad cheap shot once, pretty sure it was unsurprisingly by a Montreal player.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
Am I wrong or Middleton is the player Phil Esposito said in his book that had to be ship out of New York because he had gotten in trouble with the wrong peopple?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Am I wrong or Middleton is the player Phil Esposito said in his book that had to be ship out of New York because he had gotten in trouble with the wrong peopple?

That does sound familiar.

Went from an all offense player to an excellent defensive forward under Don Cherry.

Played for Canada twice in Canada Cups.

Lady Byng winner, had 175 PIMs in 1005 games.

Great stick handler, "nifty" moves. A real treat to watch.

Had a couple great playoff series.

Reactions: Jim MacDonald

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto Boy. Came up through the Wexford Raiders organization, right out of the box blowing peoples doors off. Speedster, Fancy Dangler. Underrated by the Scouts Big Time coming out of Junior after seriously lighting it up in the OHA.... Guy just never got the full respect he deserved beyond Boston, amongst those who know the game & caught his career, absolutely should have been inducted into the HHOF years ago, not too late, hopefully it gets done.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
He's one of the better NHL wingers of the 1980s.

Among modern players, maybe Marchand would be a good comparable (not necessarily stylistically)?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
They're both smaller guys who have finesse skills and are good defensively? Which current winger would you compare Middleton to?

Middleton wasn't small, he was 5,11 which was average height for the time.

Have you ever seen Middleton play?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Middleton wasn't small, he was 5,11 which was average height for the time.

Have you ever seen Middleton play?

Have you ever seen Marchand play?

Middleton retired a few years before I started watching hockey (he retired in 1988 - I watched my first game in 1993), but I've seen highlights of his and know what kind of player he was.

Last edited:

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Middleton was a very good player and had "Nifty" hands. Seems to me he took a pretty bad cheap shot once, pretty sure it was unsurprisingly by a Montreal player.

Yeah that was good old Chris Nilan who butt ended Middleton in the mouth

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Toronto Boy. Came up through the Wexford Raiders organization, right out of the box blowing peoples doors off. Speedster, Fancy Dangler. Underrated by the Scouts Big Time coming out of Junior after seriously lighting it up in the OHA.... Guy just never got the full respect he deserved beyond Boston, amongst those who know the game & caught his career, absolutely should have been inducted into the HHOF years ago, not too late, hopefully it gets done.

One of the great thefts of the 70's, Rangers wanting Espo's man Kenny Hodge, and dealing Middleton to Boston to acquire Birmingham Kennny....

Hodge had once decent season with The Rangers before flaming out. Shifty took a couple seasons to find his high gear in Boston, but once he did he had 7 great seasons there before he slowed down at about the same age Kenny had in NY.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Have you ever seen Marchand play?

Middleton retired a few years before I started watching hockey (he retired in 1988 - I watched my first game in 1993), but I've seen highlights of his and know what kind of player he was.

Well if you think Middleton was "small" you clearly don't.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Dandy player that seems largely forgotten today unfortunately, as has been said here ..................great hands.

Theres lots of great goals in this but that one starting at 1:25.................whew!! what a beut!!

He was a tough son of a bitch too.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Thank you everyone for your knowledge/opinions!.....to learn this guy was not a schmuck by any means, had a cool nickname "nifty" (and the highlight package jj posted exemplified that which was awesome). Right hand shot, right winger...….dude had some skill! I love the History of Hockey forum.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
He may have been listed at 5'11', but in reality he wasn't.

I think he was about 5'10? A lot of listed heights (and weights) are spurious, not only in today's game but historically. Park, for instance, was originally listed at 6'0, if true he must have shrunk quite a bit, because in team photos if you see him next to some players whose height was pretty well established, he looks closer to 5'9.

Last edited:

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Thank you everyone for your knowledge/opinions!.....to learn this guy was not a schmuck by any means, had a cool nickname "nifty" (and the highlight package jj posted exemplified that which was awesome). Right hand shot, right winger...….dude had some skill! I love the History of Hockey forum.

He was good enough to have THREE nicknames...

Nifty
Wheels
Tricky Rick

The thing with Middleton is he was a bit better than just his offensive stats would indicate as he was very good defensively and was also used as a penalty killer. Perhaps the truest way to evaluate a player is by the opinions of those who played with or against said player. I don't think many of his contemporaries would have a problem with him being in the HOF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->